Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Innate Threat

It would be a very useful thing to have, and as of now threat-increasing skills for a warrior are almost nonexistent. So, here are my musings.

Being able to hold aggro isn't something that you should just be given. Every class has to train in order to be effective, so why should warriors be any different?

At the same time, having a skill that gives you aggro is something that would take up space, and it wouldn't be something that you could spam. Right now, taunt costs next to nothing to cast, but it also has next to no effect on the threat level when you have a pure focus Mage that's outshining your last 20 hits with a single sweep of his wand.

My solution is this: Give a warrior the ability to gain more threat than pure damage points, simply by hitting the enemy. However, make this threat ability in correlation to the warrior's Melee ability. As they train in their melee ability, they become better at holding aggro. In addition, taunt should be completely reworked. Give it a higher energy cost. Make it a bit more taxing to cast, but let it reset everyone's threat levels to 0, and max out the warrior's threat level. That way, if somebody else takes aggro, the warrior can take it back. If this seems too powerful, perhaps raise the difficulty setting on taunt, so that there's a chance it may fail, and give the warrior extra incentive to train in melee and not rely solely on taunt.

Let me know how this sounds.

Re: Innate Threat

It would be a very useful thing to have, and as of now threat-increasing skills for a warrior are almost nonexistent. So, here are my musings.

Being able to hold aggro isn't something that you should just be given. Every class has to train in order to be effective, so why should warriors be any different?

At the same time, having a skill that gives you aggro is something that would take up space, and it wouldn't be something that you could spam. Right now, taunt costs next to nothing to cast, but it also has next to no effect on the threat level when you have a pure focus Mage that's outshining your last 20 hits with a single sweep of his wand.

My solution is this: Give a warrior the ability to gain more threat than pure damage points, simply by hitting the enemy. However, make this threat ability in correlation to the warrior's Melee ability. As they train in their melee ability, they become better at holding aggro. In addition, taunt should be completely reworked. Give it a higher energy cost. Make it a bit more taxing to cast, but let it reset everyone's threat levels to 0, and max out the warrior's threat level. That way, if somebody else takes aggro, the warrior can take it back. If this seems too powerful, perhaps raise the difficulty setting on
taunt, so that there's a chance it may fail, and give the warrior extra incentive to train in melee and not rely solely on taunt.

Let me know how this sounds.
Don't level with a Mage? Tell him not to KS/to use melee/no skills etc.
Lv52

Agree fully but to make taunt energy expansive i dont know :L
maybey the same amount of energy but longer cooldown?
Right now, taunt doesn't even go up in energy cost with every upgrade. Maxed, it costs 8 energy, if I remember correctly (I just returned from a weekend trip), so if it is revamped the way I described, it would be overpowered. A cost increase would be in order, especially if its main purpose (gaining threat) is taken over by the innate threat.
Don't level with a Mage? Tell him not to KS/to use melee/no skills etc.
What would be the point of a mage having powerful skills if they couldn't use them? Of course, a good damage dealer should know how to space attacks, but if damage dealers are limited by the damage that a less powerful ally can do, then there is not much point in having them. If that was how the game was intended, then there would only be Druids and warriors.

Well what happens if you run out of energy i for one know warriors cannot invest on focus, raising the energy costs will be a waste of energy for warriors when there tanking, if they can hold aggro well then i dont mind but i for one know that a mage can easily pull of a warrior with ease, you may taunt over and over again but to what? you will eventualy run out of energy, a longer cooldown maybey would be better maybey 10 seconds? more maybey
and if it is raised maybey by not much
World Gwydion
Char: Rev
Class Warrior

Me=Legend....DARY

Well what happens if you run out of energy i for one know warriors cannot invest on focus, raising the energy costs will be a waste of energy for warriors when there tanking, if they can hold aggro well then i dont mind but i for one know that a mage can easily pull of a warrior with ease, you may taunt over and over again but to what? you will eventualy run out of energy, a longer cooldown maybey would be better maybey 10 seconds? more maybey
and if it is raised maybey by not much
Keep in mind, the main focus of my idea is to give the warrior increased threat simply by doing damage. For example, scoring a hit on the enemy for 16 damage points will guve you 16 threat points. If a Mage does an attack for 20 damage points, that attack overshadows your hit, and the net change is 4 threat points toward the Mage. However, my idea would give the warrior, say, 50% extra threat. So, that same 16 damage attack would give the warrior 24 threat points, while the Mage still gets 20 threat points. The net threat level there would be 4 points toward the warrior.

Taunt effectively adds to the warrior's threat level, but it's a one-time deal. Having an attack that raises your threat level like this works in a different mmo that I play, and the attack is called flesh ream. However, it automatically Gives the tank the highest threat level. The amount of threat it guves is not infinite, it simply draws the enemy's attention to you, so if you don't keep spamming it, you will lose aggro to the higher-hitting allies.

That spamming can't be done on this game, because there is almost no way to get energy while you're in combat. Since the mechanics of this game is different from the one I mentioned, the innate threat would be better suited to how CH works.

My suggestion would make taunt more of an emergency brake. If the warrior loses aggro and he can't get it back in a hit or two, taunt would work to get the warrior back in control.

I see what ya mean and i agree totaly with it, and i guess it can work with CH gameplay, but it will have to be tweeked a couple of times in order to get it fully correct ya know mate?
World Gwydion
Char: Rev
Class Warrior

Me=Legend....DARY

With skill costs the way they are for warriors, some sort of passive aggro is exactly what the warrior class needs. Perhaps it can be related to a warriors armor + attack score? Otherwise 2 handed weapon users would become the main tanks.
New to the game? Find your answers here: Tips for Beginners

“A man only becomes wise when he begins to calculate the approximate depth of his ignorance.” -Gian Carlo Menotti

With skill costs the way they are for warriors, some sort of passive aggro is exactly what the warrior class needs. Perhaps it can be related to a warriors armor + attack score? Otherwise 2 handed weapon users would become the main tanks.
I did not even think of that. Some sort of balancing feature would have to be included, especially since a shielded warrior is a better build for a tank to begin with.

I'm just throwing ideas out of the top of my head here, but what if shields contributed to the threat levels? If you think about it, some hulking figure with a massive shield is quite the intimidating opponent.

I did not even think of that. Some sort of balancing feature would have to be included, especially since a shielded warrior is a better build for a tank to begin with.

I'm just throwing ideas out of the top of my head here, but what if shields contributed to the threat levels? If you think about it, some hulking figure with a massive shield is quite the intimidating opponent.
I agree, but at the same time, higher level warriors should be able to out tank low level ones, so that's why I was thinking it should all inclusive of armor score as well as attack score. Shields add quite a bit of armor, so if my logic is correct then that would mean a lot more aggro holding without changing much at all. Protective Stance also increases armor, so that would in effect increase threat as well. Taunt could then easily become the "emergency break" as you suggested.
New to the game? Find your answers here: Tips for Beginners

“A man only becomes wise when he begins to calculate the approximate depth of his ignorance.” -Gian Carlo Menotti