Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: Unexpected reset

Sometimes VR may need to do a server restart with very limited notice. I'd assume most of those cases have to do with fixing a very important issue, such as a security bug or something similar.

When things like that happen, VR can't give much in the way of advance notice, it's unfortunate, but sometimes unavoidable.
Have questions about anything? PM me!
Alternatively, you can rarely find me online in Sulis.
Go team #WorldSkillsUSA2019!
Harbinger of cold hard logic and reason.
Check out the player-run Celtic Heroes Database!: celticheroesdb.com!

Sometimes VR may need to do a server restart with very limited notice. I'd assume most of those cases have to do with fixing a very important issue, such as a security bug or something similar.

When things like that happen, VR can't give much in the way of advance notice, it's unfortunate, but sometimes unavoidable.
Sometimes is the keyword, the last 4 or 5 have been like this, post if reset is done at approximately same time as the 30min notice. As for the need for an emergency reset, most of us would understand that. general Maintenance is not an emergency they are always planned and should be able to give notice as they are typically planned. Patch notes used to always be forthcoming afterwards as well, this hasn’t come to be so lax, it’s ridiculous. How else are we to know what bugs / fixes have been implemented, so as to know we shouldn’t be having the same issues.
I am old and Cranky, Don’t mess with me

Mr Drak
Draknocht 223 rogue
Drakolas 223 ranger
Halefire 222 mage
Bombshell Betty 223 warrior
Lelelia 173 druid
And many many more

Hello,

We are restarting the servers for routine maintenance at the following times:

Friday, June 28th, 2019 at 5:30 PM BKK
Friday, June 28th, 2019 at 10:30 AM GMT
Friday, June 28th, 2019 at 6:30 AM EST
Friday, June 28th at 3:30 AM PST

The estimated downtime is 20 minutes. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.
Says routine
Warrior 222, Ranger 220,
Concordiia,
Donn.
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]

Sometimes is the keyword, the last 4 or 5 have been like this, post if reset is done at approximately same time as the 30min notice. As for the need for an emergency reset, most of us would understand that. general Maintenance is not an emergency they are always planned and should be able to give notice as they are typically planned. Patch notes used to always be forthcoming afterwards as well, this hasn’t come to be so lax, it’s ridiculous. How else are we to know what bugs / fixes have been implemented, so as to know we shouldn’t be having the same issues.
Ironically, the last restart was early Wednesday morning, which they announced Monday morning...but excluding that, yes the last few restarts have had limited advance notice, though it's been closer to 2 hours than 30 minutes for most of them.

My guess is that VR is just releasing fixes whenever they feel that it's ready to test, which is why there's limited notice - they only know when it will be ready when it's done. I suppose the alternative would be to wait with releasing fixes until a set day and time, but that would probably mean the devs would move on to something else without testing to see if their first fix actually worked or not....and if it didn't, they'd have to leave what they recently started and go back to what they were doing for the first fix.

As for patch notes, I do agree that it would be nice if there were just a sentence or two in the announcement about what the restart is for, though I could also see it not being very informative most of the time.
Have questions about anything? PM me!
Alternatively, you can rarely find me online in Sulis.
Go team #WorldSkillsUSA2019!
Harbinger of cold hard logic and reason.
Check out the player-run Celtic Heroes Database!: celticheroesdb.com!