Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: Developer Diary: Unity 2018

#32
I love it already :).


Tadaaah wrote:Hey Heroes!

We know you’ve all been asking for updates on what’s coming next with all the changes and hustle and bustle around the Birthday Events.

As many of you know, the game moved to the Unity game engine years ago. Currently, we are developed on Unity 4 which is about 3 iterations of Unity behind the current version. We’ll be taking on the task of updating to Unity 2018. This is a large technical task that will take several months to complete. In order for the game to maintain function and development of new features to continue, it is a task that must be completed.

What This Means:
While the game engine is being updated, we won’t be able to push any major new features into the game. The good news is that the team here was already working on updating to Unity 2017 prior to the recent restructuring. There are some small changes from 2017 to 2018, but we aren’t starting from scratch on this task. That will speed up the process.

The Benefits:
It’s going to be a slow couple of months while this being updated, but once this is updated, there will be a number of benefits. A lot of benefits are on the backend and won’t be noticeable to the naked-eye, but will allow us to better develop the game in the future. As many of you have reported, there have been some visual effects that are totally bugged out and particle effects aren’t working properly. This should be fixed with the upgrade to Unity 2018. There will performance improvements that may be noticeable to the naked-eye such as loading times and FPS. More importantly, this update has to happen in order for us to continue development on the game and support future devices (aka iPhone X support).

The Game Plan:
Before we dive completely into this task, we plan on releasing a quality-of-life update to the game. This will include a new pet (chest), fashion (both chest and vendor, hopefully), mount (let me check on this one. There was something interesting about one of these items.) and a number of items to make your life easier. Below are number improvements we’re investigating. We can’t promise you how many or which one specifically are going to make it into this update, but we’re going to try to fit in as many as possible in a short amount of time. We want to get this update out and complete this task as soon as possible. The faster we update Unity; the faster we get back to developing new content and fixing larger issues for you!

    ● Bulk Mailing: Take all/Delete all mail
    ● Removing penalties for 220+ level
    ● Change to armor quests, so you don’t have to write in a ticket for that pesky item you dropped 4 years ago
    ● Highlighting the last selected item
    ● Adding playtime to UI (somewhere)

These are just a few ideas/examples. We’ll still be able to run events such as the XP events, so we’ll be hosting events both while updating and after. :) I'm posting this later in the day as more people are coming into the forums, so if we don't answer right away, it's just because we've gone home for the day. We'll try and answer as many questions as possible in the morning.
MageM220+
WarriorW220+
RangerR220+
Under construction ?150+
Under construction ?190+

Re: Developer Diary: Unity 2018

#33
One, hopefully quick, UI update I'd like to see: Addressing hotbar swaps.

Right now when I try to set up swaps for, say, rings I can't specify what replaces what and all I get is seemingly random results. I'd like to be able to say that Ring X replaces Ring Y in the #1 ring slot with this swap, Ring A replaces Ring B or Ring C in the #2 ring slot with this swap and so on... Basically I want to be able to tie a hotbar slot to a specific inventory slot for equipment.

I've paid plat to have 5 banks of hotbar slots but I still have to go into inventory to switch stuff around for different activities... very frustrating, but hopefully very easy to fix. :D

Re: Developer Diary: Unity 2018

#35
Tadaaah wrote:Hey Heroes!

We know you’ve all been asking for updates on what’s coming next with all the changes and hustle and bustle around the Birthday Events.

As many of you know, the game moved to the Unity game engine years ago. Currently, we are developed on Unity 4 which is about 3 iterations of Unity behind the current version. We’ll be taking on the task of updating to Unity 2018. This is a large technical task that will take several months to complete. In order for the game to maintain function and development of new features to continue, it is a task that must be completed.

What This Means:
While the game engine is being updated, we won’t be able to push any major new features into the game. The good news is that the team here was already working on updating to Unity 2017 prior to the recent restructuring. There are some small changes from 2017 to 2018, but we aren’t starting from scratch on this task. That will speed up the process.

The Benefits:
It’s going to be a slow couple of months while this being updated, but once this is updated, there will be a number of benefits. A lot of benefits are on the backend and won’t be noticeable to the naked-eye, but will allow us to better develop the game in the future. As many of you have reported, there have been some visual effects that are totally bugged out and particle effects aren’t working properly. This should be fixed with the upgrade to Unity 2018. There will performance improvements that may be noticeable to the naked-eye such as loading times and FPS. More importantly, this update has to happen in order for us to continue development on the game and support future devices (aka iPhone X support).

The Game Plan:
Before we dive completely into this task, we plan on releasing a quality-of-life update to the game. This will include a new pet (chest), fashion (both chest and vendor, hopefully), mount (let me check on this one. There was something interesting about one of these items.) and a number of items to make your life easier. Below are number improvements we’re investigating. We can’t promise you how many or which one specifically are going to make it into this update, but we’re going to try to fit in as many as possible in a short amount of time. We want to get this update out and complete this task as soon as possible. The faster we update Unity; the faster we get back to developing new content and fixing larger issues for you!

    ● Bulk Mailing: Take all/Delete all mail
    ● Removing penalties for 220+ level
    ● Change to armor quests, so you don’t have to write in a ticket for that pesky item you dropped 4 years ago
    ● Highlighting the last selected item
    ● Adding playtime to UI (somewhere)

These are just a few ideas/examples. We’ll still be able to run events such as the XP events, so we’ll be hosting events both while updating and after. :) I'm posting this later in the day as more people are coming into the forums, so if we don't answer right away, it's just because we've gone home for the day. We'll try and answer as many questions as possible in the morning.


Tadaah ,
Thank you for being transparent with where VR wants to take the game. I am looking forward to all the new changes that will be implemented over the coarse of the changing of the guards. As a fairly new player (just had my 1 year anniversary) Id like to highlight some things/suggestions I have noticed in my time playing CH.

    I love to fish in this game. Is there any way to make fishing a more worthwhile time investment? From what I've seen not many players are very interested in fishing.
    Mounts are awesome! I love all the different kinds of mounts in the game. When i hang out in Farcrag Castle I see all types of mounts from past events. If Event or Seasonal Mounts returned that would be absolutely amazing.
    Fashion keeps me coming back and spending my gold, new fashion would be great.
    There is a bounty that is bugged called Dark Ritual it won't count the blackstone necromancers kills towards the bounty

Thank you very much for your time and effort to make CH a great game which I hope to spend many more hours with. Im looking forward to what's in store.
[CENTER]
Image
[/CENTER]

Re: Developer Diary: Unity 2018

#36
Awesome.. nice to hear you updating to new engine.. I cant wait to see new content after you done with upgrading..
BT helmet doesnt break aura nomore.. it has been fixed..

Also check descriptions on new offhand skills and they should also be more clear.. as for the warrior offhand it just says that youll deal some damage but it doesnt say how much.

Bt raid should also be priortized to be fixed.. also drop rate on pures.. wouldnt be hard to add to next update id think..
These are small areas that affect big endgame playerbase..

Sure.. deleting all mails is very nice and saves alot of time..
But rather have team work on fixing thorn thingey as its ruining for many clans to kill it..
Thanks for updating us..
YouTube: MrScar Celtic Heroes

MrScar
Incendo
Surculus
Scariino


Concordiia, Donn - 25th aug, 2015
Concruiit 25th april, 2017
------------------------------------------------

Image

Re: Developer Diary: Unity 2018

#37
Wolfenstien wrote:
Corrupt wrote:
Wolfenstien wrote:So, whats going on next month you kept going on about?

Quality of life update. I was hoping event tbh

I remember when otm gave us this same kind of message when they first released new engine and things still pushed out slow. Couple years slow.


Unity did not take years to be able to play smooth lol, i was playing it perfectly fine and capable in 2014 right when they released it for droid. Idk what game ur talkin about.

I appreciate the developer diary and would love to see them more often... we used to be given them and dont understand why we dont get them regularly anymore... just to let us know Whats going on with the game some of us have been playing for 7 years.. I hope VR sees this and takes it into consideration. I'm actually excited for the new update no matter how big or small it is, I'm just thankful we have a team that is working on upgrading the game constantly. To me it seems like theyre making a genuine effort, and i appreciate that.

Re: Developer Diary: Unity 2018

#38
Shrike wrote:One, hopefully quick, UI update I'd like to see: Addressing hotbar swaps.

Right now when I try to set up swaps for, say, rings I can't specify what replaces what and all I get is seemingly random results. I'd like to be able to say that Ring X replaces Ring Y in the #1 ring slot with this swap, Ring A replaces Ring B or Ring C in the #2 ring slot with this swap and so on... Basically I want to be able to tie a hotbar slot to a specific inventory slot for equipment.

I've paid plat to have 5 banks of hotbar slots but I still have to go into inventory to switch stuff around for different activities... very frustrating, but hopefully very easy to fix. :D


it's not random... all swaps work from ring slot 1 and brace slot 1, if you want to do others then yes, you have to go into inventory and do them manually.
RoyalBratt ~ 229 Ice Mage

Re: Developer Diary: Unity 2018

#39
I think where OTM failed the community is their lack of a structured plan. New content should be on a schedule and never a “Surprise! Here’s a new piece of content for you to chew on!” type of thing. I have never worked in a coding environment, but have worked on many many large scale program and projects in my day. Every one had a development plan. Everyone had a deadline that was realistic. Is it not realistic to say a monthly event? As dank as the event was, even the collect/cook event was nice because it was something new & different we hadn’t really done before.

- Monthly Event
- Quarterly Seasonal Update like the old days (Chest, Lux Vendors, Seasonal Bosses... And not just “Lets redo Heros Landing graphics.... AGAIN!”)
- Yearly Large Scale Update (Talking New Map, Story, Quests, etc)

If I was running VR, that’d be my plan of attack... oh yeah, and ADVERTISE THE GAME so we aren’t just playing against the same dudes alt toons! Lol!
Howdy!

Re: Developer Diary: Unity 2018

#40
kingsolo wrote:I think where OTM failed the community is their lack of a structured plan. New content should be on a schedule and never a “Surprise! Here’s a new piece of content for you to chew on!” type of thing. I have never worked in a coding environment, but have worked on many many large scale program and projects in my day. Every one had a development plan. Everyone had a deadline that was realistic. Is it not realistic to say a monthly event? As dank as the event was, even the collect/cook event was nice because it was something new & different we hadn’t really done before.

- Monthly Event
- Quarterly Seasonal Update like the old days (Chest, Lux Vendors, Seasonal Bosses... And not just “Lets redo Heros Landing graphics.... AGAIN!”)
- Yearly Large Scale Update (Talking New Map, Story, Quests, etc)

If I was running VR, that’d be my plan of attack... oh yeah, and ADVERTISE THE GAME so we aren’t just playing against the same dudes alt toons! Lol!


That would be nice. The question is whether the team is large enough to work on creating quarterly content and large scale updates.

The main reason OTM switched from quarterly seasonal content to larger scale updates was because there wasn't time to do both. It takes time to plan out, design, develop, and test seasonal content. By the time that's all done, it's getting pretty close to time to get started on the next seasonal event. I personally would prefer large updates over temporary things. If we were still doing seasonal events, I doubt we would have a lot of the newer stuff like Gardens, Fishing, Cooking, Auction House, etc (or at least shoddier versions of them, or only one or two).
Eragon123 - lvl 220 ranger
Zamorak1 - lvl 220 mage
Sulis
Sneaky o.O
Have questions about anything? PM me!

Latest Celtic Heroes Database Update: Character Creator! Go Team #WorldSkillsUSA!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: xxzzaa and 15 guests