Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Celtic Heroes Classic

I remember the chest attempt of bringing back old items in the retail version of a Celtic heroes, and it was a disaster.

It made me think a lot, because ever since then I always had this thought of a possible Celtic heroes classic reboot, dating all the way back to maybe 2011 close to 2012 and re- release all the old expansions up until tower.

All the old events, bring back all the old chest, old fashion, items, mounts, date back to the old graphics for those who can’t current play the newest version.

I truly think this would be wonderful, and great boost to the game again.

This wouldn’t affect the current version of the game, because it could be completely separate.
HERNE AKA THE NEVER-ENDING WAR SERVER.
TOONS: KILP 220
ACTIVE

Re: Celtic Heroes Classic

Ugh, I had such a great reply when this was in petitions, now that's completely gone :(

Essentially what my original post was going to say was:

I get where you are coming from, nostalgia is strong. However, there are just so many issues with this suggestion that I'd never be able to list them all.

I'd guess that the biggest issue is that the old graphics you are thinking of were with a completely different engine, and it may not even be possible for VR to utilize that. That's not even counting the 3+ years it would take VR to redesign and rebuild the past 5 years of content for another game, which would only serve to take players away from the existing servers, cause more hassle for support and the developers, and overall make people even more unhappy with VR.

It's a nice idea, but would be impossible, and players would not be happy with the final product. I think your first sentence best describes how this process would go - it would just be a disaster.
Have questions about anything? PM me!
Alternatively, you can rarely find me online in Sulis.
Go team #WorldSkillsUSA2019!
Harbinger of cold hard logic and reason.
Check out the player-run Celtic Heroes Database!: celticheroesdb.com!

a game cant live off of nostalgia alone
OSRS. Released all the original content in patches, and added on content after the initial patch runs its course.
My original reply also included something along the lines of:

It works for Jagex because they have 337 employees (according to Wikipedia). Virtual Realms has around 20.

Jagex has enough manpower to be able to manage 2 or more games at once, VR does not.

Another difference is that RuneScape has a slightly larger playerbase than CH....more interest in an old version of the game.

I really feel this post!! I remember how simple yet extremely fun the game was!! I even prefer how items looked back than and how cool the characters were and the fashion!! ahhh so simple!! Like I remember how cloud mounts looked so good! If I genuinely ever win a lottery I am hitting up VR to get that original version of Celtic Heroes !

a game cant live off of nostalgia alone
OSRS. Released all the original content in patches, and added on content after the initial patch runs its course.
My original reply also included something along the lines of:

It works for Jagex because they have 337 employees (according to Wikipedia). Virtual Realms has around 20.

Jagex has enough manpower to be able to manage 2 or more games at once, VR does not.

Another difference is that RuneScape has a slightly larger playerbase than CH....more interest in an old version of the game.
Fair point. But I still think if more was involved, this be a success. Finding the old graphic and optimization to a reformation process does take time, however, it is still entirely possible and something that can be looked forward in the future.

Because right now, there are no current event that makes me want to log on everyday, no good chest, aleast to me, and no good event bosses, like it used to be.
HERNE AKA THE NEVER-ENDING WAR SERVER.
TOONS: KILP 220
ACTIVE

There would be like 80 people who would that server/game and after about 12 hours it would be dead.

People tend to view the past with rose colored glasses even though the game itself is clearly better now than it was before. The nostalgia will be great for the first few hours until you realize that nothing else is the same. The raids/events are no longer new to you. More importantly most (if not all) of those friends you started the game with will no longer be there.

It would probably make a cool event every few years though,

A portal to the past has opened in Farcrag Castle. When you go in you’re transported to the old boxy version on the castle. When you leave it’s an old version of Lirs and Stonevale and the furthest you can go is OW (no tower).

Once you enter the portal you can only go to old areas, no leying to CG or Arcane unless you go back through the portal to the “present time” first.

They’d probably stop you from bringing anything yo loot in the past back to the future though. But it might work for those who want a stroll down memory lane.
Michael Artisan - Warrior, Blake Artisan - Rogue, Ren Artisan - Ranger, Gabriel Artisan - Mage, Yaray (until VR let's me add Artisan to the name) - Druid

Guardian Deity of Danu

Buying White Lanrik Pants on Danu!!!!

Fair point. But I still think if more was involved, this be a success. Finding the old graphic and optimization to a reformation process does take time, however, it is still entirely possible and something that can be looked forward in the future.

Because right now, there are no current event that makes me want to log on everyday, no good chest, aleast to me, and no good event bosses, like it used to be.
I'm not completely sure that it is possible to go back to the old graphics. Like I mentioned in my first reply, the old graphics were from when the game was on a different engine - and I'm not sure if VR is even able to spin that engine up again, let alone run 5 years worth of updates to make it work on relatively new devices (let alone top of the line devices like iPhone X).

Really, the only way I can feasibly see this working out is if VR was able to just put the old version of the game (how it was in 2014, to prevent having to redesign and rebuild half the game), with no seasonal events, no future content updates, and only a few servers. However, even with this bare bones scenario, there are still several issues that would crop up.
- Support is used to working with issues on the current game build and engine - I'm not sure how much more complicated it would be to run support for the old engine as well.
- More servers means more requests onto the already overworked Support team.
- Players might be confused about two versions of the same game (because they still look extremely similar). They might pick the old version by mistake, then get frustrated that it only has half (or less than half) the content as the original game, plus worse graphics (without the nostalgia visor), and come complaining in droves wanting characters moved to the full game.

Another big reason why OSRS works is because the content and gameplay is still quite different between OSRS and modern day RS, it's not just the graphics. With CH, the content has mostly stayed the same. Sure, there have been buffs and nerfs over the years, but if you look at the gameplay from 2013 and the gameplay from now, it's still pretty much the same.

Really, it's only a small handful of old timers that care about the old graphics - new people coming to the game (which should be VR's primary focus) don't care about what the game looked like half a decade ago. It's because of this reason that I think a Celtic Heroes Classic would be a complete bust.

I agree that the seasonal events were a great part of the game, and definitely kept people interested in the game over the years that the events ran. However, I think that trading off the seasonal events for permanent content was the right choice for OTM. If not for that decision, it's very likely that we wouldn't have all the extra content we do now - auction house, fishing, cooking, gelebron's tower, the gardens, mounts, pets, dino, etc. Sure, some of them would have gotten released eventually, but not all.

It's a trade off, either permanent content or seasonal content. You can of course have both, but they'd both only have 50% the effort put into them - so they'd either take twice as long, or take a shorter time but be half as big or well done.