Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Solo mage help- Re: Shields and energy boost

Hello all. I'm sure these questions have been answered before but im sure there are others still wondering as am I. What is the best way to solo level as a fire mage without breaking the bank? IE: not using a ton of potions. I have heard that buying a shield such as the one that gives 200 armor and some vit is a good call. Can anyone confirm this? Is the dps sacraficed for the survivibility negligible? Next question ... Skill set up... I would love to be able to incorporate energy boost into my build. Is it a worth substitute to buying energy sigils? I would also be pairing energy boost with a white rabbit pet and of course energy lixes when leveling. Advice and guidance would be appreciated!

Re: Solo mage help- Re: Shields and energy boost

Hello all. I'm sure these questions have been answered before but im sure there are others still wondering as am I. What is the best way to solo level as a fire mage without breaking the bank? IE: not using a ton of potions. I have heard that buying a shield such as the one that gives 200 armor and some vit is a good call. Can anyone confirm this? Is the dps sacraficed for the survivibility negligible? Next question ... Skill set up... I would love to be able to incorporate energy boost into my build. Is it a worth substitute to buying energy sigils? I would also be pairing energy boost with a white rabbit pet and of course energy lixes when leveling. Advice and guidance would be appreciated!
Truth be told, I’ve never solo leveled a mage before (only tag teamed with a ranger). However, I will say that Energy Boost is by far the best of the various energy regen skills in the game. My (fire) mage has always kept some number of points in it, usually just spare points after maxing out my primary skills. It won’t keep your energy topped up by itself, but it will definitely help. That combined with a rabbit and energy lixes should keep you set on energy when leveling.

I’ve never tried a shield, so I can’t speak to whether or not it’ll actually help much or not.
Have questions about anything? PM me!
Alternatively, you can rarely find me online in Sulis.
Go team #WorldSkillsUSA2019!
Harbinger of cold hard logic and reason.
Check out the player-run Celtic Heroes Database!: celticheroesdb.com!

Truth be told, I’ve never solo leveled a mage before (only tag teamed with a ranger). However, I will say that Energy Boost is by far the best of the various energy regen skills in the game. My (fire) mage has always kept some number of points in it, usually just spare points after maxing out my primary skills. It won’t keep your energy topped up by itself, but it will definitely help. That combined with a rabbit and energy lixes should keep you set on energy when leveling.

I’ve never tried a shield, so I can’t speak to whether or not it’ll actually help much or not.
Okay awesome, thank you! That will save me a ton of gold instead of energy sigils. Appreciate your advice!

-) shield works great for that extra survivability buff, more than doubling a mages armor. You do lose a lot of DPS, and as such I only recommend using it if you are solo lixing, but if you are solo lixing you will need it.
-) energy boost can be a pretty powerful skill and it can to an extent work as a substitute to energy sigils. I always preferred to spend 500g-1k a lix on a heroic energy elixir and put the skill points into energy shield or another DPS skill (ice shards for example), however if you are unable to afford or would rather spend your gold elsewhere, energy boost can work as a substitute.
Feel free to pm me about anything or talk to me in game :D
Bob The God
This Bob guy is a guide? Legitimately?
Former EG try hard who’s now relaxing midgame on crom.
Fire Mages are where its at

-) shield works great for that extra survivability buff, more than doubling a mages armor. You do lose a lot of DPS, and as such I only recommend using it if you are solo lixing, but if you are solo lixing you will need it.
-) energy boost can be a pretty powerful skill and it can to an extent work as a substitute to energy sigils. I always preferred to spend 500g-1k a lix on a heroic energy elixir and put the skill points into energy shield or another DPS skill (ice shards for example), however if you are unable to afford or would rather spend your gold elsewhere, energy boost can work as a substitute.
Thank you Bob!!!! Exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated. One last question, hypothetically if I could afford it ... Would you recommend hotswapping between shield and focus offhand?

Thank you Bob!!!! Exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated. One last question, hypothetically if I could afford it ... Would you recommend hotswapping between shield and focus offhand?
At this level range, all you are really doing is leveling and a few quest bosses on the side, but nothing where you really need to worry about doing too damage. If you were only leveling with a group and you were doing some bossing as well, I would say go for the seer, but from the sound of it this isn’t the case and as such I don’t see it worth being getting a seer. Save the gold and put it towards more lixs or some energy sigils.
Bob The God

At this level range, all you are really doing is leveling and a few quest bosses on the side, but nothing where you really need to worry about doing too damage. If you were only leveling with a group and you were doing some bossing as well, I would say go for the seer, but from the sound of it this isn’t the case and as such I don’t see it worth being getting a seer. Save the gold and put it towards more lixs or some energy sigils.
Thank you Bob! Appreciate the help!!!

I solo'ed my mage from 1-214 with these skills: fire lure, fire bolt, firestorm, e-shield, fire attun, and extras in shards. I've never used e-boost, i find it a waste of points (just my opinion)
I didn't have sigils until i was nearly 200 but i never needed them because i was never out of combat long enough for them to do much good. For energy regen i always used hero lixes which are cheap (500g-1k)
I found it invaluable to have a lux neck the gives a shield skill (currently using preceptor ammy). That combined with e-shield means you can take alot of dmg without feeling a thing. Very rarely had to use restos because of that combo.
Also dont kill 4 star mobs, they are not worth the headache, they can be killed but you have to time it right and even still...things can go awry. 1 and 2 star mobs die in 2-3 hits (or 1 with i nice crit) and 3 stars are not bad to deal with as long as you can get a shield up before or during the fight
Smaaug: level 224 rogue
Br1s1ingr: level 223 mage
Orya: level 220 ranger
Yarwo: level 168 druid
Toxic

sulis

I solo'ed my mage from 1-214 with these skills: fire lure, fire bolt, firestorm, e-shield, fire attun, and extras in shards. I've never used e-boost, i find it a waste of points (just my opinion)
I didn't have sigils until i was nearly 200 but i never needed them because i was never out of combat long enough for them to do much good. For energy regen i always used hero lixes which are cheap (500g-1k)
I found it invaluable to have a lux neck the gives a shield skill (currently using preceptor ammy). That combined with e-shield means you can take alot of dmg without feeling a thing. Very rarely had to use restos because of that combo.
Also dont kill 4 star mobs, they are not worth the headache, they can be killed but you have to time it right and even still...things can go awry. 1 and 2 star mobs die in 2-3 hits (or 1 with i nice crit) and 3 stars are not bad to deal with as long as you can get a shield up before or during the fight
Skipping 4*'s is what I did for most of my time leveling, but with a mages DPS if you can kill them they can be quite a nice reward XP wise.
It really just comes down to gameplay I would argue. For some they want to be a bit tankier, donning a shield and e shield with some higher vit might be more their style. I played full focus from 160 to end game, so I went a different route.
Back on track, this definitely works as a strat for easily leveling a mage, I've done it, others have done it, and it works well enough :)
Bob The God