Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Strength or Dex?

So I've recently picked up my ranger again and I have a few questions.

1. Strength or Dexterity?
2. Based on no. 1, what skills should I use?
3. What bow should I use? I have the meteoric bow, but can easily afford adamant.

I am currently using a level 100 ice quiver, and a Wyldgrove Ammy of the Sun, and can afford anything else when it comes to gear.
Thanks!
Tablesalt - Lugh - Mage
Seasalt - Lugh - Ranger

Re: Strength or Dex?

Str
Be true to the game, because the game will be true to you. If you try to shortcut the game, then the game will shortcut you. If you put forth the effort, good things will be bestowed upon you.

Sharpen weps steady aim dbl shot rapid
Be true to the game, because the game will be true to you. If you try to shortcut the game, then the game will shortcut you. If you put forth the effort, good things will be bestowed upon you.

1. From personal experience, strength is an easier build to play with. Reasons, dps gear is nice, not much if any need for restos, and easier to dual log if that is possible for you since str rangers are usually auto based. Dex build is catching up slowly to the power of str but unless u have infinite energy lixs and restos, will always suck. Plus with dex build, you become more like a mage where ur skills are the only things that do real dmg which is still below str dps.
2. For a str ranger this is what I use: Double Shot, Rapid Shot, Sharpen Weapons, Steady Aim, Light Heal. I sometimes switch out one for entangle or bolas for bossing, or even use camo to get places without dying.
3. From personal experience, wyld sun ammy is the worst ammy there is for a ranger. 500 dmg max on a mob your lvl doesnt sound too good for the skill, as for the str, it will add only about 1/3 of the amount the str adds, which means it only adds about 27 dmg. Personally, a cheap good ammy would be sunshard dmg ammy, skyglass sunlight ammy, or midnight tally. The only reason u would get the sun ammy is for the hp and regen really. Another factor u may have noticed is that u can only use the skill when close to the enemy, which kinda sucks, especially at boss fights where u have to run up to the boss, use the skill, and run back. For the bow, i would say get adamant, in any possible way, it will have the best dps untill wyrmbone bow. Which means it will out dps a frozen bow as well. Another recommendation for gear is dmg rings like firefang, coldsteel, and stormfist. I got three godly and used a haste ring for my fourth ring.
Thats all from personal experience and what helped me around that lvl.

Vini, Vidi, Vici (I came, I saw, I conquered) - Julius Caesar
An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, and evil for evil - Rei Ogami

1. From personal experience, strength is an easier build to play with. Reasons, dps gear is nice, not much if any need for restos, and easier to dual log if that is possible for you since str rangers are usually auto based. Dex build is catching up slowly to the power of str but unless u have infinite energy lixs and restos, will always suck. Plus with dex build, you become more like a mage where ur skills are the only things that do real dmg which is still below str dps.
2. For a str ranger this is what I use: Double Shot, Rapid Shot, Sharpen Weapons, Steady Aim, Light Heal. I sometimes switch out one for entangle or bolas for bossing, or even use camo to get places without dying.
3. From personal experience, wyld sun ammy is the worst ammy there is for a ranger. 500 dmg max on a mob your lvl doesnt sound too good for the skill, as for the str, it will add only about 1/3 of the amount the str adds, which means it only adds about 27 dmg. Personally, a cheap good ammy would be sunshard dmg ammy, skyglass sunlight ammy, or midnight tally. The only reason u would get the sun ammy is for the hp and regen really. Another factor u may have noticed is that u can only use the skill when close to the enemy, which kinda sucks, especially at boss fights where u have to run up to the boss, use the skill, and run back. For the bow, i would say get adamant, in any possible way, it will have the best dps untill wyrmbone bow. Which means it will out dps a frozen bow as well. Another recommendation for gear is dmg rings like firefang, coldsteel, and stormfist. I got three godly and used a haste ring for my fourth ring.
Thats all from personal experience and what helped me around that lvl.
Ahh, thank you. Very helpful. The skill usually hits around 900, but that's still low. I'll look into getting a midnight talisman, as there are several of those floating around our server still.
Tablesalt - Lugh - Mage
Seasalt - Lugh - Ranger

Just use the one u have now. I agree that it hits low but on android o used that from 100-150, and when you level with mages or warriors the damage is actually nice.
All chicken we're created equal
U disrespect chicken I disrespect u

Lightchamp
- chieftain of lazy drunks
- 223 Dg ranger

._.

From personal experience, strength is an easier build to play with. Reasons, dps gear is nice, not much if any need for restos
Less restos using a STR build? Unless you have massive Defense adding items, a STR build is going to require MORE restos unless you bola each and every mob and have your Abilities maxed to help evade spells being cast. When I was soloing in tower at level 185 on my ranger, running a full STR build, full DL, DL bow and lvl 180 haste quiver with minimal dex... I dropped Light Heal because the length of cast time and the meager amount it would heal with low DEX wasn't worth the hassle. I also chugged restos like it was Kool-Aid. Sure the damage was good, but it also cost a lot more in restos.

As long as you can get some decent Defense in there, running more lopsided on STR helps autos a lot, but keep in mind that without sufficient defense you're going to be chugging restos.

If you can afford plenty of restos, I'd suggest dropping LH. I don't see LH being worthwhile with the amount of interrupts I get, low heal to damage ratio UNLESS you're running a high dex build, but then your auto is a bit weaker.

What it comes down to is this, how much gold are you willing to spend in order to level as quickly as possible? Or would you rather level a little bit slower, spend less gold and have better survivability?

Find a playstyle you enjoy and play your ranger that way. Who cares if. It's the best or not you enjoy it that's all that matter.

From personal experience, strength is an easier build to play with. Reasons, dps gear is nice, not much if any need for restos
Less restos using a STR build? Unless you have massive Defense adding items, a STR build is going to require MORE restos unless you bola each and every mob and have your Abilities maxed to help evade spells being cast. When I was soloing in tower at level 185 on my ranger, running a full STR build, full DL, DL bow and lvl 180 haste quiver with minimal dex... I dropped Light Heal because the length of cast time and the meager amount it would heal with low DEX wasn't worth the hassle. I also chugged restos like it was Kool-Aid. Sure the damage was good, but it also cost a lot more in restos.

As long as you can get some decent Defense in there, running more lopsided on STR helps autos a lot, but keep in mind that without sufficient defense you're going to be chugging restos.

If you can afford plenty of restos, I'd suggest dropping LH. I don't see LH being worthwhile with the amount of interrupts I get, low heal to damage ratio UNLESS you're running a high dex build, but then your auto is a bit weaker.

What it comes down to is this, how much gold are you willing to spend in order to level as quickly as possible? Or would you rather level a little bit slower, spend less gold and have better survivability?
I did not start using restos with that build till lvl 140, i just use light heal which did plenty for me. Mobs dont hit as hard at lvl 140+ as they do at lvl 120. At that lvl, all i worried about is how many lixs i can buy and how many mobs i can kill

Vini, Vidi, Vici (I came, I saw, I conquered) - Julius Caesar
An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, and evil for evil - Rei Ogami

Borrow a post instead of make another str vs sex build. I group lvl with a support druid. The druid has my health and has entangle roots. The mobs can't get to me. And if I get jumped the druid got my health. So I am running longshot 38/30 rapid shot 33/30 barbed shot 30/30 and sharp shot 30/30. I am happy with my en regen and don't care about HP regen. Should I be favoring dex or str?