Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Mage tanks?

Is it possible for a mage to tank? many of you may say no because of how "weak" mages seem, which is why the mage class is alienated. But today Darv of clan BERSERKERS(mage lvl88) has tanked iceking in lirs along with the boss conchatt by crookback hollows obviously with help of clansmates. Mages arent so weak after all, mage is the new warrior. Go figure! :D

DarkMagician
Druid
lvl65+
Lugh

Re: Mage tanks?

Mages aren't weak. They do great DPS but don't have as much armor. The problem with Mages as tanks are that their armor is about as strong as that of Druids, so they're about as good as a druid tank. If they use energy shield none can heal them in combat and unless their energy boost+equipment is good enough to sustain their energy on its own, this method is going to fail too.
Selene (Mage) 134 | Xellaya (Druid) 110
Clan: Uskoci
World: Arawn

Is it possible for a mage to tank? many of you may say no because of how "weak" mages seem, which is why the mage class is alienated. But today Darv of clan BERSERKERS(mage lvl88) has tanked iceking in lirs along with the boss conchatt by crookback hollows obviously with help of clansmates. Mages arent so weak after all, mage is the new warrior. Go figure! :D

DarkMagician
Druid
lvl65+
Lugh
I am a level 59 mage atm with about 70 focus and the rest of my stats are in vitality. My gear is: Connacht robe top and bottom, warden gloves and boots, and a wolf helmet (100resist slash). I am saving up for the 180k shield that regen hp and energy (other bonuses as well), and a heroic ammy. I get many comments saying that im a tough mage.
SirBlaze333 - 220+ Warrior
(Returning Player)

I haven't tried to tank bosses with my mage but with a mix of warden and ancient and 15 cloak I can tank most things, even Frostroots, which is an odd concept for a mage. The key is to get up close and have them kill themselves on the cloak.
Aoibheann - Ranger 87 - Serenity - Arawn
Beany - Mage 57 - Serenity - Arawn

ok. thats great that the said person is able to tank ice king. That does not prove your point about mages being a viable option as a tank. First, this person im sure used a ton of potions. A defense potion for starters and who know whatever else and how many of them. Anyone class can tank with the right number of potions. Someone posted when the servers let you dupe stuff they duped 200 potions. Then he went on to solo ice king. Second, no mages are no viable tanks because their armor is too low. Why would you let a mage tank vrs a monster that doesnt even use magic. Mage take considerably more damage than warriors.

In response to a post above about mages having great DPS. That is in fact wrong. Mages have about average DPS with no chance of getting better. No items in the item shop help mage damage. No items increase mage damage. If you want to agrue about this, then move over to the feedback boards and post under my thread.

i am that magetank. i used no pots just had good healers. i can also tank all of the stonevale bosses. i have full warden, so same resists as everyone else. i use mighty spirit shield to aid my armour. my cloak dishes out 80-120 damage every half a tick, i think that it is good dps and never lose aggro. so stop hating on mages. i also have a lvl91 warrior and my mage tanks better. when u have awesome druids its quite easy. mages are the most lethal class in the game

Hi Derv. Im not hating on mages. I want the mage play style to be reworked.

I talked to the warrior the tanks king normally and his armor goes to 969 with bark spell on him. I also am in full warden and my armor without offhand goes to 127. Add a shield and bark to that and you still will not come close to that amount of armor.

In regard to cloak of fire and energy shield. There is no reason why you have to be tanking to take advantage of cloak. Just cast it on the tank and do the same amount of damage. Energy shield is a little wacky. So you spam energy shield when giant swing strikes and you get hit for very little. That is very risky and not worth the effort when a tank can just stand there and take the beating.

I dont see how mages are most lethal. It is not skills hit, melee hit, or most kills.

Sorry if the above is a little sarcastic. If you have any suggestions for me i would gladly respec and restat to try your template out. I would be very happy to find out that i am wrong.

I am really interested in this thread :)

I like using my mage, but they are not the most lethal. Claok of fire is amazing, but as a mage, i find myself relying on it. The mages in this game could use some more dps. You may disagree, but it is better to have mages that feel like they are the strongest, over many that think they are under powered. See what im getting at?

I, by no mean, hate on mages or the devs. It's just my oppinion. If you don't mind restat-ing, i would like to get your oppinion of my build (you are a higher level, so obviously put more points than me, but keep the same ratio or higher the vitality in the ratio). At my currant level, it's an amazing build.
SirBlaze333 - 220+ Warrior
(Returning Player)