Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Combat System

Hi

Somethink about the Combat system. I think the Monsters shouldnt Attack the Player that does the Most damage..
A warrior who is a good Tank cant do so much damage like a mage or rogue. So the Monsters always Attack the low armour classes, that make non sence.
When i use taunt nothing happen ...
I think when a warrior uses taunt on a Mob, the Mob should Attack hin untill the warrior Run Away ( isnt any more in Combat), die or log out.

Re: Combat System

Hey thanks for posting this, could you elaborate on what a real agro system would be?
Have you seen the linked video? Fast forward to 2:37, the threat mechanic.

This is the exact problem in any traditional MMO. Its not really that fun either. I'd rather kill monsters on my own than play with my friends in a party. Killing, tanking or healing, I feel like a machine!

Other people might think differently, but I think that the perfect system should "challenge" all players.

The only way to be able to change the aggro system is: changing the combat system. Removing the holy trinity. Give all classes the ability to heal, deal damage and tank. Now you might think "how can classes be unique?" skip to 5:20.

Also (again) GW2 did a very good job in making classes unique, but still give them the ability to deal damage, heal, tank and other stuff. Today there was actually a first public PvP match at Gamescon 2011. You can follow these matches live on Friday 19th, Saturday 20th and Sunday 21. This is the link + schedule. Both PvP and PvE are great fun!
Why? Because theres teamwork and active combat involved.

Now back to the aggro system: now that everyone can fill in diffirent roles, monster aggro could now be based on different threats, max dmg, lowest armor or other random mechanics. Because now teamwork is required.

EDIT: I can of course never expect you to make a game like that on the Ipod/Ipad. But I'd really like you to take this as an example. :D
Last edited by Ss heretic on Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Character: SsHeretic Rogue (79) Clan: Brotherhood Server: Rosmerta

How to Change it:
Don't make the Target of the Mob addictet to the damage He get From the Target.
Target should only Change if the Player, which is attacked from the Mob,log out, die, Run Away or a rogue or Tank cast a spell to Change Aggro.
Taunt would Be necessary if more then 1 mob get attacked,or Mobs respawn in the area.

You should ask yourself: what is fun and challenging?
Mobs attacking one target "tank" untill they die isn't quite fun or challenging at all.

Mobs are moving too fast also. When a mob sees you, it charges right to you. This way "positioning" isn't that important, but positioning is what makes things more fun also.

Short Story:
Imagine a mob (or boss) attacking the Druid of a party, the Ranger cripples the mob while the Rogue unleaches his attacks. The Druid runs away. The mob is moving too slow to catch up with the Druid so he starts dealing with the Rogue. After 20 seconds the Rogues health starts to get low so he uses his stealth skill to heal himself and vanish in the shadows. The Druid healed himself and takes over aggro from the Rogue. The Ranger uses his party buff to give the party 75% chance to block attacks for 5 seconds. The Druid runs around the ranger to lose aggro as the buff expires, giving him a chance to escape. The Ranger uses his "throw dirt" skill to blind the mob for 5 seconds. The Rogue stabs the mob in his back revealing himself from his stealth. The mob hits the floor thanks to the awesome Teamwork.

A system like that would require the current system to be rewritten completely.
Decreasing enemies movement speed. Changing/adding skills. Reworking aggro system. Thats about it I think :)