Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: Wassup im new to the game looking for a good server.

Which server should i join? Im from the US (texas) so which server is the closest to my location? And most populated with good people. Dont really know much about the game so fill me in please
Welcome to Celtic Heroes!

None of the servers are location-based, so you don't have to worry about trying to find one with a better connection than another.
Population-wise, most servers tend to have a fairly good mix of players from across time zones, so there's usually a decent number of players online at any given time. Celtic Heroes tends to have a pretty great playerbase, though because some servers have more competition than others, there can occasionally be some hard feelings among more passionate players.

Epona is one of the bigger servers, because they are the only server to take a completely agreed upon random approach to dealing with boss loot. Most servers prefer some sort of point-based system, where attending bosses gets you points, which you can then buy and bid on gear with.

If you have any other questions about the games, the forums hold quite a bit of helpful info! We have a Hints, Tips and Guides section that is mostly accurate (https://www.celtic-heroes.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=169) despite being slightly outdated. If you have any further questions, feel free to post them here on the forums! We have plenty of players happy to help answer questions :)
Have questions about anything? PM me!
Alternatively, you can rarely find me online in Sulis.
Go team #WorldSkillsUSA2019!
Harbinger of cold hard logic and reason.
Check out the player-run Celtic Heroes Database!: celticheroesdb.com!

Which server should i join? Im from the US (texas) so which server is the closest to my location? And most populated with good people. Dont really know much about the game so fill me in please

None of the servers are location-based, so you don't have to worry about trying to find one with a better connection than another.
Population-wise, most servers tend to have a fairly good mix of players from across time zones, so there's usually a decent number of players online at any given time. Celtic Heroes tends to have a pretty great playerbase, though because some servers have more competition than others, there can occasionally be some hard feelings among more passionate players.

Epona is one of the bigger servers, because they are the only server to take a completely agreed upon random approach to dealing with boss loot. Most servers prefer some sort of point-based system, where attending bosses gets you points, which you can then buy and bid on gear with.

If you have any other questions about the games, the forums hold quite a bit of helpful info! We have a Hints, Tips and Guides section that is mostly accurate (https://www.celtic-heroes.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=169) despite being slightly outdated. If you have any further questions, feel free to post them here on the forums! We have plenty of players happy to help answer questions :)
I think im replying correctly? Idk. But thanks but wdym random boss loot n stuff? Isnt the loot random for each player? or is it first grab first serve?

(Edit grammar)

I think im replying correctly? Idk. But thanks but wdym random boss loot n stuff? Isnt the loot random for each player? or is it first grab first serve?

(Edit grammar)
Yup, you are replying right ;)

In Celtic Heroes, there is a grouping system that allows up to 8 players to group up together to share gold, experience, and a chance at drops whenever something is killed. However, there is no large-scale raid group mechanic that some other MMOs might have.
Because of that, let's say that 12 players gather together to defeat a large boss. Only 8 can be in a group at a time, which means that the other 4 players don't stand a chance at getting any of the drops.

There is a dice roll mechanic in the game that randomly generates a number between 1 and 100. In order to fairly distribute the drops among everyone who was at the fight, some servers will do a "roll for the drops", where everyone gets together right after the boss dies, everyone rolls once, and the highest number gets the drop (usually repeated a few times depending on how many drops there are).

Other servers, if the drop is really good, will collect the drop to a central clan bank, and allow players to request the item from the bank. Players who are at more bosses usually stand a better chance of getting the item.

(Edit grammar)
Yup, you are replying right ;)

In Celtic Heroes, there is a grouping system that allows up to 8 players to group up together to share gold, experience, and a chance at drops whenever something is killed. However, there is no large-scale raid group mechanic that some other MMOs might have.
Because of that, let's say that 12 players gather together to defeat a large boss. Only 8 can be in a group at a time, which means that the other 4 players don't stand a chance at getting any of the drops.

There is a dice roll mechanic in the game that randomly generates a number between 1 and 100. In order to fairly distribute the drops among everyone who was at the fight, some servers will do a "roll for the drops", where everyone gets together right after the boss dies, everyone rolls once, and the highest number gets the drop (usually repeated a few times depending on how many drops there are).

Other servers, if the drop is really good, will collect the drop to a central clan bank, and allow players to request the item from the bank. Players who are at more bosses usually stand a better chance of getting the item.
Ahh okay. I played warspear which has a mechanic like that. Basically if you werent in the party that had agro it wouldnt even count that you killed it or helped kill it.

But the drops were random for every player in a party sometimes people would get something most the time they wouldnt. How it worked was who ever got the drop kept it.

Ahh okay. I played warspear which has a mechanic like that. Basically if you werent in the party that had agro it wouldnt even count that you killed it or helped kill it.

But the drops were random for every player in a party sometimes people would get something most the time they wouldnt. How it worked was who ever got the drop kept it.
Yes, Celtic Heroes is along those lines as well. There is a lock mechanic, where the first group of players to do a certain amount of damage will "lock" the boss or mob, locking the rewards (any gold, exp, or drops) to that group only. If all the players in the group die at once, the lock is reset and another group has the chance to take the lock.
If you need to kill a boss or mob for a quest, you need to be in the group that locks the mob, otherwise you won't get the kill credit.

Note: the lock mechanic is not directly tied to the aggro mechanic. The general boss-killing process is to have 1 group with a tank and several healers that can hold the boss's aggro, and another group full of high damage players that can focus on dealing damage and getting the lock for the clan.

The drops are randomly distributed by the game in the group that kills the boss, yes. However, to be fair to all players involved, (because most bosses require more than 8 people to defeat them), different clans across the servers have their own ways of dealing with drops.

I believe that whenever a group of players (more than 8) kills a boss in Epona, they all get together and roll for whoever gets it. If there are less than 8 people at the fight (and they are all grouped together), then usually whoever gets it just keeps it, since it was randomly passed out anyways.

Other clans and servers might collect all boss loot at the end of the fight, then list them out in an external chat app or database for players to request based on participation and need.

Some clans and servers (like mine on Sulis) does a bit of a hybrid between the two, where weaker drops are rolled for, but the better drops need to be requested.

Yes, Celtic Heroes is along those lines as well. There is a lock mechanic, where the first group of players to do a certain amount of damage will "lock" the boss or mob, locking the rewards (any gold, exp, or drops) to that group only. If all the players in the group die at once, the lock is reset and another group has the chance to take the lock.
If you need to kill a boss or mob for a quest, you need to be in the group that locks the mob, otherwise you won't get the kill credit.

Note: the lock mechanic is not directly tied to the aggro mechanic. The general boss-killing process is to have 1 group with a tank and several healers that can hold the boss's aggro, and another group full of high damage players that can focus on dealing damage and getting the lock for the clan.

The drops are randomly distributed by the game in the group that kills the boss, yes. However, to be fair to all players involved, (because most bosses require more than 8 people to defeat them), different clans across the servers have their own ways of dealing with drops.

I believe that whenever a group of players (more than 8) kills a boss in Epona, they all get together and roll for whoever gets it. If there are less than 8 people at the fight (and they are all grouped together), then usually whoever gets it just keeps it, since it was randomly passed out anyways.

Other clans and servers might collect all boss loot at the end of the fight, then list them out in an external chat app or database for players to request based on participation and need.

Some clans and servers (like mine on Sulis) does a bit of a hybrid between the two, where weaker drops are rolled for, but the better drops need to be requested.

Ohhhhh okay i understand now yeah thats fair. People didnt do that on warspear cuz mainly it was the big guilds that did giant bosses (they were really greedy) aight well thanks, which server do you recommend for the best experience? Im an english speaker so if theres like a main english server thatd be nice

Ohhhhh okay i understand now yeah thats fair. People didnt do that on warspear cuz mainly it was the big guilds that did giant bosses (they were really greedy) aight well thanks, which server do you recommend for the best experience? Im an english speaker so if theres like a main english server thatd be nice
Like I said, generally CH's playerbase is pretty fair and easygoing. Because the playerbase is smaller, and the bosses require so many players, people are pretty much forced to work together if they want the really good stuff. If you are in the main lock group but don't turn in your drop...you won't find yourself invited to a boss raid again, let alone the lock group.

I really only have experience with my server, Sulis, but from what I know of the other servers - the majority (probably 90%) of the playerbase speaks english pretty well, and the rest tend to know enough to get by. Because players need to work together and coordinate so much, there are very few players who don't speak any english at all.

For the best experience...that kinda depends on what you are looking for.
Sulis is probably the server with the most competition at the endgame level, with two big clans that fight for bosses.
Epona probably has the most players of all the servers because they are the only server with their loot distribution system. However, a large playerbase comes with its own issues, such as more competition for leveling locations, more competition for buying gear from players, and more players who need class-specific drops for gear.

Those are really the two standout servers in my opinion, maybe over the next day or two some other players will chime in on this topic with praises for their own servers :lol:

Like I said, generally CH's playerbase is pretty fair and easygoing. Because the playerbase is smaller, and the bosses require so many players, people are pretty much forced to work together if they want the really good stuff. If you are in the main lock group but don't turn in your drop...you won't find yourself invited to a boss raid again, let alone the lock group.

I really only have experience with my server, Sulis, but from what I know of the other servers - the majority (probably 90%) of the playerbase speaks english pretty well, and the rest tend to know enough to get by. Because players need to work together and coordinate so much, there are very few players who don't speak any english at all.

Sulis is probably the server with the most competition at the endgame level, with two big clans that fight for bosses.
Epona probably has the most players of all the servers because they are the only server with their loot distribution system. However, a large playerbase comes with its own issues, such as more competition for leveling locations, more competition for buying gear from players, and more players who need class-specific drops for gear.

Those are really the two standout servers in my opinion, maybe over the next day or two some other players will chime in on this topic with praises for their own servers :lol:
Hmmm alright. Im thinkin epona. How ever wdym competition? Like boss stealing etc? Sorry if im askin too much stuff btw dont wanna annoy you lol

Hmmm alright. Im thinkin epona. How ever wdym competition? Like boss stealing etc? Sorry if im askin too much stuff btw dont wanna annoy you lol
Lol it's not a problem at all, I'm happy to answer questions!

I mentioned the lock system a few posts ago, where the first group to do a certain amount of damage to the boss gets the lock, and therefore the drops (if they don't all die). Competition between clans usually means that there are multiple clans fighting for that lock.
Let's say Clans A and B each have a full group of damage players, as well as each having a tank and healer (at a minimum). When the boss spawns, both damage groups start attacking as fast as they can. Whichever group gets the lock continues the fight, while the other clan usually backs out of range so that they don't help accidentally. Then just in case the first clan "wipes" and everyone dies at once, the boss usually resets (or at least the lock is lost), and the other clan can swoop in and try to get the lock a second time (hoping that some of their stronger players may have come online in the meantime).

Usually anything more aggressive than the initial lock fight is looked down on - using methods to try and force the boss to reset, or pulling in other mobs to make the fight harder, etc.

If a server has competition, it tends to be both a bit more exciting (and frustrating) than regular servers. In addition to the normal challenge of defeating the boss, you also have the chance that your clan's best people won't be available, and you will lose the fight (and therefore the drops) to the other clan. Some people really enjoy it, while others just put up with it.