Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: Question to admins about Beta

Actually VR do not aim to include an open beta, they plan to make the update live once closed beta and bugs have been fixed
Hmm, I don't recall seeing an admin post that.
Regardless, if they aren't currently planning on doing an open beta, then it means that the closed beta has been successful enough to make an open beta simply a waste of time. If so, that's awesome - it means that VR picked their testers well, and we also get the update at least 1-2 weeks earlier than if there were an open beta.

In response to your other post:
I would agree that players who aren't very active on the normal forums could very likely be active in the beta. However, that's not really the point.
The point is that VR handpicked the small group, and the only way they know the players is via in-game (secretly, and less likely) or through the forums. If you don't use the forums, VR isn't likely to pick you because they don't know anything about you. It's not the best process, I agree, but it's the only way for VR to target players with the qualities they are looking for.
Have questions about anything? PM me!
Alternatively, you can rarely find me online in Sulis.
Go team #WorldSkillsUSA2019!
Harbinger of cold hard logic and reason.
Check out the player-run Celtic Heroes Database!: celticheroesdb.com!

Actually VR do not aim to include an open beta, they plan to make the update live once closed beta and bugs have been fixed
Regardless, if they aren't currently planning on doing an open beta, then it means that the closed beta has been successful enough to make an open beta simply a waste of time. If so, that's awesome - it means that VR picked their testers well, and we also get the update at least 1-2 weeks earlier than if there were an open beta.

I would agree that players who aren't very active on the normal forums could very likely be active in the beta. However, that's not really the point.
The point is that VR handpicked the small group, and the only way they know the players is via in-game (secretly, and less likely) or through the forums. If you don't use the forums, VR isn't likely to pick you because they don't know anything about you. It's not the best process, I agree, but it's the only way for VR to target players with the qualities they are looking for.
Understandable but surely they can look back at past beta tests when it comes to the players putting in the work and effort, when it came to past betas the old mods such as muldar put me in those betas bc of what i contributed to the test, although I know VR knows nothing about that but its kind of unfair to just forget all those that did a good job in betas and go off who is active and rank they are on the forums instead no matter what theyre like in game. If VR wanted to make it more fair I dont see why they couldnt let people apply for a closed beta and make it an actual application where the player has to give 300+ worlds and descirbe why they want to be in the beta and the skills they will bring to the beta, along with taking in the players gear, skills and knowledge about bossing along with also accepting some of the lower tier players which could be some off the forums or in game to test lower tier things. I agree that VR may do things differently next time but all im trying to do is give ideas incase they do help at all.
Rogue - Mecki Level 226
Rogue - Creativity Level 210
Warrior - Private Level 215
Ranger - Level 180+
Worlds - Mabon, Epona and rhiannon

Understandable but surely they can look back at past beta tests when it comes to the players putting in the work and effort, when it came to past betas the old mods such as muldar put me in those betas bc of what i contributed to the test, although I know VR knows nothing about that but its kind of unfair to just forget all those that did a good job in betas and go off who is active and rank they are on the forums instead no matter what theyre like in game. If VR wanted to make it more fair I dont see why they couldnt let people apply for a closed beta and make it an actual application where the player has to give 300+ worlds and descirbe why they want to be in the beta and the skills they will bring to the beta, along with taking in the players gear, skills and knowledge about bossing along with also accepting some of the lower tier players which could be some off the forums or in game to test lower tier things. I agree that VR may do things differently next time but all im trying to do is give ideas incase they do help at all.
Top tier gear does not make someone a good beta tester. If anything if everyone goes in full godly it’s awful for the tests because it is no where near what a live server environment is like.
Why I went in with dl offhand and no Gele rings on my mage rather than borrow gear (new server new toon, rip my DPS).

And they asked for nominations within a closed group to find people who the community said worked well in past tests. This beta was meant to be small for reasons as difinitus said so they didn’t take everyone that was recommended but only those of playstyles and classes they needed.
We have a lot of dps rogues in beta and even though your good you just didn’t make the lottery among all the other rogues who were great testers as well like toothpick etc. the other thing is they want to balance out how many come from each server or I’m sure so no one server dominates beta.

I do agree an application would have been nice, but at the end of the day beta is about communicating directly with the developers, and if you aren’t on the forums they don’t know who you are and you don’t know who they are. Forum rank and post number are meaningless, lots in beta have post counts below 200, but their post content is extremely specific and well done and that’s what I’m sure got them in, that and other community forum involvement such as pming developers.

Beta is a community event and at the end of the day participation in that community should be a prerequisite just for the fact that it cuts down on a lot of the background process because everyone knows each other, how they play, what their strengths and weaknesses are, and we can just jump right in.

Sorry you didn’t make the cut, but complaining about how you don’t have time to be active on the forums, on the forums isn’t helping the process...
Nor is saying that “you are the best rogue” over and over again.
Like I said, plenty are amazing at this game, and when the beta needs to be small for certain reasons some can’t get in and the developers need to pick some and toss others. Who they know and who t$37 have seen is a good way for them to make that decision.
Feel free to pm me about anything or talk to me in game :D
Bob The God
This Bob guy is a guide? Legitimately?
Former EG try hard who’s now relaxing midgame on crom.
Fire Mages are where its at

I think those are good ideas, but also keep in mind that they would require VR to comb through either thousands of past beta posts, or else hundreds of applications, when they may only be looking for 15-30 people. I do agree that those options would give a more rounded out team of testers, simply because the more time you spend on something, the better it turns out to be. Not to say anything negative about anyone who was invited to this closed beta, I'm sure most of them would probably be involved regardless of how the testers were chosen.

I'm just not sure that the difference would be enough to be worth the extra days it would take to sift through so much data, actually taking the time to read each one and make a decision. At some point, the time spent on something just isn't worth the minor (and maybe not even noticeable) increase from the existing arrangement.

Right now, VR are the only ones who know how successful the beta has been, players can criticize it as much as they want, but that won't change whether or not it works. If VR decides that the small focus group isn't a good idea for future betas, they probably won't do it again. On the other hand, if it does work really well, and VR is happy with the feedback quality and amount, then it may be the new testing method for future updates. VR will do what is best for them and the game, and that won't always line up with what players think is best.
Have questions about anything? PM me!
Alternatively, you can rarely find me online in Sulis.
Go team #WorldSkillsUSA2019!
Harbinger of cold hard logic and reason.
Check out the player-run Celtic Heroes Database!: celticheroesdb.com!

I think those are good ideas, but also keep in mind that they would require VR to comb through either thousands of past beta posts, or else hundreds of applications, when they may only be looking for 15-30 people. I do agree that those options would give a more rounded out team of testers, simply because the more time you spend on something, the better it turns out to be. Not to say anything negative about anyone who was invited to this closed beta, I'm sure most of them would probably be involved regardless of how the testers were chosen.

I'm just not sure that the difference would be enough to be worth the extra days it would take to sift through so much data, actually taking the time to read each one and make a decision. At some point, the time spent on something just isn't worth the minor (and maybe not even noticeable) increase from the existing arrangement.

Right now, VR are the only ones who know how successful the beta has been, players can criticize it as much as they want, but that won't change whether or not it works. If VR decides that the small focus group isn't a good idea for future betas, they probably won't do it again. On the other hand, if it does work really well, and VR is happy with the feedback quality and amount, then it may be the new testing method for future updates. VR will do what is best for them and the game, and that won't always line up with what players think is best.
Understandable and I guess thats were it can come into play. For the 15-30ppl beta tests they dont really need applications as for that number it would be a small ish test to either test out lower level content, challenges, bounties etc compared to the betas which need 80+ people for the end game bossing content, thats the only situation where I feel an application process should come into play imo. Also yes I wont be saying anything bad about the current beta testers as I dont know a lot of who is in there, just felt it was abit biased at the time, but it was something which was done behind the scenes which I have no knowledge about as it could have been beneficial.

I do get your 2nd message the difference could be minor or major in my eyes as there are a lot of great players in this game but also lazy players in the game, depending on which % gets chosen for the betas.
Rogue - Mecki Level 226
Ranger - Level 180+

Top tier gear does not make someone a good beta tester. If anything if everyone goes in full godly it’s awful for the tests because it is no where near what a live server environment is like.
Why I went in with dl offhand and no Gele rings on my mage rather than borrow gear (new server new toon, rip my DPS).

And they asked for nominations within a closed group to find people who the community said worked well in past tests. This beta was meant to be small for reasons as difinitus said so they didn’t take everyone that was recommended but only those of playstyles and classes they needed.
We have a lot of dps rogues in beta and even though your good you just didn’t make the lottery among all the other rogues who were great testers as well like toothpick etc. the other thing is they want to balance out how many come from each server or I’m sure so no one server dominates beta.

I do agree an application would have been nice, but at the end of the day beta is about communicating directly with the developers, and if you aren’t on the forums they don’t know who you are and you don’t know who they are. Forum rank and post number are meaningless, lots in beta have post counts below 200, but their post content is extremely specific and well done and that’s what I’m sure got them in, that and other community forum involvement such as pming developers.

Beta is a community event and at the end of the day participation in that community should be a prerequisite just for the fact that it cuts down on a lot of the background process because everyone knows each other, how they play, what their strengths and weaknesses are, and we can just jump right in.

Sorry you didn’t make the cut, but complaining about how you don’t have time to be active on the forums, on the forums isn’t helping the process...
Nor is saying that “you are the best rogue” over and over again.
Like I said, plenty are amazing at this game, and when the beta needs to be small for certain reasons some can’t get in and the developers need to pick some and toss others. Who they know and who t$37 have seen is a good way for them to make that decision.
Not exactly what I mean with regards to everyone being in end game gear, more along the lines of if the current boss is supposed to be harder than BT then itll be classed as end game and would prefer VR pick the players with good gear and be a decent level as I myself havent got any godlys and am working on gear atm but just mean to pair the players picked in consideration with future bosses lvl and difficulty which I am sure they will.

Also when it does come to those who were picked I know that I wouldnt have been included in the thought process due to juat coming back off a break and although there was ppl surprised on my server that I didnt get in I do understand it and have no issues with missing it, I was mainly just worried about the future betas based off what I knew for this current one and that I had been told that it was mainly those active on the forums such as mods and people that the devs knew well on line/forums.

When it comes to getting into beta I can agree communication is essential but with regards to pming devs from my experience I havent had mich success, Schwing does usually get back to me pretty quick but when messaging Diffinitus about my old account that I was trying to get back I didnt get any response so went to the email support instead, along with messaging about Beta too to get some information about how their thought process was at the time and their plan with it but only got a reply a week later, I can understand that they are busy though with trying to make the game better and come up with new ideas and when I get the chance I will try to contribute in that sense also with ideas that could possibly benefit the devs in their goal to making the game a better experience for its players.

Also commincation with other members on the forums and in game wouldnt be something that id have issues with as I know the likes of that nub toothpic as I have known him for years, same with both Levys from rosm and epona and plenty of other rogues as we have communicated in the past about content in the game and how us as rogues usually like to play. Which is something Id feel id have no issues with in beta tests.

Have to disagree with saying I am the best rogue, just that in the past I have put in the effort and come out on top on my server, by all means I am not the best on all servers and currently am not the best on my server, it is best to be confident in yourself as far as I see it and to want to be the best in the game to excel other players see it differently but its not given me any issues in making friends with clan members, ppl from other worlds etc. Also saying that im not active on the forums shouldnt affect anything as if the devs have done their research on recent beta test forum pages theyll see that I contribute and if they check general discussion tabs and feedback tabs theyll see that I also post there trying to give them ideas which could help. Just to add I havent complained about not having the time to post on the forums as I spend all my time playing the game. I have the time to post like I am now its whether I choose to or not, as you said theres ppl in beta who have less than 200 posts, like them I prefer to post when I feel that something either needs to be addressed or when I feel I can contribute to a post or topic.

I agree their are a lot of great players in this game and a lot that do deserve to be in beta who have missed out, my main goal of my posts is to give VR ideas for future betas such as the application process.
Rogue - Mecki Level 226
Ranger - Level 180+

agree their are a lot of great players in this game and a lot that do deserve to be in beta who have missed out, my main goal of my posts is to give VR ideas for future betas such as the application process
I think this meaning got lost in your posts, it came off more as a “I wish they had done more because I wanted to get in and the way it was done I couldn’t get in. And I want in because I need to know how the raid works before it’s released so my clan can kill it early, but that’s okay because people leaking videos to me anyways.”

But ya as Difinitus said, this is a small beta. Still for an EG boss but the group was made intentionally small for how they want us to test it. In this they want a balance of certain classes which means some good players get cut out on arbitrary guidelines. My guess is the easiest way for the devs and Dif is who does he know, and more importantly who does he know for sure will be productive by how they have behaved on the forums.
Is it perfect? No. Does it get the job done, yes. And I think as long as the beta is done well that’s what matters in the end, and from my perspective anyways it’s going great!
Bob The God

agree their are a lot of great players in this game and a lot that do deserve to be in beta who have missed out, my main goal of my posts is to give VR ideas for future betas such as the application process
I think this meaning got lost in your posts, it came off more as a “I wish they had done more because I wanted to get in and the way it was done I couldn’t get in. And I want in because I need to know how the raid works before it’s released so my clan can kill it early, but that’s okay because people leaking videos to me anyways.”

But ya as Difinitus said, this is a small beta. Still for an EG boss but the group was made intentionally small for how they want us to test it. In this they want a balance of certain classes which means some good players get cut out on arbitrary guidelines. My guess is the easiest way for the devs and Dif is who does he know, and more importantly who does he know for sure will be productive by how they have behaved on the forums.
Is it perfect? No. Does it get the job done, yes. And I think as long as the beta is done well that’s what matters in the end, and from my perspective anyways it’s going great!
Yeah, it wasnt my goal of making it sound that way and the sad thing with messages can be that things can come off the wrong wau compared to something saying it irl, but the way I did mean it was more of trying to give them ideas for future betas while some of my posts were a bit out of frustration a week or 2 ago due to feeling like the selection process was pretty biased but that was soley because I saw no post about a close beta happening so it just seemed a little unfair at the time. But I do understand more currently of why they did it. When it does come to bosses tho I mainly meant it as a message for VR that no matter who is in the betas information sadly will get leaked and i dont think thats something which will change sadly. But when I said about getting videos that was soley for learning what the boss does and how it moves/ if there is anything around it, I didnt mean to come off as a d**k by saying that but just wanted to get an idea as I said of how the boss moves and works so that I can get a headstart in making a stratergy to take towards it when the game goes live. Any information I do get stays with me to avoid spoiling it for other people. Also with that said my aim wasnt to get the information to be the first server to kill but mainly to give me information for when it comes to testing stages when its live.

What you said is understandable tbh, id just like to see the devs include some people who are more active on the game also but I do know that is difficult as they cant keep an eye on every player and what theyre doing. But ill be doing my best to make it known to them whether I join them on line or post more on the forums. I guess one of the other things is that I do know people who got into the beta also who are completely inactive on the forums but got in bc they knew the devs. Its not something im mad about or will think the devs are doing a bad job with but just something i wanted to bring up at the time to see if they would consider any different processes but i guess theyll see how this current beta goes first then go from there
Rogue - Mecki Level 226
Ranger - Level 180+

Yeah, it wasnt my goal of making it sound that way and the sad thing with messages can be that things can come off the wrong wau compared to something saying it irl, but the way I did mean it was more of trying to give them ideas for future betas while some of my posts were a bit out of frustration a week or 2 ago due to feeling like the selection process was pretty biased but that was soley because I saw no post about a close beta happening so it just seemed a little unfair at the time. But I do understand more currently of why they did it. When it does come to bosses tho I mainly meant it as a message for VR that no matter who is in the betas information sadly will get leaked and i dont think thats something which will change sadly. But when I said about getting videos that was soley for learning what the boss does and how it moves/ if there is anything around it, I didnt mean to come off as a d**k by saying that but just wanted to get an idea as I said of how the boss moves and works so that I can get a headstart in making a stratergy to take towards it when the game goes live. Any information I do get stays with me to avoid spoiling it for other people. Also with that said my aim wasnt to get the information to be the first server to kill but mainly to give me information for when it comes to testing stages when its live.

What you said is understandable tbh, id just like to see the devs include some people who are more active on the game also but I do know that is difficult as they cant keep an eye on every player and what theyre doing. But ill be doing my best to make it known to them whether I join them on line or post more on the forums. I guess one of the other things is that I do know people who got into the beta also who are completely inactive on the forums but got in bc they knew the devs. Its not something im mad about or will think the devs are doing a bad job with but just something i wanted to bring up at the time to see if they would consider any different processes but i guess theyll see how this current beta goes first then go from there
I can guarantee you everyone in beta is super active in game, well except Krumz ;)
At the end of the day VR had to make a cut for closed beta (as all closed betas have to be) and they went with who they knew would fill the roles (not just class roles) they needed for beta and that was that.
Beta going well and hopefully the content comes out sometime in the near future :)
Bob The God

If they can’t deal with those issues above they shouldn’t be in it anyways.
I completely disagree, there is no reason to subject them to those issues. Testers should never have to deal with those issues, so therefore they don't need to be able to deal with them.
The point of a beta is solely to test the content...not to deal with unnecessary and pointless issues. I literally cannot think of a single benefit of releasing player names or even just servers. All the scenarios I'm coming up with are negative and lead to more drama and people getting upset. If you have any valid reasons for wanting that information, please post them.

completely wrong thought process.
Please explain. I know I make mistakes, but I'm not gonna learn if I don't get told what they are :)
^^ completely agree with Eragon,(the books are still better than the trash movie) why should beta testers be subjected to persecution due to trying to make the game better? Why should they HAVE to deal with it or "not be worthy"? Man, most of us play this game to have fun and enjoy the community, it's not big secret that this community can be toxic at times, if we don't want to deal with that then we shouldn't be picked for a beta? That's kinda silly IMO, I don't agree with the way beta testers were picked (except bob the god) but heck man, have some faith, maybe they'll do an awesome flipping job and we'll get some sweet new content and you'll just be sitting there thinking about how you complained about the players who made something so great possible instead of thanking them.