Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Gear swapping on Ranger

#1
So...I have been considering something recently quite a bit. Gear switching is something most do since it helps maximize the use of your skills. However, I was wondering if it was worth it for the rangers. Rangers are the most auto-oriented class in the game as far as I know and gear switching seems to bring up a slight conflict. Let's focus on the rings for a second. Let's assume you have 4 runic rings (using them for example since they are most common), is it worth taking one of those out so that you can gear switch? There would be a lot of auto dps and attack, but would it make it up with the opportunity to use more skills?
The only rings that are slightly an exception to this are prot rings since the have either dex or str, but the attack aspect is still lost. 400 attack may not be that significant but you can scale it up to oblivion and bt rings for discussion
Image


Vini, Vidi, Vici (I came, I saw, I conquered) - Julius Caesar
An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, and evil for evil - Rei Ogami

Re: Gear swapping on Ranger

#2
You don't take one of them out permanently. You generally choose your weakest ring as the swap out one. Let's say your weakest ring is a runic and you want to use a royal gele sharpshot ring. Have your runic on, swap to sharp shot, then swap back to runic until it is time to use a skill and repeat.
Kindredd Main Ranger level 224
Naharis Rogue 200
Clan Havoc

Re: Gear swapping on Ranger

#3
Kindredd wrote:You don't take one of them out permanently. You generally choose your weakest ring as the swap out one. Let's say your weakest ring is a runic and you want to use a royal gele sharpshot ring. Have your runic on, swap to sharp shot, then swap back to runic until it is time to use a skill and repeat.

But if you actually decide to gear swap, then that would mean that the runic would only be active for like 1 or 2 autos. With swapping, it is assumed you get enough gear to max double, sharp, longshot, and possibly barbered. By the time you cast all of those, one of the skills would nearly be up again and there would be no point switching to that runic again
Image


Vini, Vidi, Vici (I came, I saw, I conquered) - Julius Caesar
An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, and evil for evil - Rei Ogami

Re: Gear swapping on Ranger

#4
flame1striker wrote:
Kindredd wrote:You don't take one of them out permanently. You generally choose your weakest ring as the swap out one. Let's say your weakest ring is a runic and you want to use a royal gele sharpshot ring. Have your runic on, swap to sharp shot, then swap back to runic until it is time to use a skill and repeat.

But if you actually decide to gear swap, then that would mean that the runic would only be active for like 1 or 2 autos. With swapping, it is assumed you get enough gear to max double, sharp, longshot, and possibly barbered. By the time you cast all of those, one of the skills would nearly be up again and there would be no point switching to that runic again


Welcome to the decision between a skill or auto build lol.

It seems like what you are talking about isn’t specifically related to hotswapping itself, but is more about the decision between auto damage or skill damage. Yes, if you use more skills you will lose out on auto damage - the idea is that the skill damage more than makes up for any lost auto damage. If you have a problem with losing out on auto attacks by using double, sharp, longshot, and barbed shot...then simply don’t use all those skills. Just because hotswapping gear is an option doesn’t mean you have to use it.


I think Kindredd’s reply is the most common use case. You have a boost ring for one or maybe two of your skills on your hotbar, switch to them just before casting the skill, then switch back.
Have questions about anything? PM me!
Alternatively, you can occasionally find me online in Sulis.
Go team #WorldSkillsUSA2019!
Harbinger of cold hard logic and reason.
Check out the player-run Celtic Heroes Database!: celticheroesdb.com!

Re: Gear swapping on Ranger

#5
But you only equip it when casting the skill.
This is like asking whether or not it is worth casting any skills instead of autoing, the only difference here is you're boosting your skills and auto with the specific gear by hotswapping it.
Herne - LazyDrunks

Rogue 222
Warrior 221
Ranger 220
Mage 220
Warrior 201

Re: Gear swapping on Ranger

#6
flame1striker wrote:So...I have been considering something recently quite a bit. Gear switching is something most do since it helps maximize the use of your skills. However, I was wondering if it was worth it for the rangers. Rangers are the most auto-oriented class in the game as far as I know and gear switching seems to bring up a slight conflict. Let's focus on the rings for a second. Let's assume you have 4 runic rings (using them for example since they are most common), is it worth taking one of those out so that you can gear switch? There would be a lot of auto dps and attack, but would it make it up with the opportunity to use more skills?
The only rings that are slightly an exception to this are prot rings since the have either dex or str, but the attack aspect is still lost. 400 attack may not be that significant but you can scale it up to oblivion and bt rings for discussion

Yeh i have same problem. Not of the same rings but lower level once but same problem never the less
Please, if interested or needing a valuation on any item, just pm me or join band and search for me. We also post on the most up to date forum posts.

Re: Gear swapping on Ranger

#7
Swapping is a cery important aspect of maximising your dps. A dps ranger should always have a 50/50 sharpshot longshot and steady aim. The only way to do so is by swapping. The other skills imo are either optional or dont need to be at 50 and hence dont have to have a swap to cast.

I may be mistaken but from reading posts it sounds as though you swap to a ring, cast all of your skills and then swap back to your original ring. The way that swaps should take place is that you swap to your skill ring/ammy/charm then cast the skill then swap to the next skill gear if it is ready. Otherwise you return to your normal gear until the next skill is ready
Arawn
Ventius - level 227 ranger of dawn
Epona
Ventius - level 222 noob ranger of Enigma
Belenus
Ventius - level 163 druid

RIP badabing

Your newest blue name who has dreams to one day be purple

Re: Gear swapping on Ranger

#8
My take on this may be different from other rangers because I am still lixing (208) and am not solely built towards raids but, I find that (for example) on a heroic haste in 210 room, using DL quiver bc chaos mobs, I outdps nearly everyone (including rogues and warriors) specifically when I have steady and sharpen. What I'm saying is that I don't think hotswapping is as important on a ranger (at least auto ranger) as it is for rogues for example. I would say choose 1-2 (maybe 3) skills that you find yourself consistently using (for me thats sharpen and steady) and swap for casting those, dont however waste time swapping for every single skill as the animation time will kill your damage.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests