Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: iOS 12 compatability

#21
bob the mage wrote:
Thefreeze wrote:an indie app has knowledge of their code and has the version just behind the latest

we have a team who hasn't worked on the same code and has 4 years of new content of unity

also being owned by the same due literally changes nothing. don't see your point there.

This is fault of the owner of VR/OTM for not properly transitioning to a new team, it doesn't remove fault, if anything I would argue it increases the fault. If there are issues that need to be addressed quickly, and you are switching teams because of issues with the old one, you don't make the issues worse by adding in a long learning curve, instead you transition...
Not saying it's any one's or any team's fault at VR, they haven't been here long and got flung into the middle of the issues and are trying, or so they say and so we hope, to make the best of it and work to get the fixes we need.

The comparison to the indie app was that a small app development is able to better understand and prioritize changes and developments, and understand that compatability comes before content, while the management of CH seems to think that they can flush out issues from old formulas and lack of compatibility with mini events and new small content. I say seem to think because for those of us frustrated, that is the rationalization we make, while it may be all possible that they just don't realize that compatibility and underlying structural changes are paramount to events and new content which is also a likely rationalization for what is going on, just not as optimistic as one.
Idk whats going on inside VR, even when we had Muldar we only heard what OTM wanted us to hear, and same could be true now, it's impossible to say one way or the other. Same person is in charge at the top, so it should be understandable for it to be hard to give the new team a completely new clean slate past general optimism for changes that would soon fade if changes don't actually occur.

Eragon123 wrote:Not to mention the fact that there's a bit of a difference between an indie app, and the relative behemoth that is Celtic Heroes. I'll bet that upgrading the engine itself is pretty straightforward...the hard part is finding what breaks in the upgrade, and figuring out a way to fix it so that the change isn't noticeable to players. It would take a lot less time to do that in an indie app with pretty straightforward content, vs CH, with all its effects, animations, models, collisions, etc.

Agreed, which is why indie apps updated in weeks to a month or two max, if at all, the smaller apps that only expected to survive for a month or two didn't bother for logical reasons. CH however has gone much longer than could be reasonably expected. Most of that time is due to OTM lying and putting it off, and as a result it can't be entirely pinned onto VR, as they have to start from scratch... nonetheless, it has been a few months, and from what I have seen no clear progress has been made.


I gave up on the game, I was frustrated for a while but I gave up with that and just walked away, CH wasn't worth managing frustration over... Imo if VR wants to win back people like myself they need to fix the basic mechanics and compatibility features of the game. Starting with basic device compatibility, then move on to formulaic level rewrites, specific for damage and skill formulas, then specific skill functions (ex: DOT stacking among other small skill formulaic and structural changes that impact gameplay past one class or game style), and then they can get to horizontal upgrades that improve existing infrastructure that hasn't been updated to follow increased device capacity (ex: PVP), and then lastly they need to expand horizontal game play at each level range so that way the game isn't so tiring and just a straight vertical climb.
So ya... I get it's a lot, but they can't wait until its all done to release each part. I'm struggling to see how basic device compatibility, something so basic (in terms of priority to something being usable), hasn't been released, and even so more that there have been no timetable estimates for it...

Like I said, I'm done being frustrated, if VR changes and fixes things maybe I'll play again, but otherwise it isn't worth the time to push for the changes past commenting on existing forum threads once in a while when I get bored in class.


Well said adding on to that or agreeing with, basically u made a game people loved, a game that was different and unique which made people love it, now congrats ur done with step one finding a game that people will like...step 2, INVEST IN THE GAME USE YOUR PROFITS TO UPDATE IT AND MAKE IT BETTER SPEND MONEY ON THE GAME TO IMPROVE IT,,,, MAKE FUN UPDATES MORE THINGS UPDATE CURRENT THINGS, WHY IS IT WE GET ONE BIG UPDATE A YEAR WHY ISNT IT LIKE EVERY 3-4 months!
[CENTER]
Image
[/CENTER]

Op killer lvl 221 rogue

Legacyte 220 tank

Withered tree 215 druid

Azraell 181 locker ranger

Re: iOS 12 compatability

#22
Legacyte wrote:Well said adding on to that or agreeing with, basically u made a game people loved, a game that was different and unique which made people love it, now congrats ur done with step one finding a game that people will like...step 2, INVEST IN THE GAME USE YOUR PROFITS TO UPDATE IT AND MAKE IT BETTER SPEND MONEY ON THE GAME TO IMPROVE IT,,,, MAKE FUN UPDATES MORE THINGS UPDATE CURRENT THINGS, WHY IS IT WE GET ONE BIG UPDATE A YEAR WHY ISNT IT LIKE EVERY 3-4 months!


Because it takes time to design and build new additions to a game. VR is a small company, so it takes longer to do things. If they were making enough money to hire more people and still be turning a good profit, I'm sure they would have already.
Eragon123 - lvl 220 ranger
Zamorak1 - lvl 220 mage
Retribution - Sulis
Sneaky o.O
Have questions about anything? PM me!

Latest Celtic Heroes Database Update: Character Creator! Go Team #WorldSkillsUSA!

Re: iOS 12 compatability

#23
Legacyte wrote:
Thefreeze wrote:
frumentarii wrote:
Agree.

Even a lot of the small indie games I have beta tested for the last two weeks have been formatted for the new phones. The X has been out for a year now, so not really new and the XS series are a week post release.


It’s been stated 14522522x we will have X support with the new unity build , it’s not VRs fault OTM left it 4 years no upgrade


GOT EM!!! Lol im starting to like vr much more, #stillLoveMuldar

Owned by the same guy... I have said and agree it isn't the new team's fault, except for those who were apart of OTM (tadaah for example) when we were lied to.
As long as it is virtually the same company, run by the same guy, the responsibility is still there...
I'm glad its being worked on, thats great, doesn't change the fact that Muldar, Tadaah, and OTM and their boss who is still the boss lied to us for a year and a half...
Gwydion - Guardian of Relentless
BobsYourUncle 224 Fire Mage

Stubborn 220 Warrior (Tank)

Feel free to pm me about anything or talk to me in game :D
boymclir wrote:Bob The God

Shadae wrote:This Bob guy is a guide? Legitimately?

CD Swapping since 2016

Re: iOS 12 compatability

#24
bob the mage wrote:Owned by the same guy... I have said and agree it isn't the new team's fault, except for those who were apart of OTM (tadaah for example) when we were lied to.
As long as it is virtually the same company, run by the same guy, the responsibility is still there...
I'm glad its being worked on, thats great, doesn't change the fact that Muldar, Tadaah, and OTM and their boss who is still the boss lied to us for a year and a half...


Calm down with all the "lying" spiel dude. OTM was already working on updating to Unity 2017 when the restructuring took place. They just weren't focusing solely on it, because it wasn't required at the time, and also because they were focusing on finalizing and releasing the Corrupted Gardens.

Tadaah wrote:What This Means:
While the game engine is being updated, we won’t be able to push any major new features into the game. The good news is that the team here was already working on updating to Unity 2017 prior to the recent restructuring. There are some small changes from 2017 to 2018, but we aren’t starting from scratch on this task. That will speed up the process.

(quote from the initial post here)

A majority of developers don't like proactively updating old software to newer versions. It's no fun, it tends to cause bugs that are a pain to fix. I'm not saying OTM wasn't putting it off when they could, I'm sure they weren't ecstatic about updating it, but that doesn't mean that they completely dropped the ball.

There is some blame on OTM for not updating it earlier...but to be perfectly fair to them, they didn't know that Apple would change their guidelines like that. Or if so, they probably only knew a couple months ahead, by which time OTM's owner was likely in the middle of working out the company swap, and didn't want to boot out OTM in the middle of a big update (and throw VR directly into the middle of the mess)

They also knew that updating the engine would take a long time, so at the time, they had the choice of either continuing to work on game content (bug fixes and the Gardens), or take a break from game content and focus on updating the engine. Because of how demanding this player-base can be (just look at the majority of the forum posts over the past couple weeks), they obviously decided to put the engine update on the back-burner, because they had no reason to make it their primary focus. Then yes, VR came in, and got stuck with the update. That's too bad, but not completely OTM's (or the owner's) fault.

Imagine an alternate outcome. If OTM had known that they would have had to update the game engine, most likely they would have made that their focus last year and the beginning of this year, and the gardens likely still wouldn't be out now! At least this way, players have new content to mess about with (and complain about) for the time it takes to update Unity.
Eragon123 - lvl 220 ranger
Zamorak1 - lvl 220 mage
Retribution - Sulis
Sneaky o.O
Have questions about anything? PM me!

Latest Celtic Heroes Database Update: Character Creator! Go Team #WorldSkillsUSA!

Re: iOS 12 compatability

#25
Eragon123 wrote:
bob the mage wrote:Owned by the same guy... I have said and agree it isn't the new team's fault, except for those who were apart of OTM (tadaah for example) when we were lied to.
As long as it is virtually the same company, run by the same guy, the responsibility is still there...
I'm glad its being worked on, thats great, doesn't change the fact that Muldar, Tadaah, and OTM and their boss who is still the boss lied to us for a year and a half...


Calm down with all the "lying" spiel dude. OTM was already working on updating to Unity 2017 when the restructuring took place. They just weren't focusing solely on it, because it wasn't required at the time, and also because they were focusing on finalizing and releasing the Corrupted Gardens.

Tadaah wrote:What This Means:
While the game engine is being updated, we won’t be able to push any major new features into the game. The good news is that the team here was already working on updating to Unity 2017 prior to the recent restructuring. There are some small changes from 2017 to 2018, but we aren’t starting from scratch on this task. That will speed up the process.

(quote from the initial post here)

A majority of developers don't like proactively updating old software to newer versions. It's no fun, it tends to cause bugs that are a pain to fix. I'm not saying OTM wasn't putting it off when they could, I'm sure they weren't ecstatic about updating it, but that doesn't mean that they completely dropped the ball.

There is some blame on OTM for not updating it earlier...but to be perfectly fair to them, they didn't know that Apple would change their guidelines like that. Or if so, they probably only knew a couple months ahead, by which time OTM's owner was likely in the middle of working out the company swap, and didn't want to boot out OTM in the middle of a big update (and throw VR directly into the middle of the mess)

They also knew that updating the engine would take a long time, so at the time, they had the choice of either continuing to work on game content (bug fixes and the Gardens), or take a break from game content and focus on updating the engine. Because of how demanding this player-base can be (just look at the majority of the forum posts over the past couple weeks), they obviously decided to put the engine update on the back-burner, because they had no reason to make it their primary focus. Then yes, VR came in, and got stuck with the update. That's too bad, but not completely OTM's (or the owner's) fault.

Imagine an alternate outcome. If OTM had known that they would have had to update the game engine, most likely they would have made that their focus last year and the beginning of this year, and the gardens likely still wouldn't be out now! At least this way, players have new content to mess about with (and complain about) for the time it takes to update Unity.


^This
And Apple is notorious with variable fine-print (:D we love our Apple-Overlords though :D), and devs have been doing QoL updates, bug fixes, maintenance, and mini-events (bounty weekends etc).
Image

Avatar art courtesy Angmar Reid
Lugh: -Pegasus-
Mindreader - W
Photon - R
Doge Dandolo - D
CH on discord
CH database
Bitey's Guide
CrazyMae wrote:May your farts be sulfurous, personally offensive and unrelenting, only subsiding within my divine presence.

Re: iOS 12 compatability

#26
Mind wrote:
Eragon123 wrote:
bob the mage wrote:Owned by the same guy... I have said and agree it isn't the new team's fault, except for those who were apart of OTM (tadaah for example) when we were lied to.
As long as it is virtually the same company, run by the same guy, the responsibility is still there...
I'm glad its being worked on, thats great, doesn't change the fact that Muldar, Tadaah, and OTM and their boss who is still the boss lied to us for a year and a half...


Calm down with all the "lying" spiel dude. OTM was already working on updating to Unity 2017 when the restructuring took place. They just weren't focusing solely on it, because it wasn't required at the time, and also because they were focusing on finalizing and releasing the Corrupted Gardens.

Tadaah wrote:What This Means:
While the game engine is being updated, we won’t be able to push any major new features into the game. The good news is that the team here was already working on updating to Unity 2017 prior to the recent restructuring. There are some small changes from 2017 to 2018, but we aren’t starting from scratch on this task. That will speed up the process.

(quote from the initial post here)

A majority of developers don't like proactively updating old software to newer versions. It's no fun, it tends to cause bugs that are a pain to fix. I'm not saying OTM wasn't putting it off when they could, I'm sure they weren't ecstatic about updating it, but that doesn't mean that they completely dropped the ball.

There is some blame on OTM for not updating it earlier...but to be perfectly fair to them, they didn't know that Apple would change their guidelines like that. Or if so, they probably only knew a couple months ahead, by which time OTM's owner was likely in the middle of working out the company swap, and didn't want to boot out OTM in the middle of a big update (and throw VR directly into the middle of the mess)

They also knew that updating the engine would take a long time, so at the time, they had the choice of either continuing to work on game content (bug fixes and the Gardens), or take a break from game content and focus on updating the engine. Because of how demanding this player-base can be (just look at the majority of the forum posts over the past couple weeks), they obviously decided to put the engine update on the back-burner, because they had no reason to make it their primary focus. Then yes, VR came in, and got stuck with the update. That's too bad, but not completely OTM's (or the owner's) fault.

Imagine an alternate outcome. If OTM had known that they would have had to update the game engine, most likely they would have made that their focus last year and the beginning of this year, and the gardens likely still wouldn't be out now! At least this way, players have new content to mess about with (and complain about) for the time it takes to update Unity.


^This
And Apple is notorious with variable fine-print (:D we love our Apple-Overlords though :D), and devs have been doing QoL updates, bug fixes, maintenance, and mini-events (bounty weekends etc).

After OTM was “let go” VR confirmed 0 progress had been made and it had not been stared yet.
Muldar while working for otm said progress was being made but no ETA could be given at that time.
The two statements contradict each other, hence it’s a lie.
I’m fine with giving VR time, I don’t play seriously anymore so they can have all the time they need from my end, but to act like VR is completely innocent isn’t entirely correct. If VR had bought out OTM it would be one thing, but for the teams to just switch doesn’t really change who owns the operation.
Anyways I think this topic is old enough and I’m clearly in the minority here, and so be that, everyone has a right to their opinions and it just happens mine isn’t all that popular.
Gwydion - Guardian of Relentless
BobsYourUncle 224 Fire Mage

Stubborn 220 Warrior (Tank)

Feel free to pm me about anything or talk to me in game :D
boymclir wrote:Bob The God

Shadae wrote:This Bob guy is a guide? Legitimately?

CD Swapping since 2016

Re: iOS 12 compatability

#28
AtYourServiceEsquire wrote:im not sure if this is OS related but ive noticed on my new IPhone XS Max the loading time on AH pages is really slow compared to my old S7 edge.

I really hope that gets fixed.


I think this is more likely to be due to your connection, rather than your hardware. But when the engine upgrade is done, I’m sure there will be a boost to general connectivity as well.
Eragon123 - lvl 220 ranger
Zamorak1 - lvl 220 mage
Retribution - Sulis
Sneaky o.O
Have questions about anything? PM me!

Latest Celtic Heroes Database Update: Character Creator! Go Team #WorldSkillsUSA!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Accelerate, Epownage and 18 guests