Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Gear swapping on Ranger

So...I have been considering something recently quite a bit. Gear switching is something most do since it helps maximize the use of your skills. However, I was wondering if it was worth it for the rangers. Rangers are the most auto-oriented class in the game as far as I know and gear switching seems to bring up a slight conflict. Let's focus on the rings for a second. Let's assume you have 4 runic rings (using them for example since they are most common), is it worth taking one of those out so that you can gear switch? There would be a lot of auto dps and attack, but would it make it up with the opportunity to use more skills?
The only rings that are slightly an exception to this are prot rings since the have either dex or str, but the attack aspect is still lost. 400 attack may not be that significant but you can scale it up to oblivion and bt rings for discussion

Vini, Vidi, Vici (I came, I saw, I conquered) - Julius Caesar
An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, and evil for evil - Rei Ogami

Re: Gear swapping on Ranger

You don't take one of them out permanently. You generally choose your weakest ring as the swap out one. Let's say your weakest ring is a runic and you want to use a royal gele sharpshot ring. Have your runic on, swap to sharp shot, then swap back to runic until it is time to use a skill and repeat.
Kindredd Main Ranger level 224
Naharis Rogue 200
Clan Havoc

Kindredd wrote:You don't take one of them out permanently. You generally choose your weakest ring as the swap out one. Let's say your weakest ring is a runic and you want to use a royal gele sharpshot ring. Have your runic on, swap to sharp shot, then swap back to runic until it is time to use a skill and repeat.

But if you actually decide to gear swap, then that would mean that the runic would only be active for like 1 or 2 autos. With swapping, it is assumed you get enough gear to max double, sharp, longshot, and possibly barbered. By the time you cast all of those, one of the skills would nearly be up again and there would be no point switching to that runic again

Vini, Vidi, Vici (I came, I saw, I conquered) - Julius Caesar
An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, and evil for evil - Rei Ogami

flame1striker wrote:
Kindredd wrote:You don't take one of them out permanently. You generally choose your weakest ring as the swap out one. Let's say your weakest ring is a runic and you want to use a royal gele sharpshot ring. Have your runic on, swap to sharp shot, then swap back to runic until it is time to use a skill and repeat.

But if you actually decide to gear swap, then that would mean that the runic would only be active for like 1 or 2 autos. With swapping, it is assumed you get enough gear to max double, sharp, longshot, and possibly barbered. By the time you cast all of those, one of the skills would nearly be up again and there would be no point switching to that runic again

Welcome to the decision between a skill or auto build lol.

It seems like what you are talking about isn’t specifically related to hotswapping itself, but is more about the decision between auto damage or skill damage. Yes, if you use more skills you will lose out on auto damage - the idea is that the skill damage more than makes up for any lost auto damage. If you have a problem with losing out on auto attacks by using double, sharp, longshot, and barbed shot...then simply don’t use all those skills. Just because hotswapping gear is an option doesn’t mean you have to use it.

I think Kindredd’s reply is the most common use case. You have a boost ring for one or maybe two of your skills on your hotbar, switch to them just before casting the skill, then switch back.
Eragon123 - lvl 220 ranger
Zamorak1 - lvl 220 mage
Retribution - Sulis
Sneaky o.O
Have questions about anything? PM me!

Latest Celtic Heroes Database Update: Character Creator! Go Team #WorldSkillsUSA!