Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: Question to admins about Beta

I’d like to know how many people in closed beta are 220+. And why people under 220 were chosen since the new boss will be 220 and that will presumably be the jewel in the crown of the update. I appreciate the efforts VR are making to get us new and different content but the closed beta selection seems to be who talks a lot on the forum regardless of level, raid experience, closed beta experience or even how much they actually play.

The Closed beta crew for Gardens were brilliant.. invested in the best possible update, really active in the beta and able to make great suggestions based on their in-depth experience of the game at all levels. The reason being those people applied and had to explain what they could offer, their level etc and availability before being accepted.
The new boss being the "jewel in the crown" is subjective. I for one really couldn't care less about another endgame boss, I'm more interested in seeing what other new content is going to be added in the game. I know most players are only interested in new endgame loot, but I sincerely doubt that's going to be the only new thing added with the entire map. As such, I doubt that it's the main focus of any testing VR wants done. It ain't all about the endgame (until the 26th) ;)

That being said, obviously VR decides what they want the testers to focus on at each stage in the beta. I'm sure they have their reasons and an overall gameplan for how they are going about this closed beta, as well as who was chosen to participate at this point.
Have questions about anything? PM me!
Alternatively, you can rarely find me online in Sulis.
Go team #WorldSkillsUSA2019!
Harbinger of cold hard logic and reason.
Check out the player-run Celtic Heroes Database!: celticheroesdb.com!

Hi, as a beta tester, there have been all kinds of players picked. Not necessarily the players that have them on Line and are end-game experienced and such. There are lower lvl players as well.

I believe the picking has been mainly done based on forums participation, and how well informed each player was. Being active is one thing, being a seasoned player who has very good grasp on the game is another. The non-eg players were mainly picked for non-eg testing.
The first rule of Closed Beta is you don’t talk about Closed Beta!
6B91F751-EF75-408B-93D3-090681EF70C2.png
(thats leaking btw :p)
As bitey showed, there is no leaking on the beta except what VR allows (like saying theres new boss, therefore ofc new gear). Im not entirely against handpicking players, as we have seen in most past betas the result was bad (bt, necro and gele all buffed/nerfed multiple times). So if so far the result of every beta was bad, I dont see why not try something new.

Would u be happier if u were in beta, even if ur not best fit (no one specific), or if u werent in beta but instead someone whos likely a more experienced player was in and the result would be much better? In other words, what makes u happier - the prestige of being beta tester, or a successful result of beta?
#NerfMages #AvoidBalance #WhyPlayARogue #MeatShieldOnly #HealingSlavesOnly

OP dps warrior on Belenus, hot af melee druid on Nuada. #Elementals #Apex

The first rule of Closed Beta is you don’t talk about Closed Beta!
6B91F751-EF75-408B-93D3-090681EF70C2.png
Some people simply don’t understand the rules of fight club smh
Zkills, Proud general of the beloved KodiakReavers of Belenus, the G.O.A.T clan

Professor/Detective Zkills, op mage of Epona, chieftain of KodiakReavers. Server banned for doing PvP in arena.

Can you do the impossible?
Celtic Heroes Ultimate Challenge

In my opinion, it depends on what VR wants tested. If they just want to test the general user experience, or test for bugs, there isn't really a need for players with vast amounts of game knowledge or experience with prior betas. You would want someone with a very close attention to detail, who can spend large amounts of time repeating the same things multiple times trying to break it. Beta testing is actually one of the most boring things to do in game development...it tends to be highly repetitive, doing the same thing a hundred different times to try and see if anything breaks. The downside of open betas (and even closed betas occasionally) is that most people don't do that...they use it as a chance to see the new stuff before everyone else...which is completely understandable, but that's not the point of betas.

The fact that VR only picked certain people seems like a pretty smart choice to me. The last beta for the recent engine update turned into a "cliquey" gathering pretty quickly, with a lot of testers spending more time in the castle/arena than out looking for bugs and testing the new content.

Tbh, idrc about all that as long as I get the same prize(if there is any) for participating in open beta cuz that's just cold to hand-select people then let them pick the rest and give them all a special prize that's available to nobody else
I think this thought process is the main problem. Players want to participate in betas because of the reward, not because they want to contribute to the game. That's why I think there shouldn't be any reward, or at least severely limit it to only the players who contributed greatly - I liked that VR had requirements for the rewards in the last beta, I just hope that they are going to be strict in following them.

If players only participate in the beta to get the reward, they will almost always only do the absolute minimum required, because their focus is on what they get out of it, rather than what the company gets out of it. It makes way more sense to pick a selective group of players who VR knows will have good feedback and will be thorough in testing everything they are asked to.
I've always done beta and helped with bugs even without rewards lol but if they get a prize for being picked by other players to be in beta and nobody else does then that will be pretty unfair IMO, no prize is fine by me but only if everyone gets no prize lol

In my opinion, it depends on what VR wants tested. If they just want to test the general user experience, or test for bugs, there isn't really a need for players with vast amounts of game knowledge or experience with prior betas. You would want someone with a very close attention to detail, who can spend large amounts of time repeating the same things multiple times trying to break it. Beta testing is actually one of the most boring things to do in game development...it tends to be highly repetitive, doing the same thing a hundred different times to try and see if anything breaks. The downside of open betas (and even closed betas occasionally) is that most people don't do that...they use it as a chance to see the new stuff before everyone else...which is completely understandable, but that's not the point of betas.

The fact that VR only picked certain people seems like a pretty smart choice to me. The last beta for the recent engine update turned into a "cliquey" gathering pretty quickly, with a lot of testers spending more time in the castle/arena than out looking for bugs and testing the new content.

Tbh, idrc about all that as long as I get the same prize(if there is any) for participating in open beta cuz that's just cold to hand-select people then let them pick the rest and give them all a special prize that's available to nobody else
I think this thought process is the main problem. Players want to participate in betas because of the reward, not because they want to contribute to the game. That's why I think there shouldn't be any reward, or at least severely limit it to only the players who contributed greatly - I liked that VR had requirements for the rewards in the last beta, I just hope that they are going to be strict in following them.

If players only participate in the beta to get the reward, they will almost always only do the absolute minimum required, because their focus is on what they get out of it, rather than what the company gets out of it. It makes way more sense to pick a selective group of players who VR knows will have good feedback and will be thorough in testing everything they are asked to.
I've always done beta and helped with bugs even without rewards lol but if they get a prize for being picked by other players to be in beta and nobody else does then that will be pretty unfair IMO, no prize is fine by me but only if everyone gets no prize lol
Well last open beta prizes were given to those who participated the most with feedback/suggestions/bug reports... so if you stayed in the castle spamming chests not actually testing anything then you didn’t get a prize. They might do something along the lines of that again so there should be no concerns over what you’re talking about
Zkills, Proud general of the beloved KodiakReavers of Belenus, the G.O.A.T clan

Professor/Detective Zkills, op mage of Epona, chieftain of KodiakReavers. Server banned for doing PvP in arena.

Can you do the impossible?
Celtic Heroes Ultimate Challenge

Well last open beta prizes were given to those who participated the most with feedback/suggestions/bug reports... so if you stayed in the castle spamming chests not actually testing anything then you didn’t get a prize. They might do something along the lines of that again so there should be no concerns over what you’re talking about
Coolio lol I just don't want it to be unfair to where you pretty much get an exclusive item for being friends with someone xD

The android BT Gardens open beta was not much interesting since (to my knowledge) we only had enough to attempt faction bosses.

Hope for this area you include toons from all worlds and both Android/IoS so all can learn more about the mechanics and test the new functionalities.