Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: Auction House: Per Server, or Platform-wide?

im being a realist in NOT comparing decades old pc gaming platforms.
you cannot compare CH with old PC games. 2 different worlds and generations.
decades old pc games? you obviously haven't played any other iOS or Android MMORPGs. In fact, the most popular one doesn't have a universal auction house.
but I garauntee you a lot more players would log and be active if platform wide. and have better chance to succeed.

If players are not logging into the game, an Auction House will not make them play more. let's be honest and not pretend that a universal AH will fix whatever is broken in the game that's making players quit.

There are two types of people in this world: Those who crave closure

A business is more profitable if they don't gouge and piss off customers.

but it's something new that has never been done on these platforms ...we need side entertainment system that are gonna have a chance or a big impact.
I'm not against the people (like yourself) who don't want it.

I just think we need platform wide to actually have a decent chance.

if it don't work or not for a lot of players then we still have server only apps..to fall back on.

server only auction house doesn't inspire anyone in CH. it's just not needed.
Last edited by Lawsdog222 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

if players are not logging into the game, an Auction House will not make them login and play more. let's be honest and not pretend that a universal AH will fix whatever is broken in the game that's making players quit.
A single small improvement won't keep people logging, but many small improvements do help keep people somewhat interested. It's like the difference between low and high tier gear. A single godly ring or void item over a basic set doesn't add much but if you have a lot of them it is substantially better than not.

I feel there are too many problems with all server auction houses myself. However, all server arena battles with prizes would be extreme amazeballs extroidanare I'm just not daring enough to hope for a big improvement.
Last edited by Plus3 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of Aeon - Taranis - 24 boxer
220+ toons
Ravenleaf druid - Silverstring ranger
Stormsong warrior - Nwerb Mage - Eventide Rogue

Toon histogram:
Level_____|200+|150-199|100-149|50-99|20-49|1-19|
# of toons|_5__|___16___|____3___|__11__|__21_|407|

but it's something new that has never been done on these platforms ...we need side entertainment system that are gonna have a chance or a big impact.

I just think we need it to actually have a decent chance.

if it don't work or not for a lot of players then we still have server only apps..to fall back on.
You underestimate the impact. AH is not a side entertainment and I do not even consider it "horizontal content". It's a much needed system to streamline buying and selling and foster trade without hassles and risk.

Plus, if OTM makes it universal, then server economies are negatively affected, there is no way to fix it. Do you really think OTM will revert to server only AH? I doubt that very much.

There are two types of people in this world: Those who crave closure

A business is more profitable if they don't gouge and piss off customers.

I just think we need it to actually have a decent chance.

You underestimate the impact. AH is not a side entertainment and I do not even consider it "horizontal content". It's a much needed system to streamline buying and selling and foster trade without hassles and risk.

Plus, if OTM makes it universal, then server economies are negatively affected, there is no way to fix it. Do you really think OTM will revert to server only AH? I doubt that very much.
but then I think you over estimate the impact...

here is a little stat snippet from danu market app over last 6 months.

on normal stuff average... 4 items per 24hour. (many duplicate over 3 days)

rare fash/sets 1 item maybe every 6 months. (also in game offers, not in app)

high tiered gear....black market mainly never advertised. but I've seen on average ...3/4 items get through every 6 months.

low tiered gear/lux gear ...1 item every week.

hardly needs streamlining...lol

Aileron, i am certain there would be a huge initial impact. But you are pushing a narrative that the impact would be only negative. To whom? To you, we all hear this loud and clear. Personally i believe that to be inaccurate; a smart person on the top finds a way to remain on the top as the land mass grows.

Trade agreements are part of the negotitation, and I am certain that agreements among certain server leaders would arise. Certain economies would becone major producers of x, others of y - and some would have trade imbalances where the import more than export. These are not negative, but merely realities.

My guess is that the realities of enacting this structure have some challenges for admin in the database admin and the full mapping of certain variables. But the larger system would be no doubt more fun. It would also re-surface the benefit of a cross-clan generic alliance-level chat color, and then in a couple further years lead to possible cross server chat porral areas and immigration/emigration of minimum required stay length before moving again. Its fun, not negative. Its change, and we get creative to spot the new opportunities to create higher agreements, like trade agreements and supply agreements, and punitive/restorative measures when agreements are violated. This is what I like to call: irl :)
OTM: 6s+ running iOS 10.3

gingerkhan (warrior) 200+ .. agent99 (rogue) 200+
ancient member of craven .. current member of ancients

server economies would be the same if platform wide?..absolute rubbish. that's whole point of a auction house. (there is enuff variables in the game)

due to the diff servers attitudes that have (organically been) made like you say. so we are all different as is.
it's exactly same in the real world, cultures ,development rates ratios etc etc..no country is the same and never will be due to this..but countries still trade with each other be it differently.

but...

platform wide provides a new challenge for all players alike...which is exciting and fun and what this game/player needs drastically for horizontal content.

that's the part your afraid of.

I couldn't care about my fash gear rares collection organic server values...I just want to give auction house the best chance to actually work.

I'm not afraid of it.

otm benefit is more players would login and be active on the platform wide auction house (that's the whole point)

nobody is going to login with server restricted auction house are they let's be a realist here?
or do you want to carry on with totally restricted app server (even clan only) markets for life? ffs.
A vast majority of MMOs do not have a universal auction house. Each world has their own, and it has worked well for decades. Now who isn't being a realist here?
Nothing wrong with server-only auction house. Less variables that way too.

You can't compare auction house in CH to free trade in the real world lol. The fact that goods are bid on, already makes it a different system. Do you see China and Japan bidding on US exports? No. They are based on trade agreements.
im being a realist in NOT comparing decades old pc gaming platforms.
you cannot compare CH with old PC games. 2 different worlds and generations.

which platform do you play most now?
ok let's keep wasting otm coding time and let's all get more inactive and not try to bring more horizontal content to game...

but I garauntee you a lot more players would log and be active if platform wide. and have better chance to succeed.

and you backing having server only auction house. flunks.

do you agree on that?

I would agree with you what was the point of having wasting all that effort on a server only auction house only....fishing anyone?
:lol: No reason to get passive aggressive. I am not an "old old" player and I still have a decent share of some rare fash and items. On my server more new players have access to rare fash than some old players. Im sorry that you don't feel like spending gold on rare fash and as a result you want OTM to screw up the game to make it easier for you lol. But because you say im saying economy with no idea as to what it entails let me explain...

Economy refers to a delicate balance between supply and demand. Over the past, think it was said, 6 years the IOS servers have found this balance. As a result gold balance per player etc have also balanced. If SK/Xp elixiers on Arawn cost 4k but they may cost 3k on epona. Some may say that is unfair to the 4k servers but it isn't. They cost 4k because of the ammount of players that need the elixirs so the sellers can charge more. If the auction house went cross platform your right prices would balance out over a period of time. But at the start prices would crash. So ya, all those rich old players you hate would be able to swoop in and grab all that cheap fash. Why would it crash you say? Because demand has remained constant. But supply has dramatically increased. When S increases but D remains constant prices crash. (basic Supply Demand Curves). So ya rich collectors with a few mil of gold lying around will be able to pocket more fash from other servers. Sure some people like you and me in the middle class of the game might get a few more rarities but lets be honest with ourselves, the rich will get richer.

The fact that older wealthy players getting wealthier doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is the crash of prices overall. I never sell anything and even I realize how bad this will be. Why? There is a term in economics called "the invisible hand" that brings the economy back to normal. In the Short Run prices collapse dramatically due to the increase in supply and constant demand. But in the Long Run prices will rise. The problems are we do not know the time t that it will take for prices to rise or how fast it will occur. If it is gradual than fine its something the servers could adjust to. But when have price changes ever been gradual in the CH economies. Pet tokens on arawn went from 100k one day, 80k 5 days later, 50k 3 days later. Depending on time zone you may have sold one pet token 80k one day and 50k the next. Or bought. Mount tokens on my server went from 200kplus the day the came out to 100k the next day. This is due to a rise in supply and a drop in demand. reverse this picture and that is what would happen.

Now let's address another point I briefly mentioned above, the gold supply. Each server has a different interpetation on what makes a rich player. On arawn rich is 20m+ for example. (this is a rough estimate). Also because of how prices have been set for the PAST FEW YEARS the individual gold supply from buying and selling in this market becomes normalized. Plat buying can shift this but overall the amount of gold per player becomes some-what normalized, with differences in classes noted. Inflation etc all come into play with this gold supply. A drastic change in prices of goods, or items, would result in massive fluctuations to individual servers gold supply.

Going to take a break to develop this example. Servers like Epona that have massive quanitites of EG items for sale would see an increase in gold supply but a massive decrease in EG items, which would result in the server being less able to kill EG bosses as effectivly. As a result the SUPPLY of EG items has dramatically decreased but the demand due to less players having items that satisfy their EG needs, the DEMAND has increased. As a result Epona's prices for EG gear go from affordable to extremly expensive. And their own server will start to suffer from lack of EG items. Less players will xfer their etc and more will leave. In a dramatic look Epona as a server would crash. Meanwhile other servers like arawn would flourish from the influx of EG items. But since nonEG clans buy EG items more than EG clans this would massivly upset these servers. So in the end Epona ends up with a lot of gold but not a lot of items. Eventually this may balance out by Eponians buying tons of rare fash and mounts, since their gold supply is massivly inflated. But gold only carries worth if there are items to buy with it, but since EG items in this case are lost and epona is the major EG seller, they crash.

Going back to the gold supply. This would hurt middle to old players the most. As they are used to a certain gold supply as good and another as bad. A drop or increase in the gold supply could make their holdings in fash and just gold in general worthless overnight.

This is a basic summary of what we mean by "Economics" Next time instead of dissing us as if we have no idea what we are saying google economics...
Feel free to pm me about anything or talk to me in game :D
Bob The God
This Bob guy is a guide? Legitimately?
Former EG try hard who’s now relaxing midgame on crom.
Fire Mages are where its at

I might as well chime in. (against the Platform-wide, for the record)
My reason to be against it is fairly simple.
The more of a good in the market, the less the value of that good.
Combining 18 different servers (ios and Android) theoretically increases any good by 18x.
The prices on most goods would drop exponentially.
The buying power of 10k would increase exponentially.
Rare items, such as my 85% Cranfir Spiritsteed, (the only one on Belenus) would lose their weight in the market.
The more items there are, the less they are worth.
Simple economics.
#PlatformWideIsDumb
Crusher mm
Lvl 227+
Class Blunt Ammy + Axe Braces + Sword Rings = Best Warrior
Server Belenus
Proud General of Elementals

Crushermm is the best player ever.

Also the only argument's I have seen on this whole thread for a cross server economy are:
1) no reason not to
2) would hurt richy rich
3) redistribute rare fash

But other than point 2 there has been no evidence to support any of these arguments. No logical reasoningother than "It would"
Aileron, i am certain there would be a huge initial impact. But you are pushing a narrative that the impact would be only negative. To whom? To you, we all hear this loud and clear. Personally i believe that to be inaccurate; a smart person on the top finds a way to remain on the top as the land mass grows.

Trade agreements are part of the negotitation, and I am certain that agreements among certain server leaders would arise. Certain economies would becone major producers of x, others of y - and some would have trade imbalances where the import more than export. These are not negative, but merely realities.

My guess is that the realities of enacting this structure have some challenges for admin in the database admin and the full mapping of certain variables. But the larger system would be no doubt more fun. It would also re-surface the benefit of a cross-clan generic alliance-level chat color, and then in a couple further years lead to possible cross server chat porral areas and immigration/emigration of minimum required stay length before moving again. Its fun, not negative. Its change, and we get creative to spot the new opportunities to create higher agreements, like trade agreements and supply agreements, and punitive/restorative measures when agreements are violated. This is what I like to call: irl :)
If the reality hurts more than it helps it is negative by a pure fact of math. Harms = -#, benefits = +#. - > + = -
Also who tf is going to enforce these agreements. IRL we have the WTO to enforce agreements among participants. Who TF is going to enforce this IG. Clans have a hard enough time preventing gear from being sold and punishing scammers. Get your head out of the sky.
it's exactly same in the real world, cultures ,development rates ratios etc etc..no country is the same and never will be due to this..but countries still trade with each other be it differently.
Awesome, where is the reasoning as to why this is a good difference?
server economies would be the same if platform wide?..absolute rubbish. that's whole point of a auction house. (there is enuff variables in the game)

due to the diff servers attitudes that have (organically been) made like you say. so we are all different as is.

but...

platform wide provides a new challenge for all players alike...which is exciting and fun and what this game/player needs drastically for horizontal content.

that's the part your afraid of.

I couldn't care about my fash gear rares collection organic server values...I just want to give auction house the best chance to actually work.

I'm not afraid of it.

otm benefit is more players would login and be active on the platform wide auction house (that's the whole point)

nobody is going to login with server restricted auction house are they let's be a realist here?
or do you want to carry on with totally restricted app server (even clan only) markets for life? ffs.
Thank you for providing absolutly no reasoning for anything you said. Claims are not arguments.
platform wide provides a new challenge for all players alike
Ok... Ya i agree its a challenge. But if we want more aweful challegnes lets give mordy twice the hp and hrung 3 times the hp. Lets make Gele xtals respawn twice as fast. Just because it is a challenge doesn't make it a good challenge.
needs drastically
Only drastic effect will be that to the servers economy.
I just want to give auction house the best chance to actually work.
It will work regardless. Why wouldn't it? You provide absolutly no reasoning for why it wouldn't work at all otherwise.
I'm not afraid of it.
Aw good for you... Give me a reason why I shouldn't be afraid.
nobody is going to login with server restricted auction house
Funny, people logged in today, and there is no auction house. Why tf would this change log in rates.

If you want to rant go to the rant forums. This is a discussion. Contribute with actual reasoning if you want to be given the time of day.
Feel free to pm me about anything or talk to me in game :D
Bob The God
This Bob guy is a guide? Legitimately?
Former EG try hard who’s now relaxing midgame on crom.
Fire Mages are where its at