Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

theoretical dps calculation

is there a way, in general, to calculate a theoretical dps based on your attack, dmg, and weapon speed.

i know my attack is 1028 and damage is 297. my bow is speed 3092. just curious if there is a way to 'normalize' these numbers to create a rough dps. obviously, hit/miss ratio would play into this. but it would be interesting to be able to use these three number to get something that represents dps - then you could compare different characters - or decide how best to apply new ability points (str, dex, whatever).

I could figure out, empirically, my dps by actually recording my damage and the length of time. but i am interested in something more theoretical.

It would be cool if, on our stats page, there was a general hit/miss ratio and on-going dps score (that could be reset).

As a related question: does anyone know how rapid fire works? does it just effectively reduce your weapon speed? if so, by how much?

thanks
Civility, Integrity, and the Hermeneutic of Generosity

World: Lugh
Akbar: Ranger 220+
DrXyn-Druid 180+
Xyn: Mage 170+
Rabka: Rogue 150+
Rabak: Warrior 90+
Clan: Chieftain of Ancients

Re: theoretical dps calculation

DPS stands for damage per second. The formula is DMG/ATKspeed

Level difference and target defenses also play a role, so I think you could say you do 2/3 of the calculated number as a rough estimate (against mobs your level). So 2(DMG)/3(AS)

Note: the calculated number for dps is small because attack speed is not in seconds. If you find a way or test it out yourself, use the attack speed in the form of seconds. If you keep it a small number, you can still compare dps with other weapons, stats, etc.
SirBlaze333 - 220+ Warrior
(Returning Player)

thanks - dmg/speed is a good metric. so i am about 0.1 - nice to be able to compare to others.

i wonder if you could multiply by attack to compare two users (for non-skill shots). high dps with low attack would not seem very effective. maybe (atk) * (dmg/speed) as a relative number for comparing.

but dmg/speed is really quite perfect when comparing two different weapons to see which will actually be better. Heck, divide by price to get most effective weapon per gold piece!

thanks for the thoughts.

DrXyn-Druid 180+

This is all estimation for example sake. This doesnt include the numberous variables like armor, defence, speed, etc.

Basically first you find how how much attack speed makes up a second. For example say 2500 attack speed is a second. Meteoric Bow stats, 3000 speed, 75 pierce. Just for example, say damage ends up at 500 with all dps gear etc. You basically set the proportion, 2500/3000 = X/500. Simplify if you can, then cross multiply ----> 5/6 = X/500 ----> 2500 = 6x -----> X = 416.7 Damage Per Second.
Rosmerta
Formerly the original Eo.
iOS Beta Tester Pre-Otherworld
Currently KEnergy
Been a Part of the Greatest Clans in Rosmerta through the thick and thin.
Templars - TemplarElites - Synergy - KSksers - Alliance - United - Revenge - Mythology

On a side note, how does DMG/AS work? The result will always be under 1 and I'm pretty sure even a lvl 1 hits for more then 1 damage per second lol. Maybe later on I can develop a detailed formula when Im not busy and want to think lol.
Rosmerta
Currently KEnergy
Templars - TemplarElites - Synergy - KSksers - Alliance - United - Revenge - Mythology

On a side note, how does DMG/AS work? The result will always be under 1 and I'm pretty sure even a lvl 1 hits for more then 1 damage per second lol. Maybe later on I can develop a detailed formula when Im not busy and want to think lol.
I BOLDED THE REASON
Please read everything (especially bolded text) before replying.

What you said is a more complicated version of what I said. Its the same result (just replace the AS value with the actual AS in seconds)
SirBlaze333 - 220+ Warrior
(Returning Player)

remember, the key here is not necessarily getting the actual dps - but being able to compare relative dps among characters or weapons.

so if my dmg is 300 and my speed is 3000 then my calculation is 0.1

if i decide to compare to a different weapon where my damage is 350 and speed is 5000 then i get 350/5000 = 0.07

while i dont know my actual dps - i do know that the second weapon is not going to do as much damage in a unit of time as the first - because it is so much slower. of course, you might still want it for skill shots only (like when shiver has a cloak of fire on).

As mentioned, this is only a rough estimate - esp since it doesn't consider your hit/miss ratio against a given attacker. but it is an easy calculation that gives you a bases for comparing.

my guess is that by multiplying by attack ( so formula is ATT * (dmg/speed) ) you may be able to compare the relative dps between two characters - or assess how much difference things like steady aim skill does.

something to experiment around with.

Thank you all for your input and thoughts.

DrXyn-Druid 180+

Youre not calculating DPS then, just damage per attack speed. If Admin could release how much attack speed is a second, I could maybe make a formula of actual DPS with trial and error with a couple of buddies in my world.
Rosmerta
Currently KEnergy