Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Guide to the Professional Ranger

The Ranger Class

Rangers are without a doubt a very fun class to play with in endgame, although it can be a struggle without decent gear and the mid levels from 120-180, but the result can be extremely fruitful.

Rangers are a force to be reckoned with, but that requires immense patience and gear, lots of quality DPS gear that will be difficult to obtain if you're not in an end game clan raiding all bosses. There are also decent lux items out there that can substitute for raid drops, but you won't be up to the mark as a ranger.

If you're reading this and were already thinking about making a ranger then let me make it easy for you. If you can dual device or log any other amount of devices, you have to level a ranger. If your auto ranger has high enough attack, you can leave it autoing away at bosses with the occasional double shot, sharpshot, and buffs, while you command your other classes.

Making a ranger as your first hero is also worth it. You need to be patient and ready for the grind. It is not as easy to solo compared to warriors and rogues, but it pays off in the end. Playing a ranger is also a fantastic choice for the casual gamer who wants to take their time with levels and be economical.

Hope this thread will give a direction to all inspiring DPS rangers. :mrgreen:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Skills

Sharp Shot: DEX based skill that is useful at all levels and strongly recommended. Does not cancel an auto with its animation speed anymore.

Longshot: DEX based skill that is always useful, and pins down the enemy for a few seconds. Should be the first skill you cast on the mob followed by rapid shot. It is the strongest ranger damage skill. Do not use this skill if you're kiting a boss with your clan, the boss will be rooted and wreak havoc on the rogues.

Double Shot: a staple for an end game raiding ranger as all raid bosses possess high defence. This skill does not miss and is basically two autos in a skill. I recommend using this even while your haste elixir is active on all 6* tower EDL bosses, Hrungnir, Mordris, Necromancer, Event 6*, Proteus, and Gelebron. Your autos will not miss much if you have over 5000 attack on 5* bosses. Never max this skill. Keep it 5-10 levels above the mobs you're lixing on or at lvl220 if you're end game.

Steady Aim: recommended for all builds. Boosts attack and damage. Improved by adding DEX.

Sharpen Weapons: staple for end game gaming, boosts the damage of your fellow group members when casted on. Improved by DEX.

Barbed Shot: a damage over time skill, has an initial burst of damage that compares to your auto. Also has a cool casting animation. Boosted by DEX.

Rapid Shot : boosts your attack speed by 50%, same as a super combo and a super haste. This is a must have skill regardless of how many skill points are invested. It is still viable at lvl1. You can't be hasted all the time. Recommend skill for those who do not lix with haste or combo.

Light Heal: a nice support skill that can be used on yourself or on other heroes. A good option to have if you're facing bankruptcy. Boosted by DEX.

Defensive Spikes: a skill that does damage to mobs that attacks you. The damage is in the low hundreds. Boosted by DEX.

Bolas: a skill used to slow down enemies. This should be used on 3-4* mobs while lixing. Using it on a lower star mob will only waste the time on your lix. A skill you should definitely have if you're end game but do not have many tanks in clan or your bosses often rage. This helps solo 4* placeholder mobs in carrowmore and tower. Bolas further promotes kiting/walking: when a tank occasionally taunts the bolased boss and runs around it using travel lix/mount. This is a crucial skill to prevent your clan from wiping post rage. Never max this skill. Keep it 5-10 levels above the mobs you're lixing on or at lvl220 if you're end game.

Entangle: a skill that slows down mob attack speeds. Great for end game bossing, it's a must for raged bosses if the boss can't be kited: Mord, Hrung, and Gele. Do not recommend using this over bolas for leveling.

Conceal/Camo: two very similar skills that prevent mobs from detecting you. Good to use if you travel a lot in crowded locations. There are better skills out there than these so I don't recommend them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Builds

These are the different types of Rangers you will see on this game, and I will give you my opinion on them.

Bow Ranger - DEX: will be running builds containing longshot, sharp shot, steady aim, sharpen weapons, (optional) some might choose barbed shot. Leave aside 300 stat points for STR, while the rest in DEX, don't forget your HP. Autos will also pack a punch, but not as much, as this class will be running gear that directly boosts the damage of longshot/sharpshot, or dex gear over straight up damage/attack gear.

Powers up with: DEX = skills, STR = autos, ranged combat ability = skills damage/skill hit rate.

Bow Ranger - STR: will be running builds containing steady aim, sharpen weapons, rapid shot, double shot, (optional) bolas/light heal, some even include longshot in builds. Most points will be allocated in STR, put points in DEX if you do not use a DEX quiver. Autos will pack a bigger punch. This type of ranger works very well with damage boosting gear, and attack boosting gear if bossing. I recommend using super combo or haste elixir while lixing for the attack speed bonus. You can still manage with maxed rapid, it's the same as the attack speed from combo elixir.

Powers up with: DEX = buff skills, STR = autos, bow ability = attack and damage.

Bow Ranger - Hybrid: will be running builds containing sharpshot, steady aim, sharpen weapons, doubleshot (optional) bolas/light heal/rapid shot. Stats will be balanced between STR and DEX. This build is mostly viable at end game, even then you need to have the right combination of auto damage/skill damage gear. This is a popular setup for endgamers due to the attack that comes from the extra dex and boost to sharpshot.

Power up with: DEX = skills, STR = autos, bow ability = attack and damage, ranged combat ability = skill damage/skill hit rate.

Spear Ranger: will be running builds containing sharpen weapons, double attack, skewer. (optional) Majority of the points will be allocated in STR. You can also choose to hotbar your bow to cast steady aim. Use combo or haste elixirs while lixing. I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RECOMMEND TO USE A SPEAR. I have written that in caps so you don't waste your time with ability lixes as spear ranger is awful. If your mind is moving towards this direction ask this question to yourself: "Should I really be using a spear with bad skills when I can make a rogue and have better skills?"

Powers up with: DEX = skills, STR = autos, spear ability = attack and damage.

The Gear

Armour: full Warden -> full Meteor -> full Frozen -> full Dragonlord -> full Exalted Dragonlord -> Doch Gul: if given the choice, go for gloves, top, helm (if you don't have one with damage and attack), boots and finally pants.

Mord Helm: mord helm's are not entirely necessary as DL/EDL helm provides decent bonuses, but if you're an end game ranger seeking your pure potential, you will need to find a DPS helm.

Ranking from first priority to last priority, any helm not on this list should not be on your sights:

1. Helm of the Moon: dmg/energy/attack, poison damage is unresisted on all mobs except Necro, occasional Event, all tower mobs/EDL/Gele. (they slightly resist poison, but by no means make it a lesser of the damages) The attack bonus is great to counter the defense of end game bosses, while the energy is still useful as a ranger as you will be drained from your skills after a while.

2. Helm of the Earth: dmg/defence/attack, magic damage is the least resisted of damages in tower, that is where most of your action will occur if you're end game, Gele is also weak to magic damage. Attack bonus+. Defense isn't required by endgame rangers but if you're going in with this helm into the tower to lix, you can expect better EXP. This is the most well rounded mord helm in the game.

3. Helm of Duellists/Victory: energy/DEX/attack vs health/STR/attack, both helms are very similar. If you'd rather have more HP than energy then get Victory.

4. Helm of Secrets: health/FOC/attack, as a ranger the bonus HP and energy is never a bad thing, this is above crusades because energy takes the cake over defence, assuming your tank knows how to aggro.

5. Helm of Crusades: defence/VIT/attack, defence isn't all to great for rangers since you won't be tanking.

Bow: Warden bow -> Meteor bow -> Frozen (use Adamant bow if you have gold surplus) -> Dragonlord bow on chaos mobs, and despoiler/necro bows on non chaos mobs -> Exalted bow on chaos mobs, and Gele bow on non chaos mobs.

Quiver: I recommend using elemental quivers if you find yourself lixing with a fire/ice mage most of the time. They must have points in lures. Use fire quiver if they're a fire mage. Use ice quiver if they're an ice mage. If your mage buddy uses assassins lure and you do not have a haste ring or have a better replacement for your haste ring, then use a pierce+haste quiver.

Otherworld lvl50 quiver -> Carrowmore beasts/air quiver lvl100 -> Carrowmore wild/wind quiver lvl150 on non chaos mobs, DL quiver on chaos mobs -> Tower elemental/savagery quiver lvl180 on non chaos mobs, DL quiver on chaos mobs -> Tower elemental/savagery quiver lvl200 on non chaos mobs, DL/EDL quiver on chaos mobs.

Dragonlord and Exalted Dragonlord quivers are the best offhand weapons in the game. They add 600 and 800 direct non resisted divine damage to your attacks and can be a game changer in lock battles if used right. Crucial to not die when quiver skill is active, so place yourself strategically at non AoE zones, use skill after shields, use restos if necessary to avoid quiver death.

Garanak/Skain sets: Poison > Magic (skain charm) > Fire (gara charm) I personally do not recommend using any other sets.

Necklace: any lux necklace is fine up until lvl150. At lvl150 go with stormcaller necklace. Comrak poison/fire/magic/ice sets are also good options if you cannot afford Lux necks, gara/skain gear, or stormcaller neck. Tower runic dmg/attack necklace or stormcaller necklace should be your ultimate choice.

Charm: If not equipped with a set, any summer 2013 damage charm is fine at lower levels. At lvl170+ go for spider charms that boost either stat and skill. Currently the best charms for end game rangers are:

- Sunfire poison charms (use these on carrow mobs and hrung, but have any of the charms below for other mobs)
- Garanak bladeleaf (fire) charm: provides 100 STR and 300 attack.
- Skain stormleaf (magic) charm: provides 145 STR and 250 attack
- Imperial/Godly sureshot charm: provides 90/100 STR and 160/200 attack, with 650+ sharpshot damage (best charm while levelling)

The above three charms are all very similar but choose an imperial/godly sureshot charm if given the chance.

- Emberdrake double shot recast charms 20/25% skill recast reduction (best charm on raids)

Easily the best charm to have if you're end game. Spam double shot on those pesky defence mounted raids and you will more than often deal out the most damage.

Bracelets: bow ability bracelets for lower levels are the way to go, any other lux braces are also fine. Hrung/lux bracelets when you hit 175+. From then on Prot braces with attack, and Gele braces with bow ability should finalize your bracelet slots.

Rings: Oblivion rings from necro are currently the best DPS for auto Rangers out there. The bow ability adds direct attack and damage. Ex. A majestic oblivion ring would give you 70 STR / 70 VIT / 700 Bow ability - which results in 700 attack and over 100 damage. These rings are extremely rare.

Until you can get your very own oblivion ring, settle for an imperial/godly emberdrake precision ring or a runic ring with attack/HP/STR.

At lvl215+ you can gain a 65+ divine damage ring that is great on chaos mobs.

Reaper rings also add lots of attack but can set you back in the millions, a runic haste ring is a good economical option over this (when not hasted)

Pets: If you ever plan on buying plat or are well off, then invest in the top tier spider and wolf, mid tier pets are fine if you want to stay economical. Get the wolf over the spider if not many endgames have a wolf. Get the dragon pet over the wolf and spider if you frequently make in app purchases.

Battle mounts: The wolf battle mount is best for rangers due to its pierce skill, which will be boosted by most mages due to pierce lure.

The Conclusion

Rangers are a popular class at endgame because they can dish out decent DPS while standing away from the chaos. It may take longer to level than warriors, rogues or mages, however it is less expensive than mages, druids. This is the perfect class to dual/triple log with if your ranger has decent autos. It is the best DPS class on Proteus.

EDIT:

Dec 27, 2016: The ranger class has become more balanced with the fix of sharpshot. It is strongly recommended for all builds.
Nov 9, 2017: Minor edits
Jan 3, 2018: Detailed charm info, bracelet/ring edits, added best pets and battle mounts for rangers.

Hope this ranger guide helped :mrgreen:
Last edited by LeGenDzZ on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Wattzon of Sulis

Re: How to be a Professional DPS Ranger

Spear Ranger: will be running builds containing steady aim, double attack, skewer. (optional) Majority of the points will be allocated in STR. You can also choose to hotbar your bow to cast bolas and sharpen weapons, these two skills cannot be casted while holding a spear. Use combo or haste elixirs while lixing. I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RECOMMEND TO USE A SPEAR. I have written that in caps so you don't waste your time with ability lixes as spear ranger is awful. You're limited with skills and have to go through a pain to cast, arguably, the two best ranger skills: bolas and sharpen weapons. If you're mind is moving towards this direction ask this question to yourself: "Should I really be using a spear with bad skills when I can make a rogue and have better skills?"
I'm pretty sure you can cast bolas and sharpen when you have a spear equipped. Steady Aim cant be cast while you have a spear equipped.
RunAndSteal~ 220 Ranger~ Mabon
StabAndSteal~ 170 Rogue ~ Mabon

Spear Ranger: will be running builds containing steady aim, double attack, skewer. (optional) Majority of the points will be allocated in STR. You can also choose to hotbar your bow to cast bolas and sharpen weapons, these two skills cannot be casted while holding a spear. Use combo or haste elixirs while lixing. I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RECOMMEND TO USE A SPEAR. I have written that in caps so you don't waste your time with ability lixes as spear ranger is awful. You're limited with skills and have to go through a pain to cast, arguably, the two best ranger skills: bolas and sharpen weapons. If you're mind is moving towards this direction ask this question to yourself: "Should I really be using a spear with bad skills when I can make a rogue and have better skills?"
I'm pretty sure you can cast bolas and sharpen when you have a spear equipped. Steady Aim cant be cast while you have a spear equipped.
I knew I made an error somewhere. Thanks for spotting it out. This is what happens when you type this much.
Wattzon of Sulis

Lvling a ranger currently my second toon in game (main 223lvl mage) i decided to go full str from start! Havent seen any info about def spikes skill so my question is if that skill is a nice combo while still using sharpen-barbed-long shoot-double shoot! I dont use rapid or haste ring-quiver yet while lvling on combos! Havent got that skill yet!

Lvling a ranger currently my second toon in game (main 223lvl mage) i decided to go full str from start! Havent seen any info about def spikes skill so my question is if that skill is a nice combo while still using sharpen-barbed-long shoot-double shoot! I dont use rapid or haste ring-quiver yet while lvling on combos! Havent got that skill yet!
the worst skill in the game
Ranger 227+