Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: The science behind addiction.

Eh the social aspect is whatever, I just wish I could kill more shet. I love the instance aspect of runescape on all bosses and wish something like that could be implemented. Something where I can go on a boss raid with some experienced players for an hour or three and maybe make some money, earn some good gear or strike out and try again another time.

Lugh
[list][*]Vulture - Level 220 Rogue
[*]Venus - Level 195 Druid[/list][/color]

I don't believe this is true, although I might need some collage medical student noseless blue creature to prove me wrong.

What I gather from this, is that between neurons there are little gaps, one side has tiny nozzles and the other has tiny pores. What happens when the 'emitter' (the nozzle side) is stimulated is it emits a few molecules of dopamine which will make you feel satisfied (for example, drinking a soda then feeling good after that). If you stimulate it for long enough, some of those pores will close up, not allowing dopamine through. This in turn will leave you unsatisfied (you will want more soda to get the same amount of satisfaction.
WARNING :!: [This is going to be a long post, sorry for that.]

This is correct and same goes for amphetamines and ecstasy abusers . The substance causes a dramatic increase of serotonin, giving the person an experience of intense confidence, feeling of being free to do anything, easily and overly comfortable, or thinking they are invincible. That's why you see people on X dancing like a fool at a rave - they have completely shut out all care of other people's judgement. They become hyper and seek out anything that makes them feel good. However, a person withdrawing from it will become horribly anxious and paranoid.

It is not that their body is not producing the chemical anymore it is that their receiving neurons have stopped accepting serotonin or whatever neurotransmitter that has been over produced. This is called "re-uptake". That is why you hear of anti depression/anxiety medications such as SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor) or NRIs (Noripenephrine Reuptake Inhibitor) or DRI's (Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor) which are commonly used to treat certain types of substance abuse. There is a list of re-uptake inhibitors used to treat both substance abuse and mental health disorders. There are three different neurotransmitters that contribute to stress, anxiety, depression, and ultimately addiction.

Serotonin tends to work on your self esteem, social skills, and rational reasoning. If you have too much, you become out of control and lose a sense thinking things through before you act upon it. If you have too little, you think too much, have little confidence, and fear the worst in any situation. Dopamine is considered the "happy" chemical in your brain. It gives you euphoria and makes you feel on top of the world. People with too much dopamine are excited all the time and have high ambitions and have grandeur ideas. This is called "mania" and is commonly seen with people with bipolar disorder. After a manic stage, the brain realizes that too much dopamine is being produced so it stops accepting it, causing depression. Noreprinephrine underlies the body's flight or fight response, works with adrenal gland, corresponds with other neurotransmitters, and controls how your body reacts to stress. I won't go into too much detail of how noreprinephrine works when there is too much, because it is more about disorders related to the adrenal glands and how it becomes stored in the brain and converted to other chemicals and it gets confusing. I do know that the less noreprinephrine you have, the more you have physical symptoms of depression, stress, and anxiety. A person with too little noreprinephrine can experience conversion disorders (insomnia, stress-related migraines, psychogenic seizures, psychogenic paralysis, etc.). Although they are caused by a mental health issue, these disorders are very real and uncontrollable.

So, if a person is lacking too much in one or more of these neurotransmitters, they can easily fall victim to an addiction or compulsive disorder. Gaming gives us a similar high and affects our neurons in similar ways as drugs/alcohol. Now, what is more important - getting to the highest level you can, or finding a more productive outlet for your daily stresses? Psshhh... no brainer, it's playing Celtic Heroes. :P
So would there be a way to get addicted to something? That is actually worthwhile, I feel like 1 hour of playing trumpet isn't enough. I also need to read more books ( 1 book to be specific but...) without taking drugs or something
Flamingduckee- lvl 155+ druid full froZen
FlamingDPS- lvl 86 rouge
Flaminghawk- lvl 20 mage
RIP Solitaire
Clansman of Marath
RIP-ferdais blades
Gwydion
John 3:16
https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/i ... 054AAhfLoh
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]

I don't believe this is true, although I might need some collage medical student noseless blue creature to prove me wrong.

What I gather from this, is that between neurons there are little gaps, one side has tiny nozzles and the other has tiny pores. What happens when the 'emitter' (the nozzle side) is stimulated is it emits a few molecules of dopamine which will make you feel satisfied (for example, drinking a soda then feeling good after that). If you stimulate it for long enough, some of those pores will close up, not allowing dopamine through. This in turn will leave you unsatisfied (you will want more soda to get the same amount of satisfaction.

This is correct and same goes for amphetamines and ecstasy abusers . The substance causes a dramatic increase of serotonin, giving the person an experience of intense confidence, feeling of being free to do anything, easily and overly comfortable, or thinking they are invincible. That's why you see people on X dancing like a fool at a rave - they have completely shut out all care of other people's judgement. They become hyper and seek out anything that makes them feel good. However, a person withdrawing from it will become horribly anxious and paranoid.

It is not that their body is not producing the chemical anymore it is that their receiving neurons have stopped accepting serotonin or whatever neurotransmitter that has been over produced. This is called "re-uptake". That is why you hear of anti depression/anxiety medications such as SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor) or NRIs (Noripenephrine Reuptake Inhibitor) or DRI's (Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor) which are commonly used to treat certain types of substance abuse. There is a list of re-uptake inhibitors used to treat both substance abuse and mental health disorders. There are three different neurotransmitters that contribute to stress, anxiety, depression, and ultimately addiction.

Serotonin tends to work on your self esteem, social skills, and rational reasoning. If you have too much, you become out of control and lose a sense thinking things through before you act upon it. If you have too little, you think too much, have little confidence, and fear the worst in any situation. Dopamine is considered the "happy" chemical in your brain. It gives you euphoria and makes you feel on top of the world. People with too much dopamine are excited all the time and have high ambitions and have grandeur ideas. This is called "mania" and is commonly seen with people with bipolar disorder. After a manic stage, the brain realizes that too much dopamine is being produced so it stops accepting it, causing depression. Noreprinephrine underlies the body's flight or fight response, works with adrenal gland, corresponds with other neurotransmitters, and controls how your body reacts to stress. I won't go into too much detail of how noreprinephrine works when there is too much, because it is more about disorders related to the adrenal glands and how it becomes stored in the brain and converted to other chemicals and it gets confusing. I do know that the less noreprinephrine you have, the more you have physical symptoms of depression, stress, and anxiety. A person with too little noreprinephrine can experience conversion disorders (insomnia, stress-related migraines, psychogenic seizures, psychogenic paralysis, etc.). Although they are caused by a mental health issue, these disorders are very real and uncontrollable.

So, if a person is lacking too much in one or more of these neurotransmitters, they can easily fall victim to an addiction or compulsive disorder. Gaming gives us a similar high and affects our neurons in similar ways as drugs/alcohol. Now, what is more important - getting to the highest level you can, or finding a more productive outlet for your daily stresses? Psshhh... no brainer, it's playing Celtic Heroes. :P
It appears i had the wrong thing in mind when you said " addiction" sorry.
I am a Moderator Need any help? Private message me here or send me a mail in-game, Liviticus on every world.

So would there be a way to get addicted to something? That is actually worthwhile, I feel like 1 hour of playing trumpet isn't enough. I also need to read more books ( 1 book to be specific but...) without taking drugs or something
You can pretty much be mentally addicted to ANYTHING. However, there is a fine line between addiction and obsessive compulsion. Addiction is when you have an underlying problem that you are trying to resolve through a temporary quick fix - say you drink too much to forget your troubles, get high to calm your anxiety, or you play games all the time to distract yourself from stress. Obsession is confusing, you obsess when you you have an underlying fear that if you don't do a certain thing, something bad will happen. Like, the thought that if you don't play the trumpet for 3 hours a day, you will be horrible at music and a failure. Or if you don't read as many books as possible you will be a dunce. You can also obsess when you become fixated on the effect that something gives you - this is where it is on the borderline of addiction. Perhaps you get a thrill out of accomplishing reading a book, so you feel you must read another to feel that thrill again. Maybe you feel relieved after playing the trumpet for a long period of time (music and art can give you a catharsis - a sudden release of pent up emotions). Therefore, you play the trumpet more and more to keep getting that relief. I'm not saying here that if you are addicted/obsessed with playing the trumpet or reading then that is a bad thing. We all have our fixations and it can be perfectly healthy. But, when it is something that endangers your life, eats away at your money, or isolates you from friends and family - then you have to treat it.
Gwydion
Main:
Class: Rogue
Level: 162
Clan: Cry
http://www.ClanCry.weebly.com
Alts:
GreenWitch (my druid)

So, we all know the classic game-addiction model which restricts when dopamine can be released by limiting play-time, such as clash of clans with their ridiculously long wait times, how this works is when we experience joy, dopamine gets released between neurons, when we get too much dopamine, we need more dopamine to stimulate ourselves to the same way.

For example, let's take a can of soda:

You drink a can of soda every day for a year, the first quarter you really like it, but nearing the end of the year it just isn't the same anymore- this is because the dopamine receptors have closed a little, allowing less dopamine to flow through and make you feel good , you now need more stimulation to reach the same effect (2 cans of soda)

After the 2nd year, the 2 sodas also start becoming dull, so you start drinking 3... untill you get diabetes that is.

This applies to games aswell, have you ever wondered why you are stabbing low-graphic shadows while call of duty is collecting dust? Why ganes are only fun for a month at best? It's not thr game thats boring, it's you that have overstimulated your dopamine receptors by bombarding them with dopamine day and night for weeks, while on games like candy crush have things i like to call "restrictors" things that restrict how long you can play, restricting how much dopamine you recieve.

However, why doean't this happen in celtic heroes? I can level all day long, everyday and i'm still here, why aren't my dopamine receptors so overstimulated i'm disgusted by yhe game?

The social side of the game.
In a similar way i will never get tired of my best friend, i won't get tired of my best in-game friend.
If you are on my world or see my sig often, you will know i've beem this level for about half a year, why? Because i have found i'm not a "level and boss" type of player (although, i do like that and will hopefully return to that soon.) I'm a social player, i love the community, the players on my world, and being a moderator (although i admit i'm the worst one, and have alot to learn from my more senior mods, i love what i do.)

Thanks OTM for a great game, and thank you, the players, for enhancing the greatness.
Game Theory much?
Galactus: Level 100 Rogue
World: Taranis
Clan: Curiosity

How about that false sense of achievement? Did you know the social aspect can trigger dopamine release? This game has been collecting dust lol. You can actually control what makes you happy or sad by deciding how you want to react to something if you have self control and being as mindful of long term goals as you are of short term ones.
Normal is an illusion. After all what is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.