Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Developer dropping in to say Hi.

Hi everyone. /wave

Long-time reader, new to posting. So I'll try to keep it short to start with. :geek:

I'm one of the programmers here at One Thumb Mobile and have been working here just shy of a year.

This time last year I was finishing my university course which was in computer games and technology. From the early years of High School (I must have been about 13-14) I knew I wanted to go into programming after trying out some Visual Basic and after how many hours I sank behind a computer screen and with a PlayStation controller in my hand, I had my sights set on working on games. I've grown up in games that are surrounded by Community and I am amazed that we're now at a point where this community is carried around in our pockets.

I feel really special to be involved in such a project and I hope to give you an insight into what I do. I want to make clear that this is strictly from a programmer point of view. My job isn't to balance classes, loot etc.

If you have any questions, I'd like to do an AMA (ask-me-anything) thread within the next week or so (if you're interested in this, please post and let me know or I may back away quietly from the keyboard and run like hell!).

Thanks for taking your time to read,
Ket. :D

Re: Developer dropping in to say Hi.

In all honesty, it frightens me how little I didn't know about coding before going into my course. I had done a handful of working buttons and input on screens with Visual Basic. I went on to do some HTML and web applications while I was still in school.

I headed off to University at the rip old age of 17 years old, so I wasn't expected to have an awful lot of prior knowledge. They taught us C++ from the beginning. And we branched out into languages we wanted to from there, including C# and Java for myself.

These days there's a lot of steps in between that allow for these 'creations' to be much easier. Game Maker (Linky over here) which I've personally worked with, and also in a group with kids aged between 12-15. It's amazing what a simple scripting language can do and it allows you to get into the nitty-gritty of the code if that's what you're interested in. :)

It was grasping the fundamental logic, that surrounds coding at a basic level, so quickly that told me it would be something I'd be good at :)

Re: Developer dropping in to say Hi.

In my free time, I'm normally playing League of Legends, have a few console games I need to get into, like last of us and god of war and I have just started Walking Dead Season 2 (game). I'm also watching 24/GoT/Grey's Anatomy/Breaking Bad (3rd season/new season/new season/just about to start 4th season) or can be found out and about on my purple motorbike :)

Annnnnd if I didn't pick coding as a career, I think I would have went into something to do with Geography of all things ! I just really enjoyed learning about weather systems and climates, I coulda been a weather woman! :geek: