Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

State of the game / ideas to rejuvenate

We are all very aware of the current state of the game. Practically every server outside of Epona has maybe 100 to 200 active players (daily active players, excluding toons) and new players are becoming increasingly more rare. CH is solely kept alive by ancient players, but even they are slowly dying off. If there are no serious fundamental changes in the near future, servers will start dying off 1 by 1. With that being said, I have come up with a short list of ideas that could help rejuvenate the game, bring in new players and give the ancient players that much needed excitement that CH seems to be lacking. Please feel free to include any ideas y'all might have aswell in the comments (Maybe just maybe we can get some feedback from mods about something possibly coming in the near future).

1) Server merge

I think that this is the number one suggestion that would save this game. Merging servers would bring back a much needed sense of competition that this game hasn't seen in years and could lead to so many new opportunities and drastic changes to the current game play. A server merge could create massive power shifts, new clans, increased competition (which could lead to a much higher player retention), evolved economies and new friendships. Many people argue that one of the biggest issues with merging servers would be the change in server economies, but I believe that players would quickly adjust and that the positives drastically outweigh any negatives.

2) New maps, bosses, drops

A strong solution to the problem of player retention rates could be new content. Most players today primarily stick around because of boss raids and the possibility of extremely rare gear. If a new map were to be introduced for the endgame players, with new higher xp mobs (to make leveling at endgame more possible), new bosses (not just 1 or 2, I'm talking like fill the map with incredibly difficult/op bosses), new item drops to compliment the (now) higher leveled players and bosses, and a new main questline, then I feel old players would be more inclined to stay awhile AND this could possibly even remotivate players that may have quit to come back.

3) Advertising

This one is pretty self explanatory but I'll go into it slightly. A healthy game requires a constant flow of new players, something CH just doesn't have. I've never seen advertising of any form for this game, and I had to specifically search for it in app store to download. For a game as truly epic as CH is, it's a shame that so few people know it even exists.

4) Make the game more immersive

Cooking and fishing were very smart additions to the game, providing secondary activities players can partake in that helps the game feel fresh. Coming up with more activities will help keep the game more exciting, providing players with alternative things to do outside of just constant grinding and bossing. Some ideas include armor/weapon forging, fashion tailoring, item enchanting and potion making.

5) New character class/classes

Adding a 6th class to the game could renew interest from the older players, and provide a more immersive and personalized experience. Perhaps they could also go into the route of subclasses (auto attack rogue vs skill based rogue, fire mage vs ice mage, tank vs dps warrior) and include a few subclass specific skills, abilities and buffs/debuffs.

This is just a short list of possible changes that I believe could breathe a new life into CH. It's a shame to watch a game this beautiful slowly die. Please add any ideas you guys might have, and perhaps someone important will see this and maybe even give us some insights of the future of CH.

Re: State of the game / ideas to rejuvenate

I don’t think that new maps are needed. The game is very expansive as it is. Rather I think that an adjustment to the current mob makeup in current maps is over due.

My suggestion is to redo the beginner quest line so that once you are level 30 then you quest through shalemont ravine in a 3- 4 hour worth series of quest path to advance to level 180 and you get full DL armor. Then redo stonevale, fingal, sewers, murky, Carrow, OW to have level 180-220 mobs but all faction based. Have shops in each zone that require level 4 faction of that zone to purchase from them. Reset the shops with different gear every 3 months and reset faction to 0 at the same time. This would keep the content fresh and keep people engaged in those amazingly designed maps.

Redo Aggy, Mord, Necro, Hrung, etc to be faction bosses for those zones that drop augments for the faction gear you buy.
World - Gwydion - semi retired in 2020
- restarted in 2022 on Herne - 220 (rogue)

Searching for the next adventure.

I don’t think that new maps are needed. The game is very expansive as it is. Rather I think that an adjustment to the current mob makeup in current maps is over due.

My suggestion is to redo the beginner quest line so that once you are level 30 then you quest through shalemont ravine in a 3- 4 hour worth series of quest path to advance to level 180 and you get full DL armor. Then redo stonevale, fingal, sewers, murky, Carrow, OW to have level 180-220 mobs but all faction based. Have shops in each zone that require level 4 faction of that zone to purchase from them. Reset the shops with different gear every 3 months and reset faction to 0 at the same time. This would keep the content fresh and keep people engaged in those amazingly designed maps.

Redo Aggy, Mord, Necro, Hrung, etc to be faction bosses for those zones that drop augments for the faction gear you buy.
I like this idea. +1

I think when players contradict other players' suggestions it makes the developers think the suggestion is invalid and do nothing.

That said, I think the suggestions were a good start but unrealistic assumptions. My server has maybe 10 players left and not online at the same time so maybe they're alts of the same account. Most players dont play actively on my server but log in when someone announces a boss on Line or Discord. My server didnt slowly die off either, it had a stroke one day and was never active again.

Server merge wont work. As others have said before, the game relies on scarcity economy and a player moving their rare lux inventory to a server would destroy that server's economy. You said you dont think it would destroy the economy but the players would adjust. How? You have to give more than just a guess to make an argument.

I believe new maps are needed because this has always filled zones with players after every expansion. Players want to experience new things. in reality, when players get max level the other content is trivialized so they get bored and quit. players dont need quick experience to get max level so they dive off the cliff sooner. they want to appreciate the scenery on a stroll up the mountain. Players say they want max level, but its the chase thats interesting, the hope of becoming stronger. They dont actually want to be at the top of the mountain because its boring up there. Its the climb thay keeps us interested. Same with better gear. Players want to chase the upgrades. New bosses with better gear would trivialize the old gear and make progression more worthless.

I think the game has a flawed strategy of not advertising so it doesnt add new players which are needed to raid. Bosses require dozens of players but the game's losing players. I never thought the idea of 50 players competing for 3 drops was a good idea. The graphics and playerbase doesnt support it. I also didnt like the tradeable economy because it doesnt allow main accounts to get gear. the top alliance hoards the best gear and doesnt sell so they dont have boss competition. there should be a better drop system so other players can progress. in my opinion most players have quit because they couldnt compete for the best gear and advance. the top clan always preventer competition. this is enough to read and not sure if its worth more discussion as the game has died.

I think the game has a flawed strategy of not advertising so it doesnt add new players which are needed to raid.
I agree with this, but I see the solution very different than you. I notice lots of the players here seem to hold the stance that making endgame better will bring in new players. I don't think this is a great method. At this point, the climb to get to the point you can actually join clans, fight bosses, and play with your friends is far too long. The game needs to push players into the game much faster.

Ether that, or else there needs to be a system that allows players to play with their friends without being a similar level. I can't recommend a game to a friend that will require hundreds of hours of their time just to be able to play with me in some meaningful sense.

I see one possibility for Celtic Heroes being that they could follow in the footsteps of Runescape and release an older build of the game. Runescape still has it's issues, but that single handedly saved their game. An old build of the game would let them rebuild from where things went wrong. I'm not sure what the logistics of this would be, but I know quite a few people that would return to play V1, 2, or 3 of CH.

Server merges won’t help. Combining 2 dead servers won’t magically make a booming server like say Epona. Not sure what this “it’ll ruin the economy” nonsense is, as almost every economy is already ruined. The economy will stay dead, and all it’ll likely be is a drama infested dom clan vs dom clan showdown until one side quits (and that’s just the endgame players, think of all the poor souls outside of the dom clans), players will leave the game if they haven’t already due to an unwanted merge (there is no way everyone will be on board with the idea), and the mega server is now a mega dead server.
As Epona shows, a big population of players is not a good thing for this game until the game expands, both in server limits and the content within. Server merges cannot happen until those two things happen, as well as avoiding an all out drama frenzy between 2 dom clans which would be a destabilizing disaster waiting to happen. Might sound fun right? No, that same drama is why dom servers are ghost towns today, and why any real competition basically doesn’t exist anymore on most servers that once had it.

Advertising won’t do squat unless Deca were willing to spend millions on TV ads. News flash, they aren’t. Word of mouth is effective if the game itself is good, and naturally it’ll gain more exposure via YouTubers and possibly streamers, which are the main forces of modern day advertisement. Luckily both of which are completely free, that is if you have a decent game on your hands with good gameplay that provides content. I think it’s a real problem when new players rarely seem to make it past carrowmore, or even Otherworld for that matter.

Which is what the game needs… more/improved content. Not just endgame, every stage of the game. It’s a mess. The zones are all stretched thin, the quest pacing is horrendous because of how many levels there are and stretched thin zones, and leveling itself is a nightmare because of all things mentioned before. Endgame is lackluster for those who reach it. Easy/bug infested raids, horrible power creep, and a mostly dead endgame community who only log when a boss is due.

What the game also needs is a complete overhaul. What OTM tried to envision way back in the day was not the correct vision for a well off successful mmo. Which this game clearly is not given the 3 company transitions, and a declining state of player satisfaction which started in the later years of the OTM era (2016 id say, maybe late 2015). Systems need to be changed, game pacing needs to be changed, and the overall design needs to be changed. Dom clan servers aren’t working, obviously. Everyone flooding to Epona is not working, the server reaches capacity regularly upsetting everyone. Deca needs to do a deep dive into what has been successful in terms of player satisfaction and revenue generated, because generally the more satisfied the players are, that’s when you’ll start to see more spenders. What server generates the most revenue? I’m talking about what works now, not what worked in the past. Gamer mind sets change overtime, the market reacts differently, and the market in general has evolved considerably since when this game first launched and the “glory” years of this game.

First off, have you tried updating your drivers? That could be the issue, sometimes newer hardware can have compatibility issues with older games. Second, have you tried playing some simpler games like arcade games or racing games online? These types of games tend to be less demanding on hardware and might give you a better idea of whether the issue is with your PC or the games you're trying to play. Lastly, it could also be a problem with your system specs, maybe the games you're trying to play are too demanding for your current set up? It wouldn't hurt to check your PC's specs against the system requirements for the games you're trying to play to make sure everything's a match.

Server merge wont work. As others have said before, the game relies on scarcity economy and a player moving their rare lux inventory to a server would destroy that server's economy.
I find this so comical. The game is on its way out, honestly if it keeps going the way it is it wont make it to 2024, and people are concerned about the raid item they have on a dead server?

The problem with this game is 100% the leveling experience. The game doesn't advertise, so it only grows through word of mouth. But what am I supposed to tell my friends? "Hey, come play this game with me. Your going to have to wait for double plat day, spend a couple hundred bucks, then do nothing but farm mobs for a couple hundred hours until you are a high enough level to play with me. But don't worry, because once you hit a high enough level, you will have to spend days and days fishing to buy a bunch of sigils, assuming you can find someone selling for gold. And if not, another couple hundred bucks. and all this just so you can log in every couple of days to raid a boss and compete in what is generally the most boring clan war in any game."

Wow did it right. They squshed the levels, made the grind to max level (yes, there is a max level and there should be) under 20 hours, added skins to monitize the game.

We are all very aware of the current state of the game. Practically every server outside of Epona has maybe 100 to 200 active players (daily active players, excluding toons) and new players are becoming increasingly more rare. CH is solely kept alive by ancient players, but even they are slowly dying off. If there are no serious fundamental changes in the near future, servers will start dying off 1 by 1. With that being said, I have come up with a short list of ideas that could help rejuvenate the game, bring in new players and give the ancient players that much needed excitement that CH seems to be lacking. Please feel free to include any ideas y'all might have aswell in the comments (Maybe just maybe we can get some feedback from mods about something possibly coming in the near future).

1) Server merge

I think that this is the number one suggestion that would save this game. Merging servers would bring back a much needed sense of competition that this game hasn't seen in years and could lead to so many new opportunities and drastic changes to the current game play. A server merge could create massive power shifts, new clans, increased competition (which could lead to a much higher player retention), evolved economies and new friendships. Many people argue that one of the biggest issues with merging servers would be the change in server economies, but I believe that players would quickly adjust and that the positives drastically outweigh any negatives.

2) New maps, bosses, drops

A strong solution to the problem of player retention rates could be new content. Most players today primarily stick around because of boss raids and the possibility of extremely rare gear. If a new map were to be introduced for the endgame players, with new higher xp mobs (to make leveling at endgame more possible), new bosses (not just 1 or 2, I'm talking like fill the map with incredibly difficult/op bosses), new item drops to compliment the (now) higher leveled players and bosses, and a new main questline, then I feel old players would be more inclined to stay awhile AND this could possibly even remotivate players that may have quit to come back.

3) Advertising

This one is pretty self explanatory but I'll go into it slightly. A healthy game requires a constant flow of new players, something CH just doesn't have. I've never seen advertising of any form for this game, and I had to specifically search for it in app store to download. For a game as truly epic as CH is, it's a shame that so few people know it even exists.

4) Make the game more immersive

Cooking and fishing were very smart additions to the game, providing secondary activities players can partake in that helps the game feel fresh. Coming up with more activities will help keep the game more exciting, providing players with alternative things to do outside of just constant grinding and bossing. Some ideas include armor/weapon forging, fashion tailoring, item enchanting and potion making.

5) New character class/classes

Adding a 6th class to the game could renew interest from the older players, and provide a more immersive and personalized experience. Perhaps they could also go into the route of subclasses (auto attack rogue vs skill based rogue, fire mage vs ice mage, tank vs dps warrior) and include a few subclass specific skills, abilities and buffs/debuffs.

This is just a short list of possible changes that I believe could breathe a new life into CH. It's a shame to watch a game this beautiful slowly die. Please add any ideas you guys might have, and perhaps someone important will see this and maybe even give us some insights of the future of CH.
+1 I’m an old player from back when it was One Thumb Mobile and I’ve just recently started playing again. It’s great to see threads like this one that give constructive ideas and opinions.
One idea I’d like to throw in there other than new improvements is if there is ever going to be an introduction of this game on console platforms or even computer platforms? That would help bring in a new wave of people and possibly bring some new life into the game. I’m not a coder and have no idea what it would take to do something like that and I’m not saying the game has to be changed in any way, just made accessible from other platforms like Xbox and PlayStation. I know there is other mmo games out there but this would just open the game up even more to other individuals that are looking for a similar game that’s also free to try. Other than that I’ve always enjoyed the seasons and chests events that normally used to occur It gives players something to want to try to obtain like fashion or pets.
Belenus
-Warrior 214
-Druid 182
-Ranger 175