Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Help needed! Cosplay project!

Hey everyone! Me and my girlfriend are headed to our first comic con a few months from now as asuna and kirito from sword art online. I need help from all you carpentry masters in creating my swords for my costume!
I know this has little to do with celtic heroes and i apologize for that, however i do need help and have little places to turn to, and i figured creating swords had a little something to do with the game.
Anyway, i already have the prints for the swords, heres a link to them: http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/ ... 5m93jx.png
My plan so far is: Use planks of 1cm thick poplar wood. Sketch the blade onto the wood and cut it out using a jig saw. File down the wood on the edges to give it the blade look. Use fiberglass (idk, heard its good for this pupose) or sandpaper to make the blade smooth. Use super or gorilla glue to attach the 'L' shaped pieces (they go right above the hilt). Then i would spraypaint the whole thing black, and then paint the edges silver.

A few of the question i had:
Is 1cm poplar wood a good piece to use for a project like this?
How can i paint the edges silver without screwing up the black paint on the rest of the blade, would masking tape work?
Any tips on how to make this easier/ less expensive for me?
I am very novice in this art and honestly have no clue what i am doing, so if i sound like an idiot to some of you, sorry! :P
But i do need help on this fun little project, and ill be sure to post the finishing results! Thanks!
Gwydion - Xei - Warrior - 215
Taranis - Iridescence - Rogue - 225

Just want to make the game better.

Re: Help needed! Cosplay project!

I love Sword Art Online! I'd be glad to help-

Yes what you have is correct although I'd go with 1 and 3/4 inch

I suggest lining the edges with tape when you spray paint black, remove tape, then once it dries, tape over the black to do silver.
★ℚʊɛɛɳ øƒ Ғɑṩɧɪøɳ
iOS Player since 2011
Name: Killerado
World: Morrigan
I'm a Forums Guide, if you need help feel free to PM me
Rainbow Color
ケルトの戦士 (Keruto no senshi, Celtic Warriors)
Esquilax is the best!

I suggest lining the edges with tape when you spray paint black, remove tape, then once it dries, tape over the black to do silver.
Awesome! and as far as filing the edges go, should i just use some sort of filing tool for that? could i find one at home depot or lowes or whatever?

Awesome! and as far as filing the edges go, should i just use some sort of filing tool for that? could i find one at home depot or lowes or whatever?
Home Depot would be my first stop.
★ℚʊɛɛɳ øƒ Ғɑṩɧɪøɳ
iOS Player since 2011
Name: Killerado
World: Morrigan
I'm a Forums Guide, if you need help feel free to PM me
Rainbow Color
ケルトの戦士 (Keruto no senshi, Celtic Warriors)
Esquilax is the best!

Use sandpaper with an inexpensive rubber sanding block (about 2-3$) for smoothing and filing the wood. For highly curved areas just hold the sandpaper with your hand. You can buy the cheapest sandpaper, usually garnet, in several levels from coarse (80) to fine (220) in a single pack and it works fine on soft wood. Using a rough file works too, but you will need the sanding block to smooth out the marks. The cheapest power tool that will do this quickly is a belt sander (for fast flat area removal) or a vibrational hand sander (for smoothing out marks and more curved areas) if you can borrow or use one that speeds things up a lot. If you have a bench vise / clamps with soft jaws or some heavy cardboard over it to hold your work it will help a lot but you don't absolutely need it.

Id use a heavy coating of polyurethane gel you can wipe on with a rag (using rubber gloves) or disposable foam brush after sanding the wood to give it a shinier, smoother look. It may take more than one coat and you may have to sand with fine sandpaper. But if your lucky and use good technique it may be fine with a single coat no sanding. You can also use fiberglass resin for this (polyester). You may finish with the black and silver paint as mentioned.

Gorilla glue works great dont use too much (it expands a lot) and keep it clamped with proper c clamps or weight on it as it will help it join much better. You may choose to use some filler material to go in any cracks after cutting away any excess glue before adding the urethane/polyester resin.

You can even wrap leather around the handle or use sport grip tape that has the right look.

Also it pays to try your skills on a few test pieces first.

Make sure you don't get toxic stuff on your hands, hair, eyeballs, pets, or your iPhone. Work in an area where the overspray and drippings don't ruin anything else and make sure there is plenty of fresh air.

Make sure you know the rules of the event you are going too many require that it be 'peacebound' or ziptied/strapped into a scabbord or to your person. This may influence your design.
Member of Aeon - Taranis - 24 boxer
220+ toons
Ravenleaf druid - Silverstring ranger
Stormsong warrior - Nwerb Mage - Eventide Rogue

Toon histogram:
Level_____|200+|150-199|100-149|50-99|20-49|1-19|
# of toons|_5__|___16___|____3___|__11__|__21_|407|

i agree with everyone else, but for tips search SAO cosplay online for like a guide line. or just pull up kirito and asuna in the manga/anime.
which arc are you cosplaying from? The original im guessing?
Yeah original, in total gonna try and make the asuna rapier, dark repulsor and elucidator, while my gf handles both of the knights of the blood oath costumes. thinking about just buying lots of white red and grey fabric for that

Comic Con? Wasn't that in the summer in San Diego?
It's gone mainstream. There are now comic cons all over at all times.
Member of Aeon - Taranis - 24 boxer
220+ toons
Ravenleaf druid - Silverstring ranger
Stormsong warrior - Nwerb Mage - Eventide Rogue

Toon histogram:
Level_____|200+|150-199|100-149|50-99|20-49|1-19|
# of toons|_5__|___16___|____3___|__11__|__21_|407|