Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: Mages please post feedback

So far, I think that the mage is pretty right on. I saw some of the skills that are to come and, they seem promising.
I made an all focus mage :).
IGN: Nito (Mage)
IGN: Nitio (Druid)
World: Mabon
Clan: Rebels

However, I have noticed some delay casting.
For example, the skill Firebolt will be all the way loaded green and it won't cast right away.
It takes an extra few seconds. There have been times where I have died because of this.

I have played a Mage in many many RPGs - both online and off, so I feel I have a fairly good understanding of how the class is supposed to work. Let me say that the skills you have given to the Mage class are pretty much spot on for how a fragile ranged dmg dealer is supposed to play. That being said however, I have noticed a couple of MAJOR issues:

1) since the Mage is entirely dependent on it's skills, they need to be incredibly hard hitting, and or tactical in nature (which with ice skills coming seems you will address), but as a lvl 25 Mage with 185 in fire proficiency and a lvl 10 fireball, I notice that my skills hit for between 60 and 90 dmg... On 1 star enemies at lvl 20. This means it takes 2-3 hits of fireball to bring down something that I have witnessed lvl 14 rogues killing in 1 blow. I have a lvl 20 warrior with 60 in armed combat that does 60-70 dmg on those same enemies, but with twice the armor. In short balance issues across all classes in terms of dmg vs role should be re- evaluated.

2) related to 1) is that skill oriented classes NEED mana regen to be viable in team play. I currently have to wait upwards of 20 mins for my 280 energy bar to refill 1 time. Meaning I am forced to hit with my wand for 6 dmg once I run out. I understand that the item shop has an item to increase the mana regen, but I would be virtually forced to buy 20 or more in order to have a somewhat decent regen. Health regen is not an issue as there are healing skills avaiable to all classes.
In short, melee classes have str to increase dmg, as well as proficiency with the skill, where as mages ONLY have profiency to up their dmg, and not nearly enough energy regen to use their skills efficiently.

I apologize if I appear to be trolling, that is not my intent. I feel you have a great game on your hands that many people will, and do enjoy, myself being one. I simply feel that a few basics of gameplay should be re-evaluated is all. I am also all for the Devs earning their fair share from the item shop, but it should not be mandatory for some classes to be forced to make purchases in order to compete evenly.

As for suggestions:
Perhaps make energy regen a percentage of focus, rather than a flat +2 per tick.
To help combat the dmg issue, perhaps give offensive skills an increased rate of gaining proficiency (and a high limit per lvl), as well as a slight dmg boost- (I feel the 20 cost of a lvl 10 fireball is perfect, but it should do the kind of dmg expected of a very expensive skill).
As for the item shop- unique armor/weapons for each class based on lvl, or a boost of xp or gold often make great purchases. If mounts are introduced, unique mounts for sale.

Again I only mean to put foreword constructive criticism, and would like to applaud the Devs for creating a free game of this calibre. I feel the game has great potential and encourage my friends to check it out.
New to the game? Find your answers here: Tips for Beginners

“A man only becomes wise when he begins to calculate the approximate depth of his ignorance.” -Gian Carlo Menotti

Now that I am getting into the higher level mobs. I believe we should of had a single target freeze or stun skill.
That one firebolt spell and that cloak of fire just don't cut it if you are sticking to what armor a mage should wear and not doing anything heavier than Silk.

Mages are going to get:

New ability - ice magic
Ice shards - largest direct damage skill in the game so far
Energy well - increase total energy(self or other)
Energy shield - use your energy instead of health when taking damage
Lure of ice - reduce targets resistance to cold damage
Lure of fire - reduce targets resistance to heat damage

With the lures, the new nuke and the energy well/shield the mage should be able to kill things before they lose any health

Also they are getting some kind of magic orb items for offhand, ideas welcome on what that should do because they are not finished yet!

That makes it easier.
But, between using energy shield and casting, mages will have no energy left.
I still think the regen stats should be based on vitality for health and focus for energy.

Currently the energy shield is just for self, it could be for others but then it could be used to annoy people e.g. making them use up all their energy.

So probably it will be self-only until we have a 'cancel effect' button (currently effects are shown on your hud under the health/energy bar) and you can click them to see the effect

Thoughts? Would you like to be able to cast it as a buff?