Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Mage in update

I have found Mage to be very frustrating to play in this update.

Fire skills have been totally nerfed for the worse... Even against the least defense enemies I do more than half as little damage as I once did. And fire bolt is slower?! Wtf. There seems to be no reason to enjoy Mage now. Rogues and warriors and rangers all deal much more dps and high attack skills than us... Which defies the Mage ideal of most powerful caster.

And lure makes no sense at all!

A skill that is supposed to "lure" an enemy so you can kill it, should NOT be going off so close to an enemy that you are in their agro circle anyways!! Maybe lure is easier to use with high dex... But by very definition of the word lure it doesn't work. I say this because all npcs over lv45 have wider agro spheres than the lure skills... :/

And energy shield? Why are enemy skills going through energy shield?

Mage used to be fun, now it is just frustrating...

Re: Mage in update

I have also noticed how difficult playing a mage is now. I agree that the range on lure of fire should be much further than fire bolt itself. With the massive health boost of the enemies, it looks like vitality/armor mages are still the only way to level efficiently, which in my opinion is the exact opposite of how a mage is supposed to play.

Here is my suggestion for the fix: Increase Lure ranges so that they are greater than fire bolt/ice shards. Have a set cost for CASTING energy shield-rather than cost of absorbing each hit, and give it increasing amount of absorption based on ice skills ability and level, so that it is like every other skill out there. ex: 350 hp mage with 400 energy, 290 ice ability, level 12 energy shield- costs 40 energy to cast, absorbs 120 damage-but no energy loss upon hit. Same mage with level 15 energy shield and 350 ice ability, costs 55 energy to cast, absorbs 200 damage. Long cast time is fine, and same with long recharge. This would make it so mages can actually take a few hits without ruining their spell pool or without wearing the same armor as the tank.

I would also love to see 2 new skills added: 1 fast casting medium damage ice spell, and 1 long casting, high damage fire spell.
Ex: Ice bolt is the same as fire bolt, but for ice, and Meteor, the same as Ice Shards but for fire. This would balance out the 2 elements a bit better.

This would give both classes a 3 to 4 hit knock out combo, with enough of a shield to absorb the damage they are receiving in the mean time.
Ice Mages: Cast Energy Shield, either Lure of Ice or Ice Shards, then the opposite of the second cast, then ice bolt it down.
Fire Mages: Cloak of Fire, Energy Shield (which will probably be much weaker), either Meteor or lure of fire, then the opposite cast, then fire bolt it down.
New to the game? Find your answers here: Tips for Beginners

“A man only becomes wise when he begins to calculate the approximate depth of his ignorance.” -Gian Carlo Menotti

Hey thanks for letting me know, will have a look over this and see what we can do.

Thanks!
Thank you for being open to suggestions. Out of my whole post, the most important things (for me) were the range of the lures and a change in how energy shield works. Anything else is just a bonus.

“A man only becomes wise when he begins to calculate the approximate depth of his ignorance.” -Gian Carlo Menotti

I agree with just about everything above. It seems that the mage is now fully a support class, after update 2. However, for example, while I am in a group and fighting a usual MOB with say a Rogue. By the time I have cast, and succeeded at a lure, then launched a Fire Bolt/Ice Shards, the Rogue has already drained 3/4 of the MOB’s Hp’s with the Rogue’s high DPS. It is frustrating that I am barely contributing to kills, and I am feeling inadequate now. Not just a personal problem lol.
So, please fix the lures’ ranges, fix the damage on both Fire Bolt and Ice Shards. Fragile Mages need a powerful nuke, or two, to compensate for lack of strong armor.
Tog
Togarth Lvl 150 Mage World Sulis General of Clan Retribution 3rd Place in Marshall's Crystal Armor Event (ChuckNorris)

From a diff thread in the Mage class forums:
Hi there

Just to let you know what has changed, we haven't made any changes to lures, the only thing that changed was we fixed a bug for enemies where their resist could go below 0 which caused all sorts of funny damage numbers to happen (like the 32000 damage from a cloak of fire on one mob)

However we realise that mages are having some troubles so we are reducing the cold/heat resists on some enemies especially the bosses and the fire/ice enemies so you should find things better after a patch early next week and the lures will have much more visible effect on these mobs.

Thanks!
I'm sorry admin, but I honestly believe this is a shortcut answer that will just cause more problems later. I appreciate that you are willing to look into this but lures DO need some changing! Enemies being weaker to fire/ice will definitely help, but it won't matter too much as we still won't really be able to use lures unless we are in a group or unless we want to lose 1/2 our health while trying to get off a second fire bolt... As it stands now, mage is by far the weakest class in the game- no armor, no amazing resists (dex will only get you so far), and now our only asset (massive damage spell power) has been nerfed.

Edit: just wanted to add this one tid bit- mages are supposed to be glass cannons- MASSIVE damage output measured against little in defense. Right now we are glass bb guns-little damage output that we have to "wind up to" and very little defense. :(
Last edited by XLegion on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

From a diff thread in the Mage class forums:
Hi there

Just to let you know what has changed, we haven't made any changes to lures, the only thing that changed was we fixed a bug for enemies where their resist could go below 0 which caused all sorts of funny damage numbers to happen (like the 32000 damage from a cloak of fire on one mob)

However we realise that mages are having some troubles so we are reducing the cold/heat resists on some enemies especially the bosses and the fire/ice enemies so you should find things better after a patch early next week and the lures will have much more visible effect on these mobs.

Thanks!
I'm sorry admin, but I honestly believe this is a shortcut answer that will just cause more problems later. I appreciate that you are willing to look into this but lures DO need some changing! Enemies being weaker to fire/ice will definitely help, but it won't matter too much as we still won't really be able to use lures unless we are in a group or unless we want to lose 1/2 our health while trying to get off a second fire bolt... As it stands now, mage is by far the weakest class in the game- no armor, no amazing resists (dex will only get you so far), and now our only asset (massive damage spell power) has been nerfed.
Agreed.
We need lures to have greater range, otherwise they are pointless. Also our main attack (firebolt) has been slowed down way too much.
These two problems combined made Mages slow and weak. :|