Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

How NOT to get scammed

Hello,

Our well known scammer tried it on me yesterday but failed and here are my observations:

1) Watch out for player names with capital i and lowecase L, and also number 1, they can be faked and they look EXACTLY the same in chat window. Other possible problems can me caused by switching capital O with number 0.

2) This scammer WHISPERS to you from DIFFERENT AREA. The reason is that this way you cannot see his true character, get visual confirmation of the player's name and check and the player level. Also the color of whispered font is hardest to read so it masks any font differnces best.

3) The scammer uses low level "bank" he creates on the go (mostly right on Beach) to take your items promising the other account will pay you gold. Do not be such a fool to give items for a bunch of promises only. The "bank" will be most likely deleted right after the gold is transfered to the scammer's true account. Get paid first then give stuff if the player wants it on other account. Safest for both sides is always a direct trade with extra check of what you trade just before you confirm the trade.

4) If you are in doubt at 3) the scammer logs on other fake account with i or L in name to "confirm" that the previous account is "trusworthy". He tries to lure items from you for a promise of a payment right away from a "trustworthy" account. At this point the scammer is desperete because this is last chance to scam you. He might ask for only half stuff or a single item claiming "it is not such a risk for you" this way. Do not be fool to fall for his sweet talk.

5) If you are at least a bit careful and do not do suspicious trades you never could fall for a scam. The scammers are fakes and they act like fakes and they talk to create the smokes and mirrors but they wont show you their accounts because that would identify them right away. So if you request to actually MEET with the fake character which the scammer uses you will see how fast this cheat will back off.

BTW, at my case the scammer used faked names of Avlon and Callumallen. Fortunatelly the scammer was so stupid that he did not realize that the true Callumallen is my general and I saw his status at clan all the timethe scammer tried to persuade me how he is "trustworthy". Lolz, you see even scammers are not so smart.

Hope this will help.

Toycat
... Toycat the Druid of Ancients in world Lugh ...
:. .:. .:. .:. .:. Patience is a virtue :. .:. .:. .:. .:

Re: How NOT to get scammed

You know what scammers do? they reasearch on the worlds forums and any active forum person ingame they try and impersonate them.
I had the fake me calling Sabre 'granny' because on that one post on lughs forums i think we were having a convo and the scammer researched what i say and then took action in game. Clever move but if you read how to my other thread on 'Identifying scammers' all your answers are there.

It's pretty damn obvious hoe not to get scammed, yet so many people do. just remember these words:

DONT TRADE AWAY YOUR ITEMS TO ANYONE

Sick of the amount of people that get scammed when it is so avoidable.
Sir Chillrend of Herne
Level 107 warrior
Most loved and nicest player in Herne award 2010-2013 (1243 votes)
Best and fairest chieftain in Herne award 2010-2013 (1289 votes)
Was Chieftain of: Companions, NewCompanions, Pirates (original), Wingmen.

It's pretty damn obvious hoe not to get scammed, yet so many people do. just remember these words:

DONT TRADE AWAY YOUR ITEMS TO ANYONE

Sick of the amount of people that get scammed when it is so avoidable.
Well, some people have multiple accouts and a single device only so unless developers give an option to transfer stuff over your accounts directly some people will always have the need to transfer items through another person.

But...

If you read my post you know I described another form of scamming, not a transfer scam. Here the scammer tried to take stuff in advance promising to pay it from another "trustworthy" account he impersonates as Sammie described in his post.

I agree, that if all people are careful there will be probably no or very little scamming. But obviously they are not and furthermore most players are naive kiddos who are careless and get persuaded quite easily.

I have already posted a few tips to minimize scamming to in-game support. But there probably always be scammers and there always be people falling for a "stupid" scamming tricks as they are in real life.

So this all is not about removing all scammers (an impossible job) but to minimize the damage done. If a sane person read this he gets a few helpful tips how the scammers work so he could be more careful in the specific areas instead of being totally xenofobic about all transfers.

Toy
... Toycat the Druid of Ancients in world Lugh ...
:. .:. .:. .:. .:. Patience is a virtue :. .:. .:. .:. .:

I will not have much sympathy anymore for those of you who are getting scammed by this joker. You have been well warned. I still see people accepting xfer offers too easily.

Someone has done their research well, they are choosing smart and know our clan (i suspect a member). Tell them to contact you in clan chat - that should help find the scammers.

Don't give your items for xfer except to a trusted person - preferably one you know in real life. double check the name, level and class. Someone can fake callumallen's name, but not his 150+ levels!

So, in short, stop being stupid. Stop loaning expensive or unique items (or get collateral). Stop trying to prove how 'generous' you by loaning stuff. Be smart. You are in ancients, so don't act like a noob.
Civility, Integrity, and the Hermeneutic of Generosity

World: Lugh
Akbar: Ranger 220+
DrXyn-Druid 180+
Xyn: Mage 170+
Rabka: Rogue 150+
Rabak: Warrior 90+
Clan: Chieftain of Ancients

You know what scammers do? they reasearch on the worlds forums and any active forum person ingame they try and impersonate them.
I had the fake me calling Sabre 'granny' because on that one post on lughs forums i think we were having a convo and the scammer researched what i say and then took action in game. Clever move but if you read how to my other thread on 'Identifying scammers' all your answers are there.
You are correct Sam.
My forum name is Kingball and Someone made an account called Kingbank and said they were me
Until we meet again...

Stefball - Level 156 - Warrior - Lugh
Vigorous - Level 57 - Rogue - Crom

Proud member of Ancients and General of Phoenix

░▄▄▄▄
▀▀▄██►
▀▀███►
░▀███►░█►
▒▄████▀▀