Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

The Evolution of CH

Wouldn't it be great if the Undead Fire Titan and Giant Skeleton rule Dustwither Catacombs? or the Connacht bosses still roam Shalemont Ravine regularly?
What if Ythair settled in Crookback Hollow and took it for his own? Wouldn't it be awesome to see King Vorum take residency in Dunskieg Sewers. or brand new zones with summer and winter wyverns, spiderlords, etc.?

Years ago, events did not last for months. The first ever event Halloween 2011 lasted about 2 weeks. Christmas 2011 didn't last more than a few weeks.
However, In the last couple years, events have become more drawn out and more complex. Event content is now primarily designed to use up a lot of time like collecting thousands of quest items or very low drop rate of items so players have something to do for the entire duration.

I sometimes wonder if all the effort of redesigning Lir's Reach every event, creating all new items, mobs, quests were all redirected to making mini-expansions instead. CH would probably be three times its size by now. This game would have about 30 zones with bosses and more game content for players, old and new. across all levels

Do you think the seasonal event model has been good or bad to the evolution of CH?

There are two types of people in this world: Those who crave closure

A business is more profitable if they don't gouge and piss off customers.

Re: The Evolution of CH

This game has evolved indeed, or devolved some might say.

I dont care much about all these events and what not, or if the effort is directed to mini expansions, I just want OTM to listen to it's players again.
Back in the day, when the players had a request or a concern, OTM was on it.
I remember specifically when otherworld just came out, frost orbs were class specific just like crests, and players werent a fan of this. After a few forum posts, the orbs were made universal very quickly. Why can't OTM be like that again?
Why can't you guys just hotfix the snorri crown droprate? Why can't you guys just listen to the players? Your player base is suffering. We camp all day, we grind levels all day, we grind through the performance and lag issues just to play this game that is slowly deviating from it's former amazing state.

This is what ive experienced in the evolution of CH.

TL;DR: OTM, please listen to your players again.
Gwydion - Xei - Warrior - 215
Taranis - Iridescence - Rogue - 225

Just want to make the game better.

There have been some great things in each event, and it makes me sad that some of these things will never be seen again. The new players will never get to experience them. I like the seasonal content, but I wish that some of it could be recycled into permanent content. I was so excited when the dark/dusk/spiritshadow armour quests were kept permanently. I wish that more things from events could be added permanently, and not just on a "rare spawn" basis.
YouTube | Mystery Chest Simulator | Cooking Guide | Legacy Boss Guide

I think it is trying to find the fine balance between events and content, with both you can never truly make everyone happy.

From my own perspective sure I would love more content, auction house? Great I can peddle my little wares, more bosses? sure I need drops.

From a company perspective I can understand events though, more content, new items, more story and is a main source of revenue.

Some people love events, like madly. The tickets, emails and forum posts we get are great but some on the same coin some people do not like them.

We definitely do listen to player feedback I mean I do everyday, at the same time I don't run everything and some things are a way for a reason that players may not see.

It is hard because a lot of people love what we are doing but you can never make everyone happy. Some stuff can be changed, some can't and some will be in time.

We listen, I always listen. We want to make a great game. I play just like you guys I want the game to be the best it can because I enjoy it.

CH is just following a trend that many other games are following. Years ago in game events were temporary with quite a bit of 'normal' time in between. In the last three years or so it's been a trend across many if not most mmo games to have a never ending series of events to provide new and interesting material to keep people involved.

I was pretty surprised it took CH so long to get a good daily quest as a daily login quest/reward is the staple of the mobile gaming app industry.
Member of Aeon - Taranis - 24 boxer
220+ toons
Ravenleaf druid - Silverstring ranger
Stormsong warrior - Nwerb Mage - Eventide Rogue

Toon histogram:
Level_____|200+|150-199|100-149|50-99|20-49|1-19|
# of toons|_5__|___16___|____3___|__11__|__21_|407|

We definitely do listen to player feedback I mean I do everyday, at the same time I don't run everything and some things are a way for a reason that players may not see.

We listen, I always listen. We want to make a great game. I play just like you guys I want the game to be the best it can because I enjoy it.
Not to attack you, but, why hasnt the snorri crown drop rate or the massive spawn of all things 4* been adressed?
Gwydion - Xei - Warrior - 215
Taranis - Iridescence - Rogue - 225

Just want to make the game better.

I get that events generate revenue, that otm makes money by releasing something new and shiny on a regular basis. And I think that is beneficial all around. But just because it isnt as shiny any more doesnt mean it should go away.

I dont think people should be able to farm skain til the end of time, that would be bad because everyone would be able to get a full set in no time.But lets say at the beginning of samhain, skain was boosted in difficulty slightly and put in a permanent spot on a longer timer, like hrung, necro, etc. Eliminate the 60, 110, 160, but keep the 210 and basically use events to introduce the new raid boss.

In time, new zones would be required to keep fitting these bosses somewhere, and loot tables would have to be expanded. This would mean the designers would make a permanent mark on ch, instead of just feeding the frivolous. Maybe the next zones would be just raid zones, tons of adds everywhere and a bunch of spots where future bosses would end up.

I just think more permanent content should be created, instead of having event content go to waste and never truly increasing horizontal content

Not to attack you, but, why hasnt the snorri crown drop rate or the massive spawn of all things 4* been adressed?
Was before my time so I thought it best not to comment at the time as I was unsure on the situation. Asking the team sounds like there was feedback on that change from both sides of the fence both for and against and nothing got truly implemented.
I get that events generate revenue, that otm makes money by releasing something new and shiny on a regular basis. And I think that is beneficial all around. But just because it isnt as shiny any more doesnt mean it should go away.

I dont think people should be able to farm skain til the end of time, that would be bad because everyone would be able to get a full set in no time.But lets say at the beginning of samhain, skain was boosted in difficulty slightly and put in a permanent spot on a longer timer, like hrung, necro, etc. Eliminate the 60, 110, 160, but keep the 210 and basically use events to introduce the new raid boss.

In time, new zones would be required to keep fitting these bosses somewhere, and loot tables would have to be expanded. This would mean the designers would make a permanent mark on ch, instead of just feeding the frivolous. Maybe the next zones would be just raid zones, tons of adds everywhere and a bunch of spots where future bosses would end up.

I just think more permanent content should be created, instead of having event content go to waste and never truly increasing horizontal content
I get what you mean on the more permanent content, hell who does not like more content? expands the game, more to do the list goes on.

The idea is good but the problem being if we eliminate the lower levels of a boss for a period of time then we cut out a large amount of content for lower levelled players (I'm only 94 myself I too would like to experience some Beltane content)

I like the raid zones for the bosses idea (Kind of like Gelebrons Arcane Sanctum) but that requires new zones to be created. New mob floor plans, loot tables and the overall floor, which take up a large chunk of time on top of the creating new content for events.

That ones a hard one because do you really want to create almost a zoo of bosses to farm? Lots to think about on that one.

I'll definitely suggest that as a future idea though, I would love to see Skain in a wooded area with lots of sprawling roots.

I like the seasonal events as they add new items to seek, however the term re-skinned is somewhat applicable in my opinion I think this is where those that are not favouring events have an issue.
Each event has compromised of the same basis.
:collect number of flowers/items to attain headwear
:kill mobs to collect items to attain novelty offhand
:event bosses tiered at 4 levels (usually tree/dragon/rock)
:new lux 100/150
:event chests with new mounts/fashion

In general all the above with a new coat of paint on, the best addition of late has been the bounty system yes it still needs work but it's early days and sure it will develop.

Rather than reskinning ostara/Beltane/samhein/Yule, rework them for completely new experience, have many different types of event setups that can be swapped around throughout the year.
I'm sure the community could come up with many different applicable ideas to revamp seasonal events for variance from one to the next

That ones a hard one because do you really want to create almost a zoo of bosses to farm? Lots to think about on that one.
I think you can do it, if you do it in a smart way.
  • you wouldn't want the hat collecting quests or wand quests to be permanent. But the armor quest bosses from yule 2013 would be awesome to be permanent.
  • Maybe have more bosses spawn like the Connacht bosses do; they have a few random spawn points but you need to kill the mobs to get them to spawn. Example: move the bat bosses (Yaltag/Daltag) from Samhain 2013 to the twisted tunnels, but people have to kill bat mobs to make them spawn
  • Also take some of the lower level drops and put them as a rare drop from lower level mobs, or make special mobs that drop these items (ex. Cronach/jalan items from a rare spawn tree, along the lines of the wisp mini bosses or goldleaf wisps in stonevale)
  • If you wanted to keep the hats from the quests in circulation, make hat mobs that are rare spawn like the bat/moon mask mobs or skewer/brand mobs. Mobs should be able to drop fashion too!
  • Use the bounty board: Make bounties that give a rare reward from an old event
  • Keep some bosses permanent, and make them spawn on the same schedule like the Despoiler. Not as often as Mordris but not as long as current old event bosses. You can also change up the loot table on the old bosses if you want to, to make it more interesting.
Maybe the next zones would be just raid zones, tons of adds everywhere and a bunch of spots where future bosses would end up.
I like this idea. Sort of like a retirement home for old bosses :D
I like the raid zones for the bosses idea (Kind of like Gelebrons Arcane Sanctum) but that requires new zones to be created. New mob floor plans, loot tables and the overall floor, which take up a large chunk of time on top of the creating new content for events.
But if it's not feasible maybe just tack a room onto an existing area where it makes sense to put the boss (Vorum in Catacombs, Daltag in Twisted Tunnels, Ythair in Carrowmore, etc.) Build the time it takes to make the room into the project plan for the next event.

Orrrrr.... you already have a big big blank area that's not being used at all. Remember Fingal's Cave? There's a huge amount of real estate below the MacCroin camp that's not being used for anything. Sewers would be an option too. Enter the murky vaults from the door, and go right. There's a huge area there not being used for anything but a few smuggler mobs.
YouTube | Mystery Chest Simulator | Cooking Guide | Legacy Boss Guide