Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: frostbite

DoT skills in general aren't very good in leveling mobs.
Agreed, however it is pretty good for both pvp and bossing. Same with incinerate.
Have questions about anything? PM me!
Alternatively, you can rarely find me online in Sulis.
Go team #WorldSkillsUSA2019!
Harbinger of cold hard logic and reason.
Check out the player-run Celtic Heroes Database!: celticheroesdb.com!

I do not get why everyone hates frostbite. it is a very useful spell on my level 58 ice mage.
Probably better for the mage forum, but the distaste for frostbite is that its DOT damage is poor compared to incinerate and it's DPS damage (which hits with cast) is also poor. So you get poor dps and weak dot added together into the same skill (whoopie!). For an ice mage, those points are better put into maxing bread and butter skills with stackable damage (shards, blast, and ice attunment), life saving skills (eshield), or energy producing skills if you lack sufficient sigils (eboost and sacrifice). If you are endgame and have that all maxed with plenty of sigils, frostbite is decent for endgame bossing, but, like incinerate, it doesn't stack with other casters.
Xanadu - Mage 228+ - Forever - Rosmerta

Hello.
Probably better for the mage forum, but the distaste for frostbite is that its DOT damage is poor compared to incinerate and it's DPS damage (which hits with cast) is also poor.
Frostbite DOES hit at cast - for several thousand damage at high lvl

The only time Frostbite becomes usefull (for an ice mage which wants to max its DPS) is at very high level, when it becomes possibly one of the the most usefull skills as it is one of the only ways to increase your DPS (only AFTER you have maxed everything else) :D

Currently my skill points are as follows:

50 frostbite
50 ice shards
50 ice blast
49 ice attune
40 ice lure
40 eshield
_______
5 cloak of fire (dl gloves lol)
5 eboost (dl armour)
5 cloak fire (dl armour)

for a total of: 294 skill points (or 296 with hrung helm - but lose DL set bonus)

Items:
rings: royal attune (+5) / grand attune (+4) / 2x (+7+7 shield/bite) (interchangable with spiritseed set)
+12 shards skull
+5 dragonlord ice blast helm (interchangable with +7 shards hrung helm)
+5 dragonlord skirt eshield

So to the OP, at level 58, frostbite will not be the best choice for your build at this stage

However, assuming it will be possible to reach lvl 210, and max skills go up to 45/50, it is theoretically possible to have all your DPS ice skills at level 50 which would be a quite nice build

Hope that helps,

chop
ChopstikNinja - Regretfully Retired from Celtic Heroes
Highest rank:Top 10 or so across all servers September?? 2014
Dollars Spent: $210?? Give or take $20
World: Crom
Class: Mage
Level: 206+
Senior Publicist, The Dal Riata Enquirer

Like chop said, at 180+ frostbite becomes most useful. At 190 I hit a lot as much as 1 ice shard in the time it stays on, so at higher levels it's more useful. At 58 I'd get rid of frostbite for now and maybe pick it back up at 130.

All the above is true but i also find it useful from lvl1 to about 45-50 since at low level the damage isn't bad at all and the tome/rings are pretty darn cheap (at least on my world).
Member of Aeon - Taranis - 24 boxer
220+ toons
Ravenleaf druid - Silverstring ranger
Stormsong warrior - Nwerb Mage - Eventide Rogue

Toon histogram:
Level_____|200+|150-199|100-149|50-99|20-49|1-19|
# of toons|_5__|___16___|____3___|__11__|__21_|407|

Hello.
Probably better for the mage forum, but the distaste for frostbite is that its DOT damage is poor compared to incinerate and it's DPS damage (which hits with cast) is also poor.
Frostbite DOES hit at cast - for several thousand damage at high lvl
Yes. I said that. And, compared to other ice dps skills, it is poor dps.
Xanadu - Mage 228+ - Forever - Rosmerta