Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Three Celtic Math Problems

Hello All,

Below are three math problems based on Celtic Heroes! Try them out for yourself!

The answers are on the following post, colored in white: highlight them to reveal the text.

Question 1:
I have an 80% mount. You have a 100% mount. How much faster than me do you travel?

Question 2:
You are a warrior only equipped with an axe of attack speed 4000; your stat page lists your damage as 2000. What is your average damage per second ("DPS")?

Question 3:
Lavalord is actively camped, and is killed at 3pm. You miss the next spawn. When should you start camping to ensure you make the next spawn? (two spawns from when you killed it)

Good luck! There are no trick questions, but they are not as obvious as they look!
Last edited by Regenleif on Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
World Taranis

- Regenleif -
Rachmaninoff
Aedin Flameborn

Former Leader in theILLUMINATI, Aeon, and Taranis United

I am a Guide! If you need any tips/help/advice, Click Here to send me a message!

Re: Three Celtic Math Problems

Answers:

Question 1:
The answer is not 20%! Remember that mounts affect your base speed, so you can rewrite the question as: "I have a 1.8 speed mount, you have a 2.0 speed mount". Thus, you will travel 2.0/1.8 = ~11.11% faster than me.

Question 2:
The attack speed is in milliseconds, so 4000 attack speed is 4 seconds. Damage per second is, well, damage divided by seconds, however you need to factor in the damage fluctuation! This fluctuation is 50%-100% of the max damage, resulting in an average of 75% of the max damage. 2000 damage * 75% / 4 = 375 damage per second.

Question 3:
Lavalord has a spawn time of 3 hours ± 10 minutes. For two spawns in the future, if it can be killed on spawn, this gives us 6 hours ± 20 minutes. As we are looking for the minimum time to begin camping, and the first kill was at 3:00pm, we should show up at 8:40pm!
World Taranis

- Regenleif -
Rachmaninoff
Aedin Flameborn

I am a Guide! If you need any tips/help/advice, Click Here to send me a message!

If you want to be pedantic then you could dispute number 2, due to the way damage is delivered in discrete instantaneous chunks at regular intervals, with an initial instant hit.
If we take an extreme. We have an axe that does 1 billion damage and delay of 100,000. Forget any calculations. Let's pretend real world use shows that it kills everything on the first blow. The first blow is instant then you would normally wait for the delay before the second blow, but we've never need to. In a million fights, every one has ended instantly, so overall the fight time for the million fights is still next to nothing. Yet we've delivered massive amounts of damage. This gives us a dps of infinite, our as near as damn it.

So let's put this in to real world context.

Soloing
In a fight you deal damage up front you wait for the delay you deal damage, you wait, etc. You deal the killing blow, the fight instantly ends. This will cause the fight to last an exact multiple, let's call it x, of the delay time. But because of the initial damage, we hit x+1 times. Put this together we get
avg dps = (h - 1) x wd / (h * ad)
Where h is number of hits to kill a mob, wd is weapon delay in seconds and ad is average damage per hit of the weapon.
This means that the shorter the fight, the greater the dps for that fight. Only would an infinitely long fight give the dps of the equations everyone really uses.
I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to work out dps in a group fight.
clanless in a clan filled world
- and happy to be so

Hello All,

Below are three math problems based on Celtic Heroes! Try them out for yourself!

The answers are on the following post, colored in white: highlight them to reveal the text.

Question 1:
I have an 80% mount. You have a 100% mount. How much faster than me do you travel?

Question 2:
You are a warrior only equipped with an axe of attack speed 4000; your stat page lists your damage as 2000. What is your average damage per second ("DPS")?

Question 3:
Lavalord is actively camped, and is killed at 3pm. You miss the next spawn. When should you start camping to ensure you make the next spawn? (two spawns from when you killed it)

Good luck! There are no trick questions, but they are not as obvious as they look!
11.111% faster

2000 + 2000/(4/T) assuming the calculation ends and T is a multiple integer of 4 where T is the time taken to kill.

Assumptions have to be made that he was killed in his window - from this assumption it would be 3pm+ 2 x lowest spawn time. Idk his spawn rate
Elsroth - 220+ Mage - Clan Avalon

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hello All,

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:

A) 25% faster

B) Fluctuations are 60-100(59-99)% so I'll take it 80% since you said average dps. 80% of 2k stat page dmg, 1600. Swinging every 4s (4000 speed) with that super op weapon without haste I'm assuming 1600 dmg per 4s. Aka 400 DPS avg

C) I'd rather just die than camp lavalord at this point. If not 8:45pm
Adrohan - 226 Rogue, Fingal
Get kills or die trying!
First Mordris n Necro kill on Android, nuff said
http://www.celticheroes.net/profile.php?hero=Adrohan

Hello All,

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:

11.111% faster

2000 + 2000/(4/T) assuming the calculation ends and T is a multiple integer of 4 where T is the time taken to kill.

Assumptions have to be made that he was killed in his window - from this assumption it would be 3pm+ 2 x lowest spawn time. Idk his spawn rate
When working out number 2 ignore my post. Stick with the widely recognized dps calculations to get the answer regen is after.
I was pointing out that general avg dps calculation is a little over simplified and doesn't quite match the real avg dps, due to that initial instant first hit. If, when attacking, the weapon delay occurred before the first hit, then the calculation that is normally used would agree with actual avg dps.
clanless in a clan filled world
- and happy to be so

@Robbo5000 Yep, #2 and #3 could theoretically be a LOT more complex, however the exercises are instead meant to be "simple with a trick" :)

For #2, as you said, if you wanted to be super precise you would need to consider the length of the fight, the initial hit, variations in latency, processing speeds of different device architectures... blech

For #3, besides latency/processing /draw speeds you *could* include reaction times, initial attack times of ranged vs melee campers (who have to walk up and hit), and time to kill a 4*, so the actual expected time would be a few seconds later!

I don't want/expect anyone to go to that level to solve these :lol:
World Taranis

- Regenleif -
Rachmaninoff
Aedin Flameborn