Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Old engine

How awesome would it be if you could choose old engine or the new one, anyhow i talked to an admin a while back ago and he told me the old engine was long lost... i really loved the old engine, it was the graphics and that the weapons was actually held in the hands (i know you could still have them in ur hands if u change graphics) but still old running style and graphics and how you cast spells, i loved it :(

Re: Old engine

How awesome would it be if you could choose old engine or the new one, anyhow i talked to an admin a while back ago and he told me the old engine was long lost... i really loved the old engine, it was the graphics and that the weapons was actually held in the hands (i know you could still have them in ur hands if u change graphics) but still old running style and graphics and how you cast spells, i loved it :(
The old engine still exists, anyone who has a old version of CH has it. The server files might not though.

Changing between two engines(especially ones that are so different) midgame would be very difficult if not impossible(even would be hard to make separate apps), and that wouldnt be the only problem. The old engine was made for iOS, not android, so it would have to be ported too(and it took a while to get android to ios on the unity update). Long story short, its not happening.
World - Lugh
Furyion - 192 Ice Mage
Stonelord - 100 PvP Warrior
Lavalord - 60 PvP Warrior
Keepin' it old school.
Do you like Celtic Heroes? Join the Official Unofficial Discord today!
https://discord.gg/mPHnzmr

Old engine only seems good because of nostalgia. I’d honestly prefer how things are now days because everything is so much better to look at. One thing VR should implement however is the ability to hold your weapons in your hands instead of having them holstered on your side and back (some weapons simply look dumb on your side or back lol. For example skulls).
Zkills, Proud general of the beloved KodiakReavers of Belenus, the G.O.A.T clan

Professor/Detective Zkills, op mage of Epona, chieftain of KodiakReavers. Server banned for doing PvP in arena.

Can you do the impossible?
Celtic Heroes Ultimate Challenge

The old engine still exists, anyone who has a old version of CH has it. The server files might not though.

Changing between two engines(especially ones that are so different) midgame would be very difficult if not impossible(even would be hard to make separate apps), and that wouldnt be the only problem. The old engine was made for iOS, not android, so it would have to be ported too(and it took a while to get android to ios on the unity update). Long story short, its not happening.
There's some other factors that would need to be considered as well - I believe the old engine was completely home-built, and I'd be surprised if any of the original developers are still on the project after 7-8 years (especially with the move from OTM to VR)...so it could be pretty hard to figure the code in the old engine/server out. Also, Apple's app store upload requirements have changed drastically since 2012, and it might take a lot of work to update things in order to even be able to put it on the stores, let alone port it to Android like Fury said.

I also agree with Zkills that it's most likely just nostalgia at work - if an old version of the game were to actually come back, I think a lot of people would be sorely disappointed (both existing players going back to reminisce, and new players who find it instead of the actual CH and see a game that is 8 years out of date).
Have questions about anything? PM me!
Alternatively, you can rarely find me online in Sulis.
Go team #WorldSkillsUSA2019!
Harbinger of cold hard logic and reason.
Check out the player-run Celtic Heroes Database!: celticheroesdb.com!

Old engine only seems good because of nostalgia. I’d honestly prefer how things are now days because everything is so much better to look at. One thing VR should implement however is the ability to hold your weapons in your hands instead of having them holstered on your side and back (some weapons simply look dumb on your side or back lol. For example skulls).
Yeah weapons in your hands is my biggest wish then xdd

Agreed, I also want to be able to walk like how old times use to those stupid 2013 walking animation.
I hope that one day, I will be able to ascend to "Heaven".
Where I play guitar and violin along with sipping a tea.
In a beautiful and breathtaking place and to converse in many languages.
That is my dream. That is my "Heaven"

I realize you want it to do both weapons in hands probably in full graphics but I believe if you put fast graphics on it does exactly that without ever holstering your weapon.
Ashley A - 222 Mage - Novalis - Mabon
000000000000000 - 216 Rogue - Novalis - Mabon
Azona - 210 Druid - Novalis - Mabon

Then some Epona toons yo

I realize you want it to do both weapons in hands probably in full graphics but I believe if you put fast graphics on it does exactly that without ever holstering your weapon.
What does fast graphics exactly do when turned on lol. Turned it on to try and see what the difference is between having it on and off but I couldn’t see any ._. I’ve always played on maxed graphics
Zkills, Proud general of the beloved KodiakReavers of Belenus, the G.O.A.T clan

Professor/Detective Zkills, op mage of Epona, chieftain of KodiakReavers. Server banned for doing PvP in arena.

Can you do the impossible?
Celtic Heroes Ultimate Challenge

What does fast graphics exactly do when turned on lol. Turned it on to try and see what the difference is between having it on and off but I couldn’t see any ._. I’ve always played on maxed graphics
Some games have 2 different textures/models for things, one for close range(high poly/quality), and one for far away(low poly/quality). The far away ones are ment to look awful to save power/speed, and you probably wont even notice it from a distance. I dont think celtic heroes does this, but it does(or at least did) have several versions of some graphics for different devices(to help lower end ones run the game). If I remember right, fast graphics swapped all multioption textures/animations with their lowest quality ones to help make the game run faster.

I just booted up the game to test it out, and fast graphics did revert my axe stance to the old style, but I didn't notice much else. I also tried fast terrain, which removed some of the hay on the ground by the auction house. I think fast graphics is in a half broken state, it probably wasn't updated/supported for some time, either by the extra work it would require(downscaling the textures and copying them, along with coding it in), or a lack of interest/demand(most newer phones run ch fine).

Heres some old pictures of mine from when I tried to play the new engine on my ipod 4(might have had fast graphics on).
Attachments
4295.jpg
4295.jpg (208.2 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
4294.jpg
4294.jpg (154.01 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
4293.jpg
4293.jpg (182.67 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
World - Lugh
Furyion - 192 Ice Mage
Stonelord - 100 PvP Warrior
Lavalord - 60 PvP Warrior
Keepin' it old school.
Do you like Celtic Heroes? Join the Official Unofficial Discord today!
https://discord.gg/mPHnzmr

Some games have 2 different textures/models for things, one for close range(high poly/quality), and one for far away(low poly/quality). The far away ones are ment to look awful to save power/speed, and you probably wont even notice it from a distance. I dont think celtic heroes does this, but it does(or at least did) have several versions of some graphics for different devices(to help lower end ones run the game). If I remember right, fast graphics swapped all multioption textures/animations with their lowest quality ones to help make the game run faster.

I just booted up the game to test it out, and fast graphics did revert my axe stance to the old style, but I didn't notice much else. I also tried fast terrain, which removed some of the hay on the ground by the auction house. I think fast graphics is in a half broken state, it probably wasn't updated/supported for some time, either by the extra work it would require(downscaling the textures and copying them, along with coding it in), or a lack of interest/demand(most newer phones run ch fine).

Heres some old pictures of mine from when I tried to play the new engine on my ipod 4(might have had fast graphics on).

I forget which one but one for sure removes a lot of detail like how stairs are a slope instead of detailed steps but I am pretty sure thats terrain.
Ashley A - 222 Mage - Novalis - Mabon
000000000000000 - 216 Rogue - Novalis - Mabon
Azona - 210 Druid - Novalis - Mabon

Then some Epona toons yo