Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: mages on update 3

Hi there, so far we are looking at skills like:

Area effect damage (all enemies near the target will also get damaged)
Large single energy attack (burn energy in exchange for damage)
Sacrifice health for energy (can gift energy to others with this also)
Lure of magic

and some other stuff - if there's anything in particular you want let me know.

How about giving ice shards a chance to freeze the target. I realize that this idea isn't new, but ice magic needs to be more useful then it is now. Mages have great difficulty killing fire people (from Catacombs) because shards are so slow to recharge and wand hits so low. So basically, if you don't one-hit pwm them, you are dead. That makes mages, who are supposed to be great DPSers, the only (!) class unable to kill them.

A little off topic, but lvling mage abilities is a PAIN. I play all classes, and none have such difficulties. I mean I always have skill ability and weapon ability maxed by the time I lvl. With mages I end up spending 20 minutes after each lvl just casting so I have fire/ice maxed by the time I lvl again.
Selene (Mage) 134 | Xellaya (Druid) 110
Clan: Uskoci
World: Arawn

I like the idea in general but i still have some questions.

- Cloak of Fire does dmg per tick, would the target unfreeze if i have cloak on?
- does the freezing spell add some dmg per tick?
- how long is reload and duration? I can see boss fights going like "dmg - freeze - heal".

I like that you could use shards, freeze enemy, use shards again. Thatd be pretty cool.

What do you think of a cloak spell that does low cold dmg (lower then cloak of fire) and maybe slows down their attacks?

Just a couple of points of clarification Xell...

- Cloak of Fire does not do damage per tick. It only does damage when the mob hits you, so if the mob is frozen it will not hit you, thus cloak could not break the freeze.

- The freeze spell could not have a damage per tick associated with it, or it would break itself.

This has my interest, but I am not entirely on board yet. Not sure I have room to change my spell line up to include this, and changing out spells constantly is just a pain.

I prefer the original idea of adding a stun component to Ice Shards.
World: Belenus
Mage: Aengus 224 (retired)
Warrior: ???? 56

Just a couple of points of clarification Xell...

- Cloak of Fire does not do damage per tick. It only does damage when the mob hits you, so if the mob is frozen it will not hit you, thus cloak could not break the freeze.

- The freeze spell could not have a damage per tick associated with it, or it would break itself.

This has my interest, but I am not entirely on board yet. Not sure I have room to change my spell line up to include this, and changing out spells constantly is just a pain.

I prefer the original idea of adding a stun component to Ice Shards.
Its always good to post when brain isnt semi afk heheh. :D thx for editing my post. :p

How about a spell that does damage over time like barbshot, rend, and vines? Of coarse don't make it too weak...

If you are adding a freeze spell, make it so it lasts a minimum of 10 seconds, adding time as the skill increases. Make it so that FIRE DAMAGE cancels it.

As for health to energy transfer, i already have an idea for it's use. A mage using energy shield with backup mages that posess health sigils, casting that spell on the tank.
SirBlaze333 - 220+ Warrior
(Returning Player)

Hi there, so far we are looking at skills like:

Area effect damage (all enemies near the target will also get damaged)
Large single energy attack (burn energy in exchange for damage)
Sacrifice health for energy (can gift energy to others with this also)
Lure of magic

and some other stuff - if there's anything in particular you want let me know.
the way i see it mages are one of the slowest class and i think that cloak should hit higher and there should be a taunt spell so that if ur getting ksed use taunt spell to make cloak do good dps.
Android beta testing name : Alexx
name:ksKGR
class:Rogue
lvl:186
server:Sulis

"The early Celts savored the dark side of life. They embraced war like a lover, plunging into battle naked, singing gloriously boatsful songs. They were fearless in the face of death, which their belief in reincarnation taught them was "... but the center of a long life." It was not uncommon for a man to lend money and agree on repayment in a future lifetime. Their day began at dusk; the new year at Samhain, the festival we know as Halloween. Darkness was associated with new beginnings, the potential of the seed below the ground.

In Celtic mythology and folk-lore, the wisdom of darkness is often expressed by powerful goddess figures.... Their role is to catalyze change through the transformative power of darkness, to lead through death into new life."

-Mara Freeman from the "Queen of Air and Darkness"
http://www.chalicecentre.net

I think she has an interesting take on celtic myth. The game itself uses leystones and that allows heroes to "reincarnate." This magic is something interesting i think mages and druids could both exploit. Where druids use nature magic (light), they would also have a set of skills for the dark. Mages use fire and ice, but could tap into the mysterious void. Currently, the forces are just benign but the magic casters can tap into these forces.
Mages get a netherworld mist that works like a trap on the ground beause the monster takes damage while its in the cloud. Another spell can beckon the target to the otherworld by a sort of black dot exploding around the target then imploding.
Druid: They can tap into the restorative forces of vitality and debuff health, and also debuff armor value. Also a spell that stops regenation. Maybe a set of lures for physical damage types.
Last edited by Marshill on Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.