Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: 180+ Spear

I wouldn't go spear ranger. Makes most of your skills useless, and takes away the one true advantage a ranger has - ranged attacks
Unless you're gonna bolas mobs while you're lixing which sucks and takes away from dps, then you won't have a lot of ranged attack. Most of the time except for if a ranger gets off a long shot, they're shooting arrows at the same distance the other classes are attacking mobs.

Rangers have the range advantage at bosses, not lixing mobs.

So what then if a spear and offhand does more dmg than a bow and quiver?
Zyz 220 Druid
Noah Fences 220 Rogue

I wouldn't go spear ranger. Makes most of your skills useless, and takes away the one true advantage a ranger has - ranged attacks
Unless you're gonna bolas mobs while you're lixing which sucks and takes away from dps, then you won't have a lot of ranged attack. Most of the time except for if a ranger gets off a long shot, they're shooting arrows at the same distance the other classes are attacking mobs.

Rangers have the range advantage at bosses, not lixing mobs.

So what then if a spear and offhand does more dmg than a bow and quiver?
Thats what i thought but people told me rangers' quiver are far superior to the offhand axe/ dagger. Maybe the 20 more piercing damage (as it seems from most vendor shops) from spears would even out the dps or even better, higher dps ! :)
If so, spearing would be awesome for mini bosses and leveling:3

There's a friend of mine that uses bow and quiver at bosses but lixes with spear and pierce dagger. He said he runs high str and the spear and dagger do more damage than using a bow and quiver. Now it's a mord spear and that makes quite a bit of difference vs the vendor spear
Zyz 220 Druid
Noah Fences 220 Rogue

There's a friend of mine that uses bow and quiver at bosses but lixes with spear and pierce dagger. He said he runs high str and the spear and dagger do more damage than using a bow and quiver. Now it's a mord spear and that makes quite a bit of difference vs the vendor spear
That same as what i did for a long time before people starte getting mad with the spear lol. In a str build the only think i was missing out on was steady aim but can switch to bow then cast and then back to spear so rly, spear is better dps for leveling. I was using a shadow mordis spear and spite dagger to level and bow at bosses. I am also high str build and imo spear is more fun anyway :)
Arawn
Ventius - level 227 ranger of dawn
Epona
Ventius - level 222 noob ranger of Enigma
Belenus
Ventius - level 163 druid

RIP badabing

Your newest blue name who has dreams to one day be purple

My first ranger I played spear for 85% of my levels. Once I hit 180 I used a Mordi spear because I didn't have DL and tower bows weren't out by then.

I definitely got more damage out of a Spear/Dagger/Axe combo than I did the bow that I had + quiver.

By end game, the majority of rangers are using mostly auto damage only. People say that your skills are less to choose from with a spear... in a sense yes, but as an end game ranger who uses mostly autos it's almost the same.

Most bow rangers I assume use :
Sharpen
Steady
Double Shot
+ whatever else they feel (heal/entangle/maybe Sharp Shot if more dexy)

Spear ranger end game:
Sharpen
Rapid
Double Strike
Entangle

Other than losing range, there's not a whole lot of difference between the skill layout IMO besides losing the ability to Steady Aim. With a DEX spear, you're essentially getting free attack/defense and the damage from the spear. You can also entangle those pesky 4* mobs who auto really hard.

You can simply switch to a bow for bossing as was stated. You still have really good auto damage switching back and forth from those two builds. I even went as far to use LongShot/SharpShot and a spear. I had Emberdrake Bracers with added direct damage + a Royal LS Spider ring, I would LS/SS the mob, as soon as it was running at me I'd hotbar my spear/dagger. Sure it was more work, but mobs died fast and being different is fun :mrgreen:

I've always found spear is slow but fun for leveling.

I did several levels using a cruel knife when OW first opened and leveled for a while at the end part of the Tribal Tunnel using Ymir's Bow.

If you can afford the Alt books to reskill it's fun to to try non Bow things. Eventually of course most people move back to bows. Never used a Mord Halberd but that sounds like a good alternative at higher levels eg 180+. I do wish Steady Aim worked for spears after all Spears can be thrown too.
Landoril 221 Ranger
Denoril 170 Rogue
Hateril. Hat holder
Pageril...well you get the idea

Epona (The little server that could)