Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

The Future of Celtic Heroes

I had a long drawn out conversation with Richard during the beta. Among the things we discussed was where Celtic Heroes was heading and what it might become known for. There is so much potential with this game, the things in the future have yet to become a reality. Let me address something very important first.

Advertising

This game needs money to produce good, quality updates that everyone will be satisfied with. I find no harm in paying money for items so long as it is within reason (which it is). The only way I found out about Celtic Heroes was through the "Release Date" in the category of games I usually play. Most people don't even know this game exists, and its essential to the game's future that this game becomes known. The only way it can become known is through advertising. If you have suggestions on advertising, please comment below. One of the most effective methods I've seen is in-app advertisements. If the developers put a nice image with 3D MMORPG in a few popular apps that would advertise the game, we would potentially see thousands of new players. If anyone has any experience or any idea how to get into in-app advertising or other good ideas to get the word out, please mention them!

Now, on to the main point of the thread. Every MMORPG is known for something. One of the ideas I'm quite fond of is a good/evil faction choice. Perhaps in the near future you will be able to pick a side; good or evil. The side you pick determines the route your character will take, their armours, their weapons, their quests, and have a direct effect on certain PvP instances. Do you really want your mage/warrior/ranger/druid/rogue to be a normal celtic fighter with no choices that determine your game-play? This would help create (what I see to be) a backbone for Celtic Heroes that will create more choices, a definite structure, and a better MMO feel.

This has been suggested many times, but it still needs to be emphasized. PvP will be introduced, there is no doubt about that. The easiest thing for the developers to start with will more then likely be a 1v1 PvP arena. In this arena you can place bets. The bets have no limit. This is the Las Vegas of Celtic Heroes - you risk what you have IF you're willing. Those who don't play games with their money don't have to take part, and those who do can have their fun. This will server two main purposes:

1.) - A player bets 10,000 gold and loses it. He buys 10,000 gold back from the platinum store. The money he spent on the gold goes straight towards update content and more; things that can only be used to improve the game itself and benefit everyone else.

2.) - Many people play MMORPGs for reasons other then your run of the mill grinding, quests, and storyline. This thread is about what will set Celtic Heroes apart from all other MMORPGs out there. A very big outlet from your everyday activities are instances such as these in which a player can make their own choices with the money and items they've earned.

With PvP being mentioned, I want to share my version of the future of PvP. The developers have done something that already seperates Celtic Heroes from most iPhone MMOs - clans. In order to set the standard high it would be a good idea to make full use of clans in PvP. Wouldn't it be neat if you could battle on key locations throughout Celtic Heroes? You could battle on the Northern Peninsula, Shalemont Ravine, Stonevale, the starting Beach, Farcrag Castle, and the list goes on. You and your clan could show their dominance over a specific territory by going to war with that territory. To claim war on a specific territory (war territories would be marked by current keystones) your clan would have to pay a fee out of the clan bank. There would be a certain time period (24 hours - 1 week) in which a territory would recieve a flag letting everyone know there will be a battle. The clans get organized and meet at the specified time, and they battle it out. There could also be a way to save a village from being seiged or a giant mob. This has also been suggested before, but either way would make a spectacular PvP/clan experience. Once a keystone/village has been dominated, that territory would give you specific bonuses if you're in the clan that is dominating the territory. Farcrag Castle may offer discounted prices and buy your items for higher prices. When fighting on that territory you may recieve a 10% regeneration rate. Perhaps some territories even offer clan ONLY dungeons that require the teamwork and cooperation of many people to reap rewards that go straight back to the clan as a whole (money that goes into the clan bank, clan bonuses such as vitality boosts, focus boosts, and regeneration rates). This could all play a part in the good/evil factions that will consistently be at war.

Richard and I talked for some time on topics such as these, and ultimately the developers want to know how to set Celtic Heroes way above the rest. They want everyone's opinion in doing so. I know that the iPhone has limitations and you can only do so much, but right now we're looking far ahead and assuming that anything is possible. The developers are curious as to what everyone wants in the game, and it really has to be something that will set this game apart and make it something that everyone can thoroughly enjoy. Once this game gets advertised and the wheels start turning, I think we will all be surprised with how far this game will go. With that being said, please give your suggestions on what you'd like to see and any advertising tips dealing with apps that you may have to give. I'd love to hear any feedback, comments, or suggestions!

Re: The Future of Celtic Heroes

Having played numerous RPGs and MMORPGs, I feel I have a pretty good understanding of what makes games good and what makes them great.

A truly epic game (such as Chrono Trigger) has many things in common with most other games in this category: storyline, lots of gear, quality/different quests, likeability of the characters, and finally, replayability. But it is the quality of them that sets it apart.

For Celtic Heroes, this would mean a couple drastic changes, such as a brief history of all the classes-how they came into being, some of the lore assosiated with each class, and what future events they might partake in.
While the quests are pretty good, they leave a lot to be desired, there is currently very little satisfaction in completing many quests as it does very little for the overall story. Now, to be fair, MMORPGs don't necessarily need to have every quest advance a story line, but since this is a themed game it would do wonders in making it feel like a truly Celtic game instead of a cookie cutter MMORPG with celtic characters and enemies.

As for graphics, they are quite good. I would rather have an attachment to the heroes and the story than the graphics. I consider it icing on a cake, but for some, it is a must to have really good graphics.

Replayability: the amount of choices in how to build each class is ok, nothing special, but it's not bad either. If we could take each class in a couple of different directions (evolve them somehow) this would aid greatly in replayability. Having a dynamic environment will also help. PvP, world events, quests that change- this sort of thing.

Gear: I have no worries about this for Celtic Heroes, the Dev team have done a great job so far, and from what I have seen from admin conversations, will continue to come up with a variety of items.

World and dungeons: For now (since I am not a beta tester) I can say it is a very small setting, too small. If my understanding of the update is correct, this will be much better. What I am talking about though, is a world large enough to make mounts a very wanted item, even after using fast travel. Dungeons, I have no complaints, except maybe that right now there is little incentive to team up. Dungeons are supposed to be for groups, not for whever can solo the best.

Also, I personally would like to see many more quests. I have played games where grinding is a requirement and it turns me off. Some like that sort of thing, but it is far too time consuming for my taste.

In short, I feel like this game lacks the draw of a connection: both with the characters and the story. There needs to be more options in how to play each character class, and more incentive to form groups. If you have one of each class, you don't need to even know what quests are in your inventory in order to complete them, and turn them in- dynamic quests would help keep even the same quest a bit more interesting.

I apologize if this seems like I am bashing the game, that is not my intent. I simply am voicing my opinion for things that can take this game from fun, to Amazing!

It takes a lot of money to keep an MMORPG up and running, and a free one is even more challenging. While in game advertising is an option, it is one that if not kept in check can ruin a game. I have seen partnerships go into place, where each game features links and advertisements to other companies games-even offering free items or discounts if an account is made for both. The best bet (in my opinion) lies with the platinum purchases. By that, I mean partnering up with other companies- saying,"if we post links to your websites/products, will you give us x% of any business made?" The forums are another good place for product placing. Have a section on each side for advertisements that can change. As the game grows in popularity, those spots will be worth more money.
Also, vanity items in the game store, such as custom outfits, special mounts, paints for armor, unique emotes, unique faces/hairstyles- those things are highly prized by the paying players and it will certainly add diversity to the game.

Hope this was enough constructive criticism for one post.

Edit: forgot to mention: YOUTUBE. Make a few kick arse teasers and stress that it is free to play. Once the word gets out, I am willing to bet many people would go to YouTube for some research. If you can peak their interest, you have new players. Also, if you can contact websites that do lists of games, such as mmomac, that would also bring in some curious people. Celtic Heroes just sounds cool. If I saw it on a list with a few screen shots, I'd be willing to download it and check it out.
New to the game? Find your answers here: Tips for Beginners

“A man only becomes wise when he begins to calculate the approximate depth of his ignorance.” -Gian Carlo Menotti

A game I used to play a lot was pocket legends they have in store adverts which give free plat and this was very popular though less if a community spirit as for pvp world of magic has a good system for pvp they have identical maps which link together in a pvp zone neither side is able to talk to the other as chat is scrambled and they have two factions this sort of thing could be implemented with a server merge placing some worlds on one faction and the others on the other most communication between the two worlds is with emotes and players who have alts on opposing faction they also have a Market place and a black Market for selling items to each other or too the opposing faction you pay to kist items on Market
Something like this would be nice and allows those who want to pvp to do it and if you don't then you don't have to
Doing Magic stuff since June 2011

I am the Chief of a fairly large clan in Sulis. Sulis used to be somewhere towards the bottom of the serves, population wise. Now I see us at the top of the list when I look at the world list prior to logging on. We have low pings and everything, usually. Well, we are creating a Clan website, using a subdomain. We will want to have links for the official Celtic Heroes site, and do what we can to advertise the game we love. I don't know if we would be able to advertise our Clan site in any way, so that new people could first look at our page, and then be directed to the games site. Richard or any developer can PM me and we can discuss any of this. We have a few web developers and coders in our clan.

As to what I would like the game to evolve into, I have a few ideas. Most of mine are not original, but if the developers keep hearing the same ideas, maybe they will put them in the game. Here is a small list.

Crafting and enchanting of items; various levels of Clan membership; a clan bank that only appointed members can withdraw from but all can deposit into.

Tog
Togarth Lvl 150 Mage World Sulis General of Clan Retribution 3rd Place in Marshall's Crystal Armor Event (ChuckNorris)

Here are my suggestions

1. I would like to see more storylines and subquests. There is a whole mythology with the celts that could be built into the game. Use celt lore to build out quests to meet gods, be sent on errands to obtain items, defend english, roman, french invaders, etc.

2. Clan communciation--it would be nice to have an ingame message board so the Chieftains and Guardians could post about meetings, raids, PVP, when it comes out, so that players would know what is going on.

3. Clan Market Place--Where again Chiefs & Guardians could post items for sale to clanmembers, set prices or negotiate with clanmembers for items. All funds go to a clan bank for the chief to use as he wishes

4. More Skills--With the skills I use right now, i can have everything maxed by level 70. Add more skill choices so players really need to decide what type of character they want to be.

5. I like the good vs. evil suggestion. Also be able to choice a focused path for each character, a warrior could become a beserker, mage become a necromancer, druid become a summoner, etc.

6. Larger play area--If we attract more players to the game, the areas need to be emense so that people have the freedom to wander and not everyone is crammped in a small area all trying to kill one boss.

7. Spawn Time--Decrease the spawn time for bosses a little. Again having people waiting around for that one spawn is going to create tension between players.

8. Market Center--A place were players can put gear up for sale and set own prices. The gold will go back to the player upon completion of the transaction or when the player next logs in.

9. Kill Stealing is bad--I think this is the biggest tension in the game for players. I personally like the idea posted before regarding spliting the exp by amount of damage. If a drop occurs make it random like the bosses in group kills.

10. Lots of Gear--Nothing better than choices for the players to keep it interesting and trying different items out.

Thank your for listening and creating a great game. Keep up the awesome work and I am looking forward to the update
Arawn: HotHealer, Belgaron, Ulath, ShadowWalker, Sparhawk
Level: 50 Druid, 54 Mage, 61 Ranger, 50 Rogue, 42 Warrior
Clan: Juppongatana

a good and free method of advertising will be FACEBOOK.
In this Forum are maybe around 100 active Members, when everybody will share the Facebook page of celtic hero ( and there will be a very nice trailer of the game ) new People will join the game. Just imagine everybody has 100 Facebook friends, you will reach 10 000 people for free. Then maybe 100 of these 10 000 people will try the game and 50 will like it, they will share it to their friends, and so and and so on...
Developer can also add a Facebook integration, so if you share Celtic Hero on Facebook you will get 5 Platinum (s.th. like that).

To help with storyline could put in different gods.
Each one would give a story and direction for a theme.
Would help push the good and evil sides.
Also would help with newer classes later on like cleric monks and palitons

Each god could have there own story and powers and may give each player a boost for making them there god ( bonus in certain stats, extra skill points, extra attack or def)

To help with storyline could put in different gods.
Each one would give a story and direction for a theme.
Would help push the good and evil sides.
Also would help with newer classes later on like cleric monks and palitons

Each god could have there own story and powers and may give each player a boost for making them there god ( bonus in certain stats, extra skill points, extra attack or def)

Similar to runescape gods , am i right?
IGN: Rogue (Rogue)
IGN: Mage (Mage)
World: Mabon
Clan: DivineForces

I'm not a Beta tester so no idea what has been implemented already...

So for me the most important thing in an MMO are the other ppl (I can play some other game if I don't want anything to do with ppl). It would be awesome to get these Clan areas as well as PvP, Clan v Clan or Group v Group areas.

A market place would also be great, but I think it would be best if every clan could get some "trader" to sell their products, not every player.

I find max Skill points at 10 a little low. Also, there are very few Skills to chose from. It would be nice to have some quests that make you chose a side (i.e. kill/dont kill). Based on the choice the player makes, he would then be able to buy a certain skill.

I would also like more class-specific quests. For example rooms/areas that only Druids/Mages can enter (or groups with a Druid/Mage). The goes for each class. Also, areas in which certain characters are stronger than others (for example a temple where Mages have the upper hand, downtown where rogues are masters, castle where warriors are great, woods for rangers and a dessert for druids).

Making the strength difference between druids and other classes smaller. I'm not going into details here, it has been greatly discussed.

Upgrading items. Learn a profession that will enable you to upgrade items. The professions are kind of class specific. Example: Tailoring. All classes can learn it, but they create different items. Warrior clothes give good armor, rogue clothes disguise, ranger clothes enhance running/dodging, mage clothes enhance strength, druid clothes offer health. It would be neat if clothes could be enhanced by more than on person/class. The things necessary to update an item should be found by picking up/killing. They should also be rather rare.

Making the character more unique would be nice too, but not extremely necessary. :)

What I don't like so much is that atm even before update, Lirs Reach is quite deserted while everyone is in the Catacombs. One big reason I play an MMO is bc of the ppl and its kind of depressing that no one is around :D It would be nice if the n00b place could somehow be integrated with the advanced player places. Hehe. (Clan areas would prob. do the trick :D)

Chat: It would be nice be able to look at individual conversations/clan conversations without all the gibberish in-between and a more convenient way to switch between clan, whisper, shouts etc. I have an idea on how to do this, but I'd have to show it in a picture. If you're interested, just tell me I'll draw it. Hehe.

Thats all I can think of right now. A lot of his has been mentioned above I guess. :)

<3 Xell

EDIT

Setting traps in clan territory for non-clan intruders would be great. Hehe :D
Selene (Mage) 134 | Xellaya (Druid) 110
Clan: Uskoci
World: Arawn