Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: The statistics show: Mages half as likley to level

lvl 60+ 6630
lvl 60+ mages 777 (11.7%)

And I've gained 80+ levels on my mage (40-122) since the update, and (Mancandy) I am a professional, student, on the forums more than anyone else, and have none the less leveled from 40-122 since the update.

You've gotta give me this (the lvl 60+ data). There obviously is still something very wrong with mages.

If the last update really will make the classes played equally, it looks like that would take a few decades to happen from this data to get to 20% considering 60+ should already be hitting an asymptote from the update, and it is only at 11.7%, no where near 20%.

Please continue to offer your explanations. Thanks.
Last edited by mdimarco on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nerfed Mage ~140
Why play a class where skills cost more than other classes for same damage?
Why play a class with no auto attack?
Why play a class with 1/3 the armor?
Why play a caster?

Copy this sig! :)

Wiki: http://www.wisdomunderground.com/wiki

Looking at it from the point of view as a casual player:

it is because low auto attack, and slow energy regen.

I started a lvl 1 mage and his firebolt hits for 14 and his wand hits for 5.

Why shouldn't this 1 to 3 ratio stay constant through the game?

At my level I hit wand for 20 (with diamond) and firebolt hits for 400+

instead of the original 1/3, it is now 1/20.

I don't need to mention energy regen. Even if we max 2 skills, we still have to wait around forever and are 40 levels behind sigil users in skill.

We would have to max meditate, energy boost, sacrifice, and bandage wounds to be set to cast some spells, and then we would have no spells to cast.

So bottom line, these are my proposed reasons;

1. mages are more expensive (in real money) to play
2. Mages are less powerful to play

A more expensive and less powerful class just won't attract players. Hence the low usage.
Nerfed Mage ~140
Why play a caster?

Marco,

First, mages are spell fighters, long distance casters so you can't expect a bash on the head with your weapon is not going to do much damage.
Second, less people choose mages in the first place. I automatically went for a warrior as it was fist class on screen.
Third, druids are way harder to level than mages, but people stick with them.
Fourth, mages look fun to play with so if they are not being levelled it is down to lazy players choosing the "stand and hit" route.
Fifth, before the update it was really easy to afk a warrior/rogue/ranger a few levels a night, but not mages and druids. Now we can't so they will level at the same pace, which is slow in the Other World.

I don't have a mage, but I wish I did as cloak of fire is awesome, but especially when it is randomly cast on noobs like it used to be cast on me :-) :-) :-)
D0nk0 Lvl143 warrior
D1nk1 lvl90 druid (retired)
D2nk2 lvl70 ranger (retired)
D3nk3 lvl128 druid (dual log)
D4nk4 Lvl142 ranger (tri log)
D6nk6 lvl80 mage (retired)

General of PRIME
Proud owner of 2 full darkflame sets

D5nk5 lvl85 rogue (arawn)

My thoughts:

1) Mage doesn't have any unique ability which makes the class essential. Druid- heal, warrior - tank, ranger - bolas and rogue - dps

2) Mages require sigils for high levels (money). Can anyone show me a level 130+ Mage who is dps who doesn't have sigils?

3) Mages are slow to level (slowed down by energy shield cool down time)

4) lux equipment is not friendly to mages. Warriors, rangers and rogues can get heroic gloves (25% increase attack speed) mages has nothing equivalent. When ppl mention energy regen items have been included in lux please bear in mind this was to fix a problem abt energy regen for the class. In other words we need to buy lux items to be on a similar level to the other classes game play.

Other thoughts:

-To counter the pt that mages auto shld deal high auto damage, we have been granted cloak which in my mind works similar to having an auto attack.
- would it not make sense that having higher focus should in effect reduce the energy usage required to cast spells? While a character with low focus will require more energy to perform

Marco,

First, mages are spell fighters, long distance casters so you can't expect a bash on the head with your weapon is not going to do much damage.
Second, less people choose mages in the first place. I automatically went for a warrior as it was fist class on screen.
Fourth, mages look fun to play with so if they are not being levelled it is down to lazy players choosing the "stand and hit" route.
Fifth, before the update it was really easy to afk a warrior/rogue/ranger a few levels a night, but not mages and druids. Now we can't so they will level at the same pace, which is slow in the Other World.

I don't have a mage, but I wish I did as cloak of fire is awesome, but especially when it is randomly cast on noobs like it used to be cast on me :-) :-) :-)
In response to ur pt abt Druids being harder to mages, I would beg to differ given everyone wants to group with Druids to boss or lvl at an earlier stage than any other class. This translate to better equipment, more gold and more group leveling opportunities.

Marco,

Just in response to what you said:
Firstly, my druid seems to auto more than me with his totem.

Secondly, Agreed. I chose warrior because it's always the class i choose for RPGs. Mage's are normally associated with weak defence and low health: but extremely high dps. A warrior being able to hit hard and be hit hard. So that was my class choice.

Thirdly, a druid heals health. Admin says a mage is now an energy healer. Yet, if your running low on health its always "No! I need to stay alive. someone heal me please!"...that's because your going to die. And if you die, game over. Now if you run out energy you'll say "Dam. Out of energy :(" but that's it. Because your not mortally wounded. You have your health, that'll sustain you. Which is why Druids are much more useful as support, as they should be. (Mage shouldn't be a support class.)

Fourthly, Um. I agree with you. When I got to level 70 on my warrior I asked my clan what class I should make my alt. I said I was bored and needed a fun class to play. They said Mage. So I levelled a mage. It was gruesome. First few levels were terrible for me. About 10 times I switched back to my warrior. Intense pestering from my Clan leader kept moving me back to a mage. Now back then, there was only like 2 high level mages level 70+... I think. As the levels were put behind me, it did become a fun class to play. So agreed.

Fifthly, AFK, I afked by Warrior like nothing else :D When I found out I could :P. Didn't use my mage to afk...just because. In the time period in which I AFKed, I think i was playing my warrior so I can't really comment. Just that Warrior WAS good at afking ;). But we level at the same place? No, sorry. My mage can't storm through mobs to level fast enough. I'll kill 3 maybe 4 mobs and wait for 3-4 minutes to regen my energy. Sacrificing, meditating, energy boosting and bandaging. And yet it's still not enough. Sigils -_-, it's a highly expensive class. I was going to buy like 200 sigils but now I've moved back to my warrior I'm going to buy platinum for something else. So energy regen made my mage level a whole lot slower.

Cloak of Fire. I love that :) Agreed. But it's not worthwhile to level a mage just to have some handy energy fix and an extra DPS cloak around. Better to put that time and XP into a druid, a tank or a proper DPS.

Jtam, I like your thoughts, I agree

but this one:
-To counter the pt that mages auto shld deal high auto damage, we have been granted cloak which in my mind works similar to having an auto attack.
Supposedly this was nerfed in the update.

Now, however its not as useful as auto attack because you have to have aggro for it to count towards your dps.

I think it should be reguarded as a skill and auto attack should be raised to 150 on the top wands, and 50-100 on mid lvl ones. Sure frozen can proc but only lvl 130+ mages usually have access to that.
Nerfed Mage ~140
Why play a caster?

Marco,

Just in response to what you said:
Firstly, my druid seems to auto more than me with his totem.

Secondly, Agreed. I chose warrior because it's always the class i choose for RPGs. Mage's are normally associated with weak defence and low health: but extremely high dps. A warrior being able to hit hard and be hit hard. So that was my class choice.

Thirdly, a druid heals health. Admin says a mage is now an energy healer. Yet, if your running low on health its always "No! I need to stay alive. someone heal me please!"...that's because your going to die. And if you die, game over. Now if you run out energy you'll say "Dam. Out of energy :(" but that's it. Because your not mortally wounded. You have your health, that'll sustain you. Which is why Druids are much more useful as support, as they should be. (Mage shouldn't be a support class.)

Fourthly, Um. I agree with you. When I got to level 70 on my warrior I asked my clan what class I should make my alt. I said I was bored and needed a fun class to play. They said Mage. So I levelled a mage. It was gruesome. First few levels were terrible for me. About 10 times I switched back to my warrior. Intense pestering from my Clan leader kept moving me back to a mage. Now back then, there was only like 2 high level mages level 70+... I think. As the levels were put behind me, it did become a fun class to play. So agreed.

Fifthly, AFK, I afked by Warrior like nothing else :D When I found out I could :P. Didn't use my mage to afk...just because. In the time period in which I AFKed, I think i was playing my warrior so I can't really comment. Just that Warrior WAS good at afking ;). But we level at the same place? No, sorry. My mage can't storm through mobs to level fast enough. I'll kill 3 maybe 4 mobs and wait for 3-4 minutes to regen my energy. Sacrificing, meditating, energy boosting and bandaging. And yet it's still not enough. Sigils -_-, it's a highly expensive class. I was going to buy like 200 sigils but now I've moved back to my warrior I'm going to buy platinum for something else. So energy regen made my mage level a whole lot slower.

Cloak of Fire. I love that :) Agreed. But it's not worthwhile to level a mage just to have some handy energy fix and an extra DPS cloak around. Better to put that time and XP into a druid, a tank or a proper DPS.

Nice cross-class experience. This type of understaning is needed to balance the classes.
Nerfed Mage ~140
Why play a caster?

I think Celtic Heroes will run into the same problem as the old Dungeons and Dragons when class was too specific. If I remember correctly around the 3rd edition they changed it to allow cross classing.

In the RPG's now like Skyrim, you can mix your class and be warrior/mage, warrior/rogue, etc depending on where you want to allocate your stats.

Celtic Heroes doesn't give you that option and your a pure [insert class here]. If they make all the classes equal, why not just play warriors then? That is a big dilemma for this RPG.

Damn if you do damned if you don't.