Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: Love CH!

The issue isn’t that the game sucks, it clearly doesn’t. It has so much unfulfilled potential and that is the issue. That it is mostly unfulfilled. There are no other games out there like it hence why people play. There is a magic to it that most other similar mobile games do not have and I’ve tried most of them.

I’m by no means a veteran in the way many on here are but I’ve been around long enough to see the slide. In the time I’ve played I’ve only see one new zone and two new bosses (BT and Dhio). Loved the CG update and cooking update, both which added a lot to the game. Now all we see is reskinned this and that, rereleased fashion and mounts, there is nothing new to keep people interested. If I picked up CH as a new player today I know I’d fall in love with it all over again but eventually I’d see that the game does not seem to be going anywhere and that’s really sad because it is a fantastic game. Not knocking the VR employees here either, I believe they care about the game and do the best they can within the constraints they have.
New expansions won’t cut it anymore. With this logic the game should have exploded in popularity after the dragonfire expansion landed but it didn’t. OaC was CHs main competitor back then and OaC was waaay more popular than CH ever was for a variety of reasons (if gameloft weren’t greedy idiots and still continued to support OaC then the game would still be the best MMO on the mobile market). Dragonfire update brought us 3 new areas filled with content to keep players busy for a while. Carrowmore tunnels, fingals cave, and the sewers (murky and dunskeig were one zone at the beginning, split later on), which also led the way to 3 new raid bosses. Hrung and mordy at the start and I believe necro was added shortly after (necro is still considered to be the best raid).

All of that content in the prime years of CH still didn’t cut it. The problem is not content, it’s the core mechanics of this game and those mechanics need to change. There’s too many outdated features and mechanics that simply don’t work as well as they did in the past, loot distribution and the allowing of dominance being one of them. It turns away too many potential players.
Zkills, Proud general of the beloved KodiakReavers of Belenus, the G.O.A.T clan

Professor/Detective Zkills, op mage of Epona, chieftain of KodiakReavers. Server banned for doing PvP in arena.

Can you do the impossible?
Celtic Heroes Ultimate Challenge

The issue isn’t that the game sucks, it clearly doesn’t. It has so much unfulfilled potential and that is the issue. That it is mostly unfulfilled. There are no other games out there like it hence why people play. There is a magic to it that most other similar mobile games do not have and I’ve tried most of them.

I’m by no means a veteran in the way many on here are but I’ve been around long enough to see the slide. In the time I’ve played I’ve only see one new zone and two new bosses (BT and Dhio). Loved the CG update and cooking update, both which added a lot to the game. Now all we see is reskinned this and that, rereleased fashion and mounts, there is nothing new to keep people interested. If I picked up CH as a new player today I know I’d fall in love with it all over again but eventually I’d see that the game does not seem to be going anywhere and that’s really sad because it is a fantastic game. Not knocking the VR employees here either, I believe they care about the game and do the best they can within the constraints they have.
New expansions won’t cut it anymore. With this logic the game should have exploded in popularity after the dragonfire expansion landed but it didn’t. OaC was CHs main competitor back then and OaC was waaay more popular than CH ever was for a variety of reasons (if gameloft weren’t greedy idiots and still continued to support OaC then the game would still be the best MMO on the mobile market). Dragonfire update brought us 3 new areas filled with content to keep players busy for a while. Carrowmore tunnels, fingals cave, and the sewers (murky and dunskeig were one zone at the beginning, split later on), which also led the way to 3 new raid bosses. Hrung and mordy at the start and I believe necro was added shortly after (necro is still considered to be the best raid).

All of that content in the prime years of CH still didn’t cut it. The problem is not content, it’s the core mechanics of this game and those mechanics need to change. There’s too many outdated features and mechanics that simply don’t work as well as they did in the past, loot distribution and the allowing of dominance being one of them. It turns away too many potential players.
This is true. I've always said this game is too old school for the current market of mobile gaming. Most likely it will stay this way bc its not really an mmorpg in the sense that other games are, meaning we're just given an open world to play on with a few enemies and weapons/armor and the rest is up to us. I basically see this a game that the players run but VR update

Games pretty much one big social experiment. Zero interference. Left out to dry and see where it goes.

Mechanics no matter what the players do ensures there's no end in sight. Those who somewhat do reach the end will quit. Guaranteed. The social aspect is sort of disturbing in a way. In order for the game the survive, they can't grow. The moment they do everything falls apart. The game was literally created to be small number of endgame. They have made the game in a way so that if population grows out of control, one way or another it will be culled.

Problem with Epona in all honesty wasn't part of their plan. It's not following the population control methods they put in place. The game wasn't made to be an open server without any competition. Now Epona is suffering for it.

The game was literally created to be greed oriented.
Ashley A - 222 Mage - Novalis - Mabon
000000000000000 - 216 Rogue - Novalis - Mabon
Azona - 210 Druid - Novalis - Mabon

Then some Epona toons yo

Games pretty much one big social experiment. Zero interference. Left out to dry and see where it goes.

Mechanics no matter what the players do ensures there's no end in sight. Those who somewhat do reach the end will quit. Guaranteed. The social aspect is sort of disturbing in a way. In order for the game the survive, they can't grow. The moment they do everything falls apart. The game was literally created to be small number of endgame. They have made the game in a way so that if population grows out of control, one way or another it will be culled.

Problem with Epona in all honesty wasn't part of their plan. It's not following the population control methods they put in place. The game wasn't made to be an open server without any competition. Now Epona is suffering for it.

The game was literally created to be greed oriented.
Nobody knows what this game was supposed to be. In the beginning there was no lock system, everyone simply fought the boss till the very end and whichever group dealt the most damage won the drops. Was a free for all pretty much (was a lot more fair as well back then since there wasn’t a crazy power gap between clans like you see now days). I imagine that was done because of the limitations of the time, because CH was after all one of the first mobile MMOs to hit the market. OTM was also a really small studio. People then started to form clans and competing because if I remember correctly there was no dice emote either. Competition naturally happened because people wanted to be in their own clans and didn’t want to clan up with certain other players, and the only way to obtain loot was to compete for it.

Overtime one clan grew larger than the others which was the birth of dominance and more people started joining the dom clans because they weren’t getting loot in their original clan. Fast forward a bit and the lock/lvl lock mechanic gets introduced because of the mass amounts of ksing happening with higher levels and lower levels. This obviously gets adopted into bossing as well, ending the free for all’s and creating the ever so toxic lock battles, which intensified competition even more.

I don’t remember when the dice emote was put in but I don’t remember seeing it when I started in 2012, but with the dice emote came the idea of free servers and rolling after drops, the traditional MMO loot distribution method. Idk who were the free servers of old since I didn’t pay attention to any other server but Belenus back then but I’ll say Lugh and Epona were the two prominent ones.

OTM shaped this game around competition and dominance because that was the only route to take back in the day, and I don’t think OTM had any idea what they wanted to do with CH or what direction they wanted to take because they probably didn’t expect for CH to blow up like it did since mobile gaming in general was still very new, let alone mobile MMORPGs. So they just went with the flow, which ultimately stunned this games growth and now we’re sitting here with long outdated mechanics. It was a poor decision on OTMs behalf to allow for competition and dominance to take off
Zkills, Proud general of the beloved KodiakReavers of Belenus, the G.O.A.T clan

Professor/Detective Zkills, op mage of Epona, chieftain of KodiakReavers. Server banned for doing PvP in arena.

Can you do the impossible?
Celtic Heroes Ultimate Challenge