Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: A discussion about religion

I think one of the biggest problems with humanity in general is denial of objective reality. The belief that facts are only true if you accept them and that reality is just what you believe it to be are serious mental trappings, taught to be ok from an early age, that cause many many problems.

What's the harm in believing mythical, non-factual things? It inevitably leads to improper conclusions and therefore decisions that you would never make if you only knew what was real. From vaccine, climate change, and holocaust denial right up through religion - it inevitably runs headlong into objective reality that rarely fares well for the intellectually dishonest and causes mass suffering that could have been easily avoided. It is an opiate that numbs the mental senses necessary to avoid the damage the opiate is taken to soothe in a seemingly never ending spiral.

In a universe so obviously dominated by mathematically based natural laws i truly feel sorry for those unable to grasp objective reality. Its sad for them, sad for me that i have to live in a reality with thier own mistakes they can't grasp.
100% agree

I think one of the biggest problems with humanity in general is denial of objective reality. The belief that facts are only true if you accept them and that reality is just what you believe it to be are serious mental trappings, taught to be ok from an early age, that cause many many problems.

What's the harm in believing mythical, non-factual things? It inevitably leads to improper conclusions and therefore decisions that you would never make if you only knew what was real. From vaccine, climate change, and holocaust denial right up through religion - it inevitably runs headlong into objective reality that rarely fares well for the intellectually dishonest and causes mass suffering that could have been easily avoided. It is an opiate that numbs the mental senses necessary to avoid the damage the opiate is taken to soothe in a seemingly never ending spiral.

In a universe so obviously dominated by mathematically based natural laws i truly feel sorry for those unable to grasp objective reality. Its sad for them, sad for me that i have to live in a reality with thier own mistakes they can't grasp.
100% agree

You 100% agree with what? The fact that there isn't really a POINT here? The fence riding dance he's doing? The word smithing that has absolutely no substance what-so-ever to it? What are you agreeing to? People should believe in math? Thats like saying I believe in science. Neither require any belief.
maulz - warrior - level 195 - belenus - iPhone 7

I'm saying that each person experiences what they believe to be true. Each person needs to determine for themselves what is real. There is overwhelming evidence that this entire reality is based on nothing but mathematical laws and through scientific principles we have made a lot of progress. Objective reality exists and does not require any belief or even the existence of humans. Sadly rational thought is about as well evolved as our lower spines.

The problem is many do not know how to think properly. Most people are taught from a young age that everything is subjective and not to question anything. That reality can be compartmentalized and never reconciled as a whole. This reality denial is overwhelming and many have never even thought through the repercussions.

Let's take religion for example. Forget the fact there is zero evidence of supernatural events for now. We all live in one specific reality. This means that even among say Christians who can be right? Lutherans? Eastern Orthodox? Evangelicals? Realistically the best case is 99.9999% of religion can't be true. Each person typically makes up thier own mind as to what's real and silently humors the people they know are wrong when in fact they have never made a rigorous mental effort to justify anything logically. Never mind that if a god was real what a human wants a god to be would never figure in with what was real - to decide how you want god to be and then believe is extremely arrogant and triply so with no evidence. The religious beliefs people hold are an accident of thier births. You know why you don't believe in Zeus (pm if you actually DO believe in him) or any of the other mythological gods so have the intellectual honesty to go one god more for the sake of everyone.

I feel sad for people that cannot grasp what is real. They mess up thier own lives and the lives of others without ever knowing why. They will sit at thier electronic device and fiercely defend thier own unfounded viewpoint using the World Wide Web and unbelievable technology as the theater without realizing the irony of denying rational scientific principles.
Member of Aeon - Taranis - 24 boxer
220+ toons
Ravenleaf druid - Silverstring ranger
Stormsong warrior - Nwerb Mage - Eventide Rogue

Toon histogram:
Level_____|200+|150-199|100-149|50-99|20-49|1-19|
# of toons|_5__|___16___|____3___|__11__|__21_|407|

I'm saying that each person experiences what they believe to be true. Each person needs to determine for themselves what is real. There is overwhelming evidence that this entire reality is based on nothing but mathematical laws and through scientific principles we have made a lot of progress. Objective reality exists and does not require any belief or even the existence of humans. Sadly rational thought is about as well evolved as our lower spines.

The problem is many do not know how to think properly. Most people are taught from a young age that everything is subjective and not to question anything. That reality can be compartmentalized and never reconciled as a whole. This reality denial is overwhelming and many have never even thought through the repercussions.

Let's take religion for example. Forget the fact there is zero evidence of supernatural events for now. We all live in one specific reality. This means that even among say Christians who can be right? Lutherans? Eastern Orthodox? Evangelicals? Realistically the best case is 99.9999% of religion can't be true. Each person typically makes up thier own mind as to what's real and silently humors the people they know are wrong when in fact they have never made a rigorous mental effort to justify anything logically. Never mind that if a god was real what a human wants a god to be would never figure in with what was real - to decide how you want god to be and then believe is extremely arrogant and triply so with no evidence. The religious beliefs people hold are an accident of thier births. You know why you don't believe in Zeus (pm if you actually DO believe in him) or any of the other mythological gods so have the intellectual honesty to go one god more for the sake of everyone.

I feel sad for people that cannot grasp what is real. They mess up thier own lives and the lives of others without ever knowing why. They will sit at thier electronic device and fiercely defend thier own unfounded viewpoint using the World Wide Web and unbelievable technology as the theater without realizing the irony of denying rational scientific principles.

I gotta say I think this whole thing is just BS word smithing babble and poor word smithing at that. I truly don't mean any offense (really) but I've been part of this thread for a long while now and have debated with and spoken too some really we'll minded, thoughtful people. But this is drivel.

You should learn the difference between subjective and objective first and foremost and for you to say what is real and what isn't (especially in the above context) is nothing short of pure arrogance and short sightedness.

"Each person needs to determine for themselves what is real". You know that's subjective thinking right???

"Most people are taught from a young age that everything is subjective and not to question anything". No it's just the opposite. Most people are taught "this is the way to think". Thats objective. As we grow we become subjective thinkers more and more.

Now I personally believe that reality (aka truth) is purely objective. You can read my many posts to determine why as I will not start the whole debate over again.

Regarding Christianity. ALL of us have a common belief in the father, son and Holy Spirit. That Jesus was god and that he died for us. Their disagreements involve the mechanics of all of that but the base belief is common. It is the same. That makes it 99% true because the most important aspect is shared. The rest (as Albert once said) are details.

Sorry you feel that way. Don't know why you seem so mad - I'm confident enough through logical examination of 'belief' that it is just disheartening when people simply chose to not understand.

Many Christians do not believe in the trinity - simply look up nontrinitarianism. You may think that Christianity is real - all Christians from catholic to mormans amount to 31.5% of the world. So you are in a minority option - without any facts to back extraordinary claims.

Just a word of advice if you would chose to listen - try setting aside your emotions and look logically at the situation. Forming a rational conclusion that closely approximates objective reality is basically the hardest thing anyone can do. But it has many benefits and you will be much better off in your life with a world view consistent with reality.
Last edited by Plus3 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
220+ toons

Toon histogram:

Sorry you feel that way. Don't know why you seem so mad - I'm confident enough through logical examination of 'belief' that it is just disheartening when people simply chose to not understand.

Just a word of advice if you would chose to listen - try setting aside your emotions and look logically at the situation. Since you haven't changed over the period of this topic then I can only conclude logic won't change your mind when logic never had a role in placing it in a state of blind belief to begin with.
My belief is not blind. It is filled with reason and if you bothered to ready my many posts you would have seen it.

Just a word of advice if you would chose to listen - try setting aside your emotions and look logically at the situation. Since you haven't changed over the period of this topic then I can only conclude logic won't change your mind when logic never had a role in placing it in a state of blind belief to begin with.
My belief is not blind. It is filled with reason and if you bothered to ready my many posts you would have seen it.
I did read them. You are a 31.5% minority Christian. 68.5% of the world does not give any value to your Christian beliefs. Please treat religion using the same scientific principles that allow you to post over the internet.
220+ toons

Toon histogram:

Plus3 you are saying a lot of words without actually saying anything.

Above I gave an example of how someone could come to the perfectly logical conclusion that a god created the universe, you seem to be talking as if the belief in a god is pitiable, but you have not actually said much of anything with your posts, so it is hard to determine. If you really want to help people, or for that matter, are going to bother making posts in the first place, you need to be more clear with what your point actually is.

If you do not believe in a god, that is your choice. If you don't want to believe what the Christians on this thread believe, that is your choice. If you are going to say that believing in a god is illogical, you need to counter the logic I used in my previous post.

If you are going to say anything at all, say something, so far you have basically said nothing.

I did read them. You are a 31.5% minority Christian. 68.5% of the world does not give any value to your Christian beliefs. Please treat religion using the same scientific principles that allow you to post over the internet.

To do this would be as foolish as this post. Belief is not a matter for science. This is where we've reached your limits. Now break through them.