Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

New devices... Which to pick?

I'm looking to pick up between 2 and 4 cheap devices solely for CH playing, and I'm wanting to get them for less than $100 apiece... I know what Apple has to offer (iPhone 5c refurb for $80ish ea is best), but I have no experience in the Android world. Would the $50 Amazon fire 7 tablet run CH effectively? Are there cheaper android devices out there? I'd prefer tablet-sized (though perhaps not as big as iPad size), but first priority is a cheap device. Could some of you tech buffs weigh in on this for me?
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]

Re: New devices... Which to pick?

If you are looking for a temporary investment or want to stick to Apple, small devices might be the way to go, but if your willing to spend a little to upgrade/build/buy a PC anyway (although you may not even have to), you can run CH off of it; If you are looking to run multiple accounts/toons at once you can use an android emulator that supports multiple instances on most PCs or a decent laptop I use MeMu-multi, but I've heard good things about Bluestacks and Nox (mostly Nox).
#RIPSparkleCopter2019

Nosy blighter, aren't ya? lol
Lugh: Pegasus, Mindreader - W, Doge Dandolo - D
CH on discord, CH database, Bitey's Guide, Ranked: TOP 5 GOLD hax you need 2 know

Personally I wouldn't touch the Amazon Fire devices. They're heavily locked into the whole Amazon infrastructure with no easy access to anything outside of it. You are limited to the Amazon app store with no access to Google Play store. Not sure if CH is available on Amazon store or if it's readily available as an apk package that can be sideloaded.
To me, the only way to make an Amazon Fire product useful would be to install a custom ROM, in order to remove everything Amazon and turn it into a standard Android tablet. But, with all the hassle this involves, you may as well spend the money on a standard Android tablet, with similar specs, in the first place.
I'm not sure if you're going to get anything better than luke warm performance from anything new at $100, so might be better to look at used / refurbed items on eBay or similar that come with higher specs for the price.
clanless in a clan filled world
- and happy to be so

@Mind
As to the PC, I don't have one, nor the kind of money it would take to make one capable of running a worthwhile amount of instances... I tried bluestacks, but chatting is atrocious and it removes your ability to use any hotkeys if you ever say anything... Does this MeMu have similar problems, and how many instances can you run?

@Robbo
Lukewarm performance kinda comes with the territory, I don't mind that, I have a good device or two to make up for it. CH IS readily available as an APK, but I know very little about how those work... Educate me? Also, I don't care if they're used devices, refurbished, or anything, I'd just like to run CH on them, and I don't know which cheap devices would support the game, at perhaps half of the potential graphics, and not lag too horribly at larger raids. I've heard the Galaxy s3 might work? I'd rather have a tablet of some sort, though...

Edit: Clarity and grammar
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]

Freezerburn/Chrysaor wrote:As to the PC, I don't have one, nor the kind of money it would take to make one capable of running a worthwhile amount of instances... I tried bluestacks, but chatting is atrocious and it removes your ability to use any hotkeys if you ever say anything... Does this MeMu have similar problems, and how many instances can you run?

I'm just on a little surface Pro and I can run 2 no problem if I'm not running anything active in the background or doing anything too intense.
(4 is possible (prohibitively slow and laggy if you try to do much more than log)).

Yes, immediately after chatting your hotkeys are turned off, but its one keystroke away so for me it has become second habit to re-enable movement after talking. (Also, occasionally my hotkey gestures and key-clicks will shift over time, but I believe that is due to the fact that I use multiple monitors and it is attempting to match the resolutions flipping back and forth; I don't think this would be a problem for a static resolution.)

I can't say for certain, having only tried MeMu, but people rate Nox very highly and from the little I've seen of it, it is on par with MeMu on features, the big comparison that I'm not sure of, would be performance with multiples running.
#RIPSparkleCopter2019

Nosy blighter, aren't ya? lol
Lugh: Pegasus, Mindreader - W, Doge Dandolo - D
CH on discord, CH database, Bitey's Guide, Ranked: TOP 5 GOLD hax you need 2 know

Freezerburn/Chrysaor wrote:@Robbo
Lukewarm performance kinda comes with the territory, I don't mind that, I have a good device or two to make up for it. CH IS readily available as an APK, but I know very little about how those work... Educate me? Also, I don't care if they're used devices, refurbished, or anything, I'd just like to run CH on them, and I don't know which cheap devices would support the game, at perhaps half of the potential graphics, and not lag too horribly at larger raids. I've heard the Galaxy s3 might work? I'd rather have a tablet of some sort, though...

With an apk file, you just copy it to the phone, then in a file browser on the phone select the file and click on it. It will recognise it as an installation file and ask if you want to install. However before doing this you will need to enable installing from a file. This is a done in the security settings on the phone, selecting allow to install from unknown sources. The main issue with this is that whenever there is a new client release you won't be able to play the game until you can get the latest apk. Another issue with apk files is the authenticity. If it's not from OTM directly then there is a chance it may have been hacked. I think it would be much easier to have tablet with Google Play installed, so updates are automatic and safe.
If you can find anything with 2GB RAM and 2.0GHZ processor refurb or used, then it 'should' be adequate. Though if you need to compromise could go down to 1.5GHZ processor or 1.5GB RAM.

If you can find cheap ($40 - 50 max), used 2nd gen Nexus 7 tablets, these could be OK.
clanless in a clan filled world
- and happy to be so

I highly recommend not getting a Fire Tablet to run Celtic Heroes.

The specs are tragically low and the device is locked into the amazon ecosystem, no Play Store.

Second hand Nexus 7 2nd Gen is a good choice, Esqs personal tablet is a Nexus 7.
Muldar /
Ranger - 172 - Balor - Android

Muldar wrote:I highly recommend not getting a Fire Tablet to run Celtic Heroes.

The specs are tragically low and the device is locked into the amazon ecosystem, no Play Store.

Second hand Nexus 7 2nd Gen is a good choice, Esqs personal tablet is a Nexus 7.

I don't suppose you or any of the devs have tested CH out on Ipad Pro, (10.5) I am currently on Air2 which is very good tbh, but I want something faster and wouldn't mind some feedback if anyone has used before.
thank you
MageM220+
WarriorW220+
RangerR220+
Under construction ?150+
Under construction ?190+