Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: Ethics Behind Locking Threads

#31
Schwing wrote:
Zkills wrote:“Try being a mature adult”, this must be your first time using the inter webs. If ur gonna try and preach to everyone to be mature adults then you best never come on the internet again lol.

There’s no problems questioning their work as moderators, and I personally just don’t want them being so trigger happy with bans and thread locks. Bring back “3 strikes and you’re out” and let good threads with good topics die on their own and clean up any messes inside. Not gonna sit around and give the mods a little sucky sucky and tell them their doing a great job, because clearly a lot of people think that their aren’t. No more saying “this thread has run its course, locking now”, if it’s run it’s course then let it die on its own.

People shouldn’t have to fear giving negative but good criticism in fear of getting a temp ban


Luckily how these forums are run isn’t your decision to make. There’s no reason to fear giving feedback or discussing whatever topics not precluded by the forum rules as long as it’s done in a respectful way. If you want to fight and shout abuse at each other do it elsewhere no one wants to read people playing out personal vendettas.

then dont open the thread if you dont want to see it.
#HowMagicalAintit
-Accounts-
(World - Username - Class - Level - Clan)
Sulis - Appfan3 - Rogue - 155+ - Evolution
Donn - Infectious - Ranger - 60+ - n/a (R)
Lugh - Secret account

Shivahh wrote:Not gonna happen, bloodthorn and certain stubborn players sums it up

Re: Ethics Behind Locking Threads

#32
Appfan3 wrote:
Schwing wrote:
Zkills wrote:“Try being a mature adult”, this must be your first time using the inter webs. If ur gonna try and preach to everyone to be mature adults then you best never come on the internet again lol.

There’s no problems questioning their work as moderators, and I personally just don’t want them being so trigger happy with bans and thread locks. Bring back “3 strikes and you’re out” and let good threads with good topics die on their own and clean up any messes inside. Not gonna sit around and give the mods a little sucky sucky and tell them their doing a great job, because clearly a lot of people think that their aren’t. No more saying “this thread has run its course, locking now”, if it’s run it’s course then let it die on its own.

People shouldn’t have to fear giving negative but good criticism in fear of getting a temp ban


Luckily how these forums are run isn’t your decision to make. There’s no reason to fear giving feedback or discussing whatever topics not precluded by the forum rules as long as it’s done in a respectful way. If you want to fight and shout abuse at each other do it elsewhere no one wants to read people playing out personal vendettas.

then dont open the thread if you dont want to see it.
#HowMagicalAintit


This advice works for the Rants forum, but that's pretty much it. The Rants forum is designed for people who want to let off steam, and therefore forum users know what they are getting into when they open a thread.

Users don't expect regular posts - especially in General Discussion and Feedback & Suggestions - to contain petty arguments that are completely unrelated to the main thread. Users open a thread because of how it's titled, and when the content doesn't match the title, it wasted their time...and people don't like their time being wasted.

For example, let's say there's a thread titled "What's your opinion on the drop rates?". Forum users will open the thread expecting to see players discussing the existing drop rates, perhaps some pros and cons, and suggestions on how to make them better. If they open it up and then see that halfway down the page players A and B are having a back and forth argument about something completely unrelated to drop rates at all, they will just leave the thread and ignore any further posts on it. I did that myself with the latest locked thread...it had some great discussions for the first couple pages, but then it turned into a cycle of arguments and thinly veiled insults, and I just stopped reading through the thread....that means that I probably missed some good discussions that were scattered in the middle, but because of all the negativity it wasn't really worth it to me.
Eragon123 - lvl 220 ranger
Zamorak1 - lvl 220 mage
Retribution - Sulis
Sneaky o.O
Have questions about anything? PM me!

Latest Celtic Heroes Database Update: Character Creator! Go Team #WorldSkillsUSA!

Re: Ethics Behind Locking Threads

#33
Eragon123 wrote:
Appfan3 wrote:
Schwing wrote:
Luckily how these forums are run isn’t your decision to make. There’s no reason to fear giving feedback or discussing whatever topics not precluded by the forum rules as long as it’s done in a respectful way. If you want to fight and shout abuse at each other do it elsewhere no one wants to read people playing out personal vendettas.

then dont open the thread if you dont want to see it.
#HowMagicalAintit


This advice works for the Rants forum, but that's pretty much it. The Rants forum is designed for people who want to let off steam, and therefore forum users know what they are getting into when they open a thread.

Users don't expect regular posts - especially in General Discussion and Feedback & Suggestions - to contain petty arguments that are completely unrelated to the main thread. Users open a thread because of how it's titled, and when the content doesn't match the title, it wasted their time...and people don't like their time being wasted.

For example, let's say there's a thread titled "What's your opinion on the drop rates?". Forum users will open the thread expecting to see players discussing the existing drop rates, perhaps some pros and cons, and suggestions on how to make them better. If they open it up and then see that halfway down the page players A and B are having a back and forth argument about something completely unrelated to drop rates at all, they will just leave the thread and ignore any further posts on it. I did that myself with the latest locked thread...it had some great discussions for the first couple pages, but then it turned into a cycle of arguments and thinly veiled insults, and I just stopped reading through the thread....that means that I probably missed some good discussions that were scattered in the middle, but because of all the negativity it wasn't really worth it to me.


Pretty much sums it up. I’m guilty of it too. It’s tough. Old style forums have this weakness. I think that’s the reason Reddit works so well. The fighting and BS can be downvoted out of view, while legitimate discourse can be brought up.

Some are getting smart enough to at least PM their threats though. So the moderating must be working to some extent.
Clan Relentless
Praetorian V - 220 Warrior
PocketHeals - 220 Druid
Lucerin - 221 Ranger
The Bazaar - Trader

Re: Ethics Behind Locking Threads

#34
I believe that the moderators are doing a great job and no threads were unjustly locked. The moderators clearly have no bias at all, Robert, Dark Kitty, Armo. Truly amazing moderators with zero bias. They should be thanked for their great work for the community and keeping the forums completely clean of discussion toxicity. ($5 has been added to your account, delete this part of the message)
Belenus
Nee 229 druid
ApplesBe 225 ranger
GetBashedX 222 warrior
Rainyy 200 rogue

Nuada
Meja druid

Re: Ethics Behind Locking Threads

#35
Honestly, until you are a mod, you can't tell them how to do their job. I mean sure you can give advice, but just saying "do better" doesn't help that person.

I use to think being an actor was a joke until I was part of a mini production (it was never published) that one of my friends did. After filming an entire day just to get about 5 minutes of it in the film, I learned it is hard work.

Until you have done forum mod work, you don't know how it works. Give these people credit. It is harder than you think it is to be a mod.

For one, you have to deal with criticism big time and answer with respect which is hard to do and many of us refuse on the forums. That is just one of the expectations of a moderator/admin. So, shout out to the mods and admins for helping out the forums.

It is harder than it looks and until you become a mod, you don't know how hard it is.
142 Druid Sulis
122 Ranger fingal
92 Rogue Sulis

Image

Re: Ethics Behind Locking Threads

#37
HealsOfHell wrote:Honestly, until you are a mod, you can't tell them how to do their job. I mean sure you can give advice, but just saying "do better" doesn't help that person.

I’m sure it’s not rocket science to moderate a forum. Especially these forums. We’ve all seen Voldemort mod or atleast most of us. He knows how to moderate the forum but in a way where everyone likes the dude. So I say if you can’t meet Voldemort’s standards then drop the position... you’re only going to cause problems here
Zkills level 111 warrior, Proud general/last active member of the beloved KodiakReavers of Belenus.

Zkills, new mage of Epona, chieftain of KodiakReavers

Can you do the impossible?
Celtic Heroes Ultimate Challenge

Re: Ethics Behind Locking Threads

#38
Zkills wrote:
HealsOfHell wrote:Honestly, until you are a mod, you can't tell them how to do their job. I mean sure you can give advice, but just saying "do better" doesn't help that person.

I’m sure it’s not rocket science to moderate a forum. Especially these forums. We’ve all seen Voldemort mod or atleast most of us. He knows how to moderate the forum but in a way where everyone likes the dude. So I say if you can’t meet Voldemort’s standards then drop the position... you’re only going to cause problems here


I'm still of the opinion that it's the forum users, not the mods that cause most of the trouble. If you are respectful of others, follow the rules of the forums, and keep your temper in check, then you won't really have any issues with the mods.

Voldemort is a great mod, I agree with that. However, he hasn't been too active on the forums recently. As such, he hasn't had to make as many mod decisions, so there aren't as many opportunities for players to get upset about his decisions :lol:

Another thing to keep in mind is that different people have slightly different approaches to the mod position. Some are stricter, and others are more willing to overlook small infractions. Both are good in the right situations.
Eragon123 - lvl 220 ranger
Zamorak1 - lvl 220 mage
Retribution - Sulis
Sneaky o.O
Have questions about anything? PM me!

Latest Celtic Heroes Database Update: Character Creator! Go Team #WorldSkillsUSA!

Re: Ethics Behind Locking Threads

#39
Eragon123 wrote:
Zkills wrote:
HealsOfHell wrote:Honestly, until you are a mod, you can't tell them how to do their job. I mean sure you can give advice, but just saying "do better" doesn't help that person.

I’m sure it’s not rocket science to moderate a forum. Especially these forums. We’ve all seen Voldemort mod or atleast most of us. He knows how to moderate the forum but in a way where everyone likes the dude. So I say if you can’t meet Voldemort’s standards then drop the position... you’re only going to cause problems here


I'm still of the opinion that it's the forum users, not the mods that cause most of the trouble. If you are respectful of others, follow the rules of the forums, and keep your temper in check, then you won't really have any issues with the mods.


+1
Image


Angmar Reid—Herne—169 Warrior
RagingRedhead—Danu—183 Warrior (currently more active)
I don’t duel or dice. :D

Re: Ethics Behind Locking Threads

#40
Eragon123 wrote:
Zkills wrote:
HealsOfHell wrote:Honestly, until you are a mod, you can't tell them how to do their job. I mean sure you can give advice, but just saying "do better" doesn't help that person.

I’m sure it’s not rocket science to moderate a forum. Especially these forums. We’ve all seen Voldemort mod or atleast most of us. He knows how to moderate the forum but in a way where everyone likes the dude. So I say if you can’t meet Voldemort’s standards then drop the position... you’re only going to cause problems here


I'm still of the opinion that it's the forum users, not the mods that cause most of the trouble. If you are respectful of others, follow the rules of the forums, and keep your temper in check, then you won't really have any issues with the mods.

Voldemort is a great mod, I agree with that. However, he hasn't been too active on the forums recently. As such, he hasn't had to make as many mod decisions, so there aren't as many opportunities for players to get upset about his decisions :lol:

Another thing to keep in mind is that different people have slightly different approaches to the mod position. Some are stricter, and others are more willing to overlook small infractions. Both are good in the right situations.

A2842BDA-3A55-42AF-8AB7-246AC2B61938.jpeg
A2842BDA-3A55-42AF-8AB7-246AC2B61938.jpeg (108.15 KiB) Viewed 491 times
Image

Mystery Chest Simulator | Cooking Guide | Legacy Boss Guide

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dynamit3, Kingxxdps and 15 guests