Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: A discussion about religion

(Please do not hate on me. I use "I" a lot in this writing, please do not confuse this with being self conceited, try to relate to this post. Feedback is appreciated.)

I was raised in an "Old Time Pentecostal" family. I was raised to believe in Christ, and tongues, and impression of the Holy Spirit, and all the things rejected by the world today. These are said to be proof of the Spirit in us.

But growing up in this world, I'm gonna be honest, I am just a scared and confused child. What is happening to us? When did the matters of life start to change my personal beliefs? Was it when I lost my right to fight for my beliefs?
When did Math and Sciences suddenly become a looming cloud in our daily lives? Who needs to know about minuscule actions and things that you cannot even see? Who needs Pythagorean Theorem, when I can whip out a tape measure? And yet these are the matters that consume most of our lives as young people.
When did it become important to learn these things? When did it become who I can be through this or who I need to be rather than who I am? If anyone can explain to me who is ruling my life please tell, because I feel like I am dying inside and there is nothing I can do to fix it. Because if I acted out Id be screwed over. That is what holds me back. I can't do anything because of a risk, because I actually think and care for myself. Is that the world would keep revolving, leaving little old me behind? Is it selfishness or laziness or being scared. I do not even know...
Honestly these are normal feelings and IMO the right type of thinking. I can assure you that your intellectual freedom is greater today than ever before even though it may feel like you are being smothered. You need to decide what your beliefs are for yourself and should fight for them if necessary. I just hope you can use facts, logic, science and common sense reasoning to help you form them it's highly likely this mix will provide you the best results.

Math and science seem unimportant but on the price is right I see people guess 400 usd for unlimited phone data contracts and a new smartphone when the price is about 2300 usd. Without math skills it's easy to purchase 2300 thinking you are spending 400. When you buy a home or car understanding the finnsncing is extremely important if you want to not be screwed. You won't probably use it a lot but the few times you do it can be really helpful. Not understanding what vaccienes are is a horrible thing. My wife's father is permenantly disabled from polio - we are so disease free with science that many Americans I know forget that the death and crippling diseases deal out is even real.

Using science as a tool to help you decide what to do or to do what you would like is great. Science is understanding the natural world so that you may control it and make its outcome in your own interest instead of blindly stumbling into the future. There is no other tool that even holds a match to science and rationality.

Edit: given what you have said about your upbringing you probably shouldn't be too vocal about your beliefs to your family or church if you feel that they will not be understanding. It's sad but this kind of prejudice is common. If you have any close friends or family that is understanding then take advantage of it. When I was young I did not understand the depths of peoples religious insanity and intolerance and it cost me many hard lessons before I even realized why things were happening. If you are truly on your own there are secular groups of people that can help. Do not give up hope.
Member of Aeon - Taranis - 24 boxer
220+ toons
Ravenleaf druid - Silverstring ranger
Stormsong warrior - Nwerb Mage - Eventide Rogue

Toon histogram:
Level_____|200+|150-199|100-149|50-99|20-49|1-19|
# of toons|_5__|___16___|____3___|__11__|__21_|407|

(Please do not hate on me. I use "I" a lot in this writing, please do not confuse this with being self conceited, try to relate to this post. Feedback is appreciated.)

I was raised in an "Old Time Pentecostal" family. I was raised to believe in Christ, and tongues, and impression of the Holy Spirit, and all the things rejected by the world today. These are said to be proof of the Spirit in us.

But growing up in this world, I'm gonna be honest, I am just a scared and confused child. What is happening to us? When did the matters of life start to change my personal beliefs? Was it when I lost my right to fight for my beliefs?
When did Math and Sciences suddenly become a looming cloud in our daily lives? Who needs to know about minuscule actions and things that you cannot even see? Who needs Pythagorean Theorem, when I can whip out a tape measure? And yet these are the matters that consume most of our lives as young people.
When did it become important to learn these things? When did it become who I can be through this or who I need to be rather than who I am? If anyone can explain to me who is ruling my life please tell, because I feel like I am dying inside and there is nothing I can do to fix it. Because if I acted out Id be screwed over. That is what holds me back. I can't do anything because of a risk, because I actually think and care for myself. Is that the world would keep revolving, leaving little old me behind? Is it selfishness or laziness or being scared. I do not even know...
Honestly these are normal feelings and IMO the right type of thinking. I can assure you that your intellectual freedom is greater today than ever before even though it may feel like you are being smothered. You need to decide what your beliefs are for yourself and should fight for them if necessary. I just hope you can use facts, logic, science and common sense reasoning to help you form them it's highly likely this mix will provide you the best results.

Math and science seem unimportant but on the price is right I see people guess 400 usd for unlimited phone data contracts and a new smartphone when the price is about 2300 usd. Without math skills it's easy to purchase 2300 thinking you are spending 400. When you buy a home or car understanding the finnsncing is extremely important if you want to not be screwed. You won't probably use it a lot but the few times you do it can be really helpful. Not understanding what vaccienes are is a horrible thing. My wife's father is permenantly disabled from polio - we are so disease free with science that many Americans I know forget that the death and crippling diseases deal out is even real.

Using science as a tool to help you decide what to do or to do what you would like is great. Science is understanding the natural world so that you may control it and make its outcome in your own interest instead of blindly stumbling into the future. There is no other tool that even holds a match to science and rationality.

Edit: given what you have said about your upbringing you probably shouldn't be too vocal about your beliefs to your family or church if you feel that they will not be understanding. It's sad but this kind of prejudice is common. If you have any close friends or family that is understanding then take advantage of it. When I was young I did not understand the depths of peoples religious insanity and intolerance and it cost me many hard lessons before I even realized why things were happening. If you are truly on your own there are secular groups of people that can help. Do not give up hope.
It is odd though, how I feel so attached to this belief system even though I am so lost in the depths of my own mind. It keeps me from going completely overboard, and I want to embrace it because of that. It is like I know what is right but cannot experience it because of myself and I am blaming the world. That is how my religious side would put it. And I was raised to reject medicine and was taught that Christ was the only way. I've been raised without any use of medication and nothing bad has ever happened so I do not know...
~ TehGuyGaming ~

Main Lvl 125 Warrior TehGuy
~ Belenus ~ Clansman of Sylph ~

It is odd though, how I feel so attached to this belief system even though I am so lost in the depths of my own mind. It keeps me from going completely overboard, and I want to embrace it because of that. It is like I know what is right but cannot experience it because of myself and I am blaming the world. That is how my religious side would put it. And I was raised to reject medicine and was taught that Christ was the only way. I've been raised without any use of medication and nothing bad has ever happened so I do not know...
Being lost in the depth of ones own mind is what we all experience - it is the human condition. Using objective reasoning, science and facts to determine what is real and accepting reality is about the hardest thing a person can do. It may seem comforting to try to shield yourself from the truth but running from reality seldom works out well in the end. Learning what is real is very important so you can help influence events to make the best outcome possible happen. If you are not able to grasp what is real with your conscious mind then you will likely make bad choices for yourself, as well as your family and friends.

Understanding the science of medicne is very important for your health. The science behind it saves hundreds of millions each year and is the reason we are living double the length on average over just 200 years ago. Sounds like your young but as you age it becomes more and more important to make the medical choices that will benefit you the most.

Does god heal amputees? Science can reattach limbs as long as there hasn't been too much cellular damage.

Do people go to a hospital when critically injured or just pray? I can tell you that people that don't help themselves to medical care would just die. When it comes to medicne, when you feel your life is on the line and are scared, 99.99% will get modern medical care. There have been many studies on prayer and none give any positive results beyond a placebo. The evidence of the power of medical technology is simply overwhelming.

Don't stop trying to understand the world. Try to understand it to the best of your ability. It is in your own best interests and those of your loved ones to do so.
220+ toons

Toon histogram:

?
Probably the natural human desire for self improvement. People want to know more, and the answer that all things of life and the universe being down to one omni-present being seems both too simple and irrational.
“Brevity is the soul of wit.”

The goverment rule your life, they do things you wouldn't imagine, people talk about the "illuminati" making decisions about your life, to find the people making decisions about our life, you have to look no further than the medicene industry, selling there fake cures, all a placebo effect to try and make themselfs a quick buck.

The goverment rule your life, they do things you wouldn't imagine, people talk about the "illuminati" making decisions about your life, to find the people making decisions about our life, you have to look no further than the medicene industry, selling there fake cures, all a placebo effect to try and make themselfs a quick buck.
Yes. Vaccines, cancer treatments, antibiotics, aids cocktail, etc are all deceitful ploys to get you to buy snake oil cures. Why in biblical times people lived 800-1000 years or more - it's right in the bible. It's sad that the world is so disease and ailment ridden as opposed to magical and perfect ancient times.

While there are obvious problems with capatialistic medicine companies anyone who thinks medical science and medicine as a whole is BS is horribly uneducated, a liar or should be committed for being insane.
220+ toons

Toon histogram:

I see no passage in the Bible that tells one to reject medicine. The world tries its best to make Christianity a religion, but they are absolutely missing the point. In fact, some will miss it completely so that being Saved is not a requirement, but instead good deeds will ensure your life in Heaven. False prophets will even tell you that prosperity is the right way and that if you give your money will come back in a multiplied amount. God tells you to be generous and give away your services freely, but says not to expect a reward, because it will not always come. Those prophets are usually multi-millionaires and have mega church's so that they can rake in even more income over time. It is absolutely sickening. Come just as you are: rich or poor; good or bad; gay or straight. I am not politically correct an I say this things, because all that He, Jesus, wants is you. That is why He came to this earth, that is why He chose the hard life, that is why He died on the cross for our sins - so that we could be with him one day and eternally once we're there.
x*Warrior Tank*x
x*Arawn*x
x*BadaBing*x

Critical thinking greatly intrigues me.

False prophets will even tell you that prosperity is the right way and that if you give your money will come back in a multiplied amount. God tells you to be generous and give away your services freely, but says not to expect a reward, because it will not always come. Those prophets are usually multi-millionaires and have mega church's so that they can rake in even more income over time. It is absolutely sickening.
This reminds me of my favorite George Carlin quote:
"Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!
But He loves you.
He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good *** story. Holy unfathomable! "
-- George Carlin Politically Incorrect, May 29, 1997

There is probably no passage in the bible to reject medicine because it didn't exist in its current form then.

Just as Jesus had olive colored skin and curly black hair like pretty much everyone else in that region and indeed all descriptons peg him as an average man. Jesus didn't even speak English or have blue eyes white skin and curly light brown hair like Europeans. It's pretty much a certainty Jesus resembled an Arabic person and not a European. Every time I see a non Arab Christian who is racist I laugh quite a bit.

If we only had the DNA RNA and other data from his actual remains science is to the point where we could clone him. Human cloning isn't in the bible either - maybe this was how Jesus was planning his return. Ahh the tremendous good and bad that the powers of science possesses.
220+ toons

Toon histogram:

False prophets will even tell you that prosperity is the right way and that if you give your money will come back in a multiplied amount. God tells you to be generous and give away your services freely, but says not to expect a reward, because it will not always come. Those prophets are usually multi-millionaires and have mega church's so that they can rake in even more income over time. It is absolutely sickening.
This reminds me of my favorite George Carlin quote:
"Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!
But He loves you.
He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good ******* story. Holy ****! "
-- George Carlin Politically Incorrect, May 29, 1997

There is probably no passage in the bible to reject medicine because it didn't exist in its current form then.

Just as Jesus had olive colored skin and curly black hair like pretty much everyone else in that region and indeed all descriptons peg him as an average man. Jesus didn't even speak English or have blue eyes white skin and curly brown hair like Europeans. It's pretty much a certainty Jesus resembled an Arabic person and not a European.

If we only had the DNA RNA and other data from his actual remains science is to the point where we could clone him. Ahh the tremendous good and bad that the powers of science possesses.
You assume he's invisible, first of all, when actually in the Bible, Moses saw God.

You do not go to Hell if you disobey commandments. The devil will take you to Hell if you are not saved. God hates to see that, but we all have a choice.

The way many people depict Jesus is a white man with blue eyes and long hair, but in the Bible it describes his skin tone as
bronze.

What many people don't get is - Jesus was a man. He was physically the same as any human being, but he was perfect. God sent His son to profess His Word.

I do not believe you can clone a living man from one's remains.
x*Warrior Tank*x
x*Arawn*x
x*BadaBing*x

Critical thinking greatly intrigues me.