Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: Placebo affect

This can also be used for bad too. On my phones news section, there was a story about a prank done on a teacher were they were going to pretend to kill him. They said they were gonna decapitate him and they got a wet rag to act as a blade. The guy had a heart attack because he thought he would actually get his head sliced off.
Thats true, some ppl use that in the wrong way.

As for brain usage, its not 100% accurate to say that what I said is correct nor what others did, its one of the problems with science that one research can always replace another.
#NerfMages #AvoidBalance #WhyPlayARogue #MeatShieldOnly #HealingSlavesOnly

OP dps warrior on Belenus, hot af melee druid on Nuada. #Elementals #Apex

Re: Placebo affect

The placebo effect is a very powerful tool in medicine, but also hinders at the same time. It has been shown that the type of placebo can also affect the response: giving a white pill has less of an effect than giving an injection, for example.

Many have found this:
  • Drug A will elicit a response of 5 (arbitrary units)
  • Placebo will elicit a response of 2
  • Placebo and Drug A will elicit a response of 7
Extremely useful! Give someone a lower dose and you are getting a larger response than the drug alone! To continue...
  • Infuse (so can't tell when drug has started/stopped) the patient with Analgesic A - pain goes down by 5
  • Stop infusion and tell the patient it has stopped - pain resets to baseline
  • Start the infusion and don't tell the patient anything - pain drops by 2
  • Keep infusion going and tell the patient it's just started - pain drops by 5
  • Tell the patient the drug has been stopped, but continue administration - pain goes up by 2, but is still 3 units below baseline: known as the nocebo effect
The nocebo effect can also be of interest - tell the patient that a placebo will give then side-effects, and you find that people get side effects and stop taking the drug! In fact, tell them that they are actually receiving a placebo and they still feel like they're having side-effects!

Placebo effects aren't so useful in clinical drug trials: they can create noise (as if the placebo is having a significant effect, how much of the effect of the drug is due to the drug itself? It might just be the placebo effect!). They can also cause people to drop out prematurely: people take a placebo and think they're having adverse reactions to it due to the nocebo effect, reducing study size and therefore reliability. :)

Forum Rules | Avoid Naming and Shaming | The Important Stuff
Want me to read your post? Quote me!