Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Why is this game addictive?

I've been a player since Version 1, essentially a week after it's release. I've quit, time, and time again. However I always myself coming back to it, I've spent, and still spend, a lot of money on it, the support is alright, content release is borderline non-existant, and the graphics are not great, yet, so what is it that keeps me coming back to it?

At first I thought it was the social aspect, which lets be honest, is the greatest part of the game, however, even when I left my server and started fresh in a new one, I continued quitting, and coming back, that's with out a high level toon now like I once had in my original server, so the question remains, why do I keep coming back to this game?

I know I'm not the only one who's been through this same dilemma :lol: , so now I ask all of you, why do you keep coming back?
Server: Arawn
Player: Phyzem:216Rogue
Player: Krypto:187-Rogue
Clan: Unit
http://www.youtube.com/mrappbee

Re: Why is this game addictive?

why are you asking us why you play?
even so, from what ive read is that youre just a traveler, not a person who has dignity and wants to build something in one world atleast and settle down, join a clan or not make enemies, friends and compete with yourself to become better than your old self and maybe other people
☬⌦ Lv.184 Archer

why are you asking us why you play?
even so, from what ive read is that youre just a traveler, not a person who has dignity and wants to build something in one world atleast and settle down, join a clan or not make enemies, friends and compete with yourself to become better than your old self and maybe other people
When did I ask you why I played? Quote please

I did settle down for nearly two years until I wanted to start fresh, understand now?
Last edited by Morgana on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please do not insult other players
Server: Arawn
Player: Phyzem:216Rogue
Player: Krypto:187-Rogue
Clan: Unit
http://www.youtube.com/mrappbee

Here's my theory:
So, we all know the classic game-addiction model which restricts when dopamine can be released by limiting play-time, such as clash of clans with their ridiculously long wait times, how this works is when we experience joy, dopamine gets released between neurons, when we get too much dopamine, we need more dopamine to stimulate ourselves to the same way.

For example, let's take a can of soda:

You drink a can of soda every day for a year, the first quarter you really like it, but nearing the end of the year it just isn't the same anymore- this is because the dopamine receptors have closed a little, allowing less dopamine to flow through and make you feel good , you now need more stimulation to reach the same effect (2 cans of soda)

After the 2nd year, the 2 sodas also start becoming dull, so you start drinking 3... untill you get diabetes that is.

This applies to games aswell, have you ever wondered why you are stabbing low-graphic shadows while call of duty is collecting dust? Why ganes are only fun for a month at best? It's not thr game thats boring, it's you that have over-stimulated your dopamine receptors by bombarding them with dopamine day and night for weeks, while on games like candy crush have things i like to call "restrictors" things that restrict how long you can play, restricting how much dopamine you recieve.

However, why doean't this happen in celtic heroes? I can level all day long, everyday and i'm still here, why aren't my dopamine receptors so overstimulated i'm disgusted by yhe game?

The social side of the game.
In a similar way i will never get tired of my best friend, i won't get tired of my best in-game friend.
If you are on my world or see my sig often, you will know i've beem this level for about half a year, why? Because i have found i'm not a "level and boss" type of player (although, i do like that and will hopefully return to that soon.) I'm a social player, i love the community, the players on my world, and being a moderator (although i admit i'm the worst one, and have alot to learn from my more senior mods, i love what i do.)

Thanks OTM for a great game, and thank you, the players, for enhancing the greatness.
I am a Moderator Need any help? Private message me here or send me a mail in-game, Liviticus on every world.

Every time I have tried to quit, i begin to see my in-game name everywhere, Bills on the walls, in school, dreams, and even words that are similar will begin to shift to say Bills, like the game is calling me
A powerful enemy is shaking Ros. Running through the fleeing crowd....Bills.