Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

How much XP? (Math Geni Required)

Ok. so I am trying to find an equation for calculating exactly how much xp is needed to level at any given level. I have spent the last three days trying to figure this out, but to no avail (it has been awhile since I last graphed parabolas).

So, I made a new character to see how much xp is needed to level for the first couple times. I came up with this:

lvl 1-2: 500 xp
lvl 2-3: 700 xp
lvl 3-4: 1000 xp

This may seem easy, but it is not, considering that the three given points do not include the vertex. This means that we will have to either use some sort of formula to find the vertex or use a guess and check system.

I set up a data table to try and help us, and I simplified the xp values:
Y= level
x= xp needed to level up/100

---Y---|---X---
1 | 5
2 | 7
3 | 10

So the goal is to find a quadratic equation that, when graphed, goes through these three points. Any help? Any Suggestions? All productive comments welcome.

-Regenleif
World Taranis

- Regenleif -
Rachmaninoff
Aedin Flameborn

Taranis United!
Former Leader in theILLUMINATI and Aeon

I am a Guide! If you need any tips/help/advice, Click Here to send me a message!

Re: How much XP? (Math Geni Required)

Tylerdawg1 wrote:Well according to my ti-84 silver edition calculator the equation to fit those points would be .5x^2 + .5x + 4. I could also find a cubic function linear or even quartic.

Yes but that dosent address the fundamental question of how many bags of Cheetos I need to consume if I had a lvl 153 and now need to get to 194! Pls help!
Member of Aeon - Taranis - 24 boxer
220+ toons
Ravenleaf druid - Silverstring ranger
Stormsong warrior - Nwerb Mage - Eventide Rogue

Toon histogram:
Level_____|200+|150-199|100-149|50-99|20-49|1-19|
# of toons|_5__|___16___|____3___|__11__|__21_|407|

Why are you so fixed on creating a quadratic equation? You don't have enough points to say, "I can fit a porabola that accurately goes through these points."

If you take the time to accurately measure xp, you can get data points for every level. So if you were to calculate the xp required to level for every five levels, you would have a pretty accurate set of data points. If you put those points onto a graph, you will see a general shape. That shape will tell you which type of equation to start with.

Keep in mind that OTM could be using a really complex equation that could be replicated accurately enough with a simpler equation.
SirBlaze333 - 220+ Warrior
(Returning Player)

Sir Blaze333 wrote:Why are you so fixed on creating a quadratic equation? You don't have enough points to say, "I can fit a porabola that accurately goes through these points."

If you take the time to accurately measure xp, you can get data points for every level. So if you were to calculate the xp required to level for every five levels, you would have a pretty accurate set of data points. If you put those points onto a graph, you will see a general shape. That shape will tell you which type of equation to start with.

Keep in mind that OTM could be using a really complex equation that could be replicated accurately enough with a simpler equation.

Well to be technical they don't even need to use an equation. Rather a lookup table could be used which is the more likely solution to what is coded - it was generated perhaps from a single function or even piece wise functions. It could change at any time also and tho it seems unlikely could be class dependent. Or it was simply read off fortune cookie lotto numbers. we may never know. :shock:

Never underestimate the power of three data points to predict the next 207. Or was that overestimate? The only thing I'm sure of is it never pays to drink and derive.
220+ toons

Toon histogram:

Plus3 wrote:
Sir Blaze333 wrote:Why are you so fixed on creating a quadratic equation? You don't have enough points to say, "I can fit a porabola that accurately goes through these points."

Well to be technical they don't even need to use an equation. Rather a lookup table could be used which is the more likely solution to what is coded - it was generated perhaps from a single function or even piece wise functions. It could change at any time also and tho it seems unlikely could be class dependent. Or it was simply read off fortune cookie lotto numbers. we may never know. :shock:

Never underestimate the power of three data points to predict the next 207. Or was that overestimate? The only thing I'm sure of is it never pays to drink and derive.

Firstly, there are many equations that can fit 3 data points that close.
Secondly, three points can tell a lot, but in this case, not too much.
Thirdly, a table represents the equation's variables and and their relations.
Fourthly, the game is set up (and I think it was an admin who said this) so that the time to level increases linearly. We know that xp per mob rises slowely as you level and mobs don't take that much longer to kill as you level. This means that the rate at which xp required to level is related to level. A rate of change is also known as a derivative. If there is a derivative, there is an original equation.

So yes, there is a table. That table includes those three points as well as other points. However, you cannot have a table of this sort without an equation.
(Returning Player)

Sir Blaze333 wrote:
Plus3 wrote:

Firstly, there are many equations that can fit 3 data points that close.
Secondly, three points can tell a lot, but in this case, not too much.
Thirdly, a table represents the equation's variables and and their relations.
Fourthly, the game is set up (and I think it was an admin who said this) so that the time to level increases linearly. We know that xp per mob rises slowely as you level and mobs don't take that much longer to kill as you level. This means that the rate at which xp required to level is related to level. A rate of change is also known as a derivative. If there is a derivative, there is an original equation.

So yes, there is a table. That table includes those three points as well as other points. However, you cannot have a table of this sort without an equation.

There are an infinite number of equations that can pass through 3 points. 3 points, without other knowledge, say nothing about the actual function, if in fact it can be defined as one. I could talk about the nyquist sampling period, but it's a waste of time. The actual table is probably stored as an array variable, with no need whatsoever to conform to a linear formula, which was my point. Not that you can't fit one and make it work if you have enough data lols. You can easily have a table that does not fit any equation I have coded similar things for approximating thermistors and other sensors - custom calibration to unwarp the data more accurately and with far fewer CPU cycles than any sane function can provide.

It's entirely possible that each successive level was just computed by multiplying by 40% and rounding to the nearest 100xp. Rinse and repeat and no continuous function will line up with this simple procedure.

Also to be technical again, just because there is a derivative does not mean there is a function that can be solved for in open form. Integration is not always easy. Plenty exist where your only option is to pick a starting point and numerically extrapolate the answer. In the linear case it is quite trivial obviously.
Last edited by Plus3 on Sun May 05, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
220+ toons

Toon histogram:

The rate at which experience required increases as you level is clearly not linear. I said the rate at which you level is linear as that has been confirmed.

What are you argueing? You're contradicting youself by agreeing with me. You basically reworded a couple points. Idk what your trying to prove but what I said is correct and you have yet to prove me wrong.

I'm not going to teach you about derivatives but what I can tell you is that it has everything to do with equations.

And your explanation for xp rise with the 40% and rounding can be turned into an equation.
Last edited by Sir Blaze333 on Sun May 05, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Returning Player)

Sir Blaze333 wrote:The rate at which experience required increases as you level is clearly not linear. I said the rate at which you level is linear as that has been confirmed.

What are you argueing? You're contradicting youself by agreeing with me. You basically reworded a couple points. Idk what your trying to prove but what I said is correct and you have yet to prove me wrong.

Who said anything about being wrong? Look up. Where did I say that? Just expanded on ideas really.

Also I passed my ap calc exam with 2 years of college calculus complete. A total waste of time but required for my masters and phd.
Last edited by Plus3 on Sun May 05, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
220+ toons

Toon histogram: