I personally run:

Fire lure
Fire bolt
Fire storm
Fire attunement
Cloak of fire
Lure of assassins
Lure of magic

Since we rarely get lock fights, I stopped running full DPS build (full focus with incinerate as well), so now I use cloak for our tanks during boss fights/raid bosses and lures just help everything die a lot quicker.
A mage at heart... Fire mage that is.
Currently actively playing the game.

Re: Best mage build?

What i normally do is invest in focus and vit make it 3foc 2 vit per ratio,
invest in an fire mage with alot of fire attutenments rings,
when you start to get around lvl 180 ask clan for mordis and hrgunir items based misc rings and bracs,
For offhand use focus of seer, dont recommend shield of any kind, terrible dps.
For skills use alot of fire based skills, fire att. storm, etc stuff like that
Trust me i beeen through it all before i made my warrior, but ,age is where i feel at home :DDDDDD let me know if u got any more question
Also invest in dark grims too, 130s ansd 150, never 110
HERNE AKA THE NEVER-ENDING WAR SERVER.
TOONS: KILP 220
ACTIVE

Re: Best mage build?

What i normally do is invest in focus and vit make it 3foc 2 vit per ratio,
invest in an fire mage with alot of fire attutenments rings,
when you start to get around lvl 180 ask clan for mordis and hrgunir items based misc rings and bracs,
For offhand use focus of seer, dont recommend shield of any kind, terrible dps.
For skills use alot of fire based skills, fire att. storm, etc stuff like that
Trust me i beeen through it all before i made my warrior, but ,age is where i feel at home :DDDDDD let me know if u got any more question
Also invest in dark grims too, 130s ansd 150, never 110
a shield is used to compensate for the little armor that mages have. along with the added vitality you can add more points to focus and less in vitality. its preference, but i prefer leveling with a shield. when im bossing i use the focus offhand. you can achieve good dps with either offhand. a 3:2 build is your standard build but i go more focus and only enough health to keep me alive.

you mention using fire attunement rings, however, firebolt and fire storm skill rings would be much more beneficial at lower levels. attune, bolt, and storm all should be maxed, but bolt and storm should be maxed to 50 before attune. the increase from each skill point in bolt and storm is greater than that of attune. also, the 110 grimoires are good. if you cant get a grimoire, some of the wands that give fire magic can be used.

lastly, since when is there a 198 mage in lugh named spacebound??