Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

Re: In defense of rolling

Im curious if epona can kill gelebron myself. since all clans work together has there been any gele kills on epona?
I talked to a few people there recently and they said the clans were refusing to help eachother kill gele at the time and muster the numbers. That was like 2 weeks ago so it may have changed by now. I believe they have killed 2 geles?
MortalCreed 225 Rogue
EMT 136+ Druid
Zapto 215+ Mage
Noob of Avalon:D
FULL DOCH GUL+VOID DAGGER
My YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/ajhrygBzBBU

And a couple things to bring up, there are toons with 'op gear' just as much as other servers. Maybe not dg wise, but general gear? You betcha. Because those that want the best gear attend bosses relentlessly.

They sell the stuff they dont need, and when something they want drops, they may not get lucky, but since this is epona, unless the winner is someone like them (competition in a sense), more often than not they can buy it using the gold/items they won waiting for that specific drop

And we do have lock battles, kill competition on most bosses, mages want to see how they stack up against other mages, rogues and rogues, etc, there is just no downside to losing a lock besides the loss of gold and seeing what dropped first
Washed up Epona rogue that doesn't play
225 Rogue Toothpick
215 Warrior Anubis

Here's what I don't get about rolls and maybe someone can enlighten me. Say you go to hrung and a touch skull drops, can any class roll on that? Like can a rogue roll on this and then an attending druid at hrung has to buy the skull?

The other thing I don't like about rolls is I don't like going to a boss and using plat items from plat I bought using real life money so that someone can turn around and sell an item thus making a profit off money I spent. That seems selfish and greedy.
Zyz 220 Druid
Noah Fences 220 Rogue

The vietcong and the zulus to name just a couple would disagree there.
Kinda veering off topic here but the US didnt lose Vietnam War because the vietnamese had inferior military power. In fact there were more Vietnam casualties than the US/Allied forces. US just underestimated the amount of casualties Vietnam was willing to endure because they were fighting for their homeland and high casualties on both sides and war being unpopular and protests did it for the US. Its not even a proper analogy. But if you consider "winning" as having more kills, then Vietnam lost the kill count battle.

There are two types of people in this world: Those who crave closure

A business is more profitable if they don't gouge and piss off customers.

Sounds like this happened once in several years and is not typical.

All systems have problems but in my eyes the more inequality for work done to reward given the less fair and the less functional the system will be.
Once in the several months since I transferred to Epona.

As a Pacific coast player, resets usually happen at around 4-5 am, so I have only been to one server reset.

P.S. No system is perfect, but in a system where most players are not multi loggers, and the server wide rules are agreed upon democratically (every high level player gets a say, regardless of clan status), you can't expect the rules to favor alts. It may not be just, and perhaps it hinders Epona's ability to kill the largest bosses as frequently as other servers, but it's worth it if the peace is held.
Last edited by Swan on Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Again, ur still putting down voting while defending rolling. Im not a fan of rolling, but Elementals of Belenus exists since 2011 with voting while we also take attendances at same time (and keep track, we count all raid bosses except gele until we'll take him), and Belenus until the destiny release was in top 5 of all bosses kills (in new engine release we had a massive amount of ppl quitting, mostly not being able to play, some couldnt log at all some crashed/lagged and never came back), and now we take attendances too and we're on our way to gele with 40+ ppl to attend on our first attempt.

To defend rolling u cannot put down another system, because just like u said, rolling may not work for us but it does for Epona. For u to call it worse and especially worse for large clans, is a statement done with little basis and a lot of bias, being an Eponian urself.
I dont mind rolling as long as it isnt my clan, each clan to his own and each world to his own systems and choices, whether its the DKP Avalon has or whatever is different in other DKPS, or as Zyz mentioned a mix of rolling and voting or just voting, each thing fits different playstyles and for us we always try to take a mix of other playstyles, take advices from other worlds and see how we can improve ourselves while still going the way we like to. I find rolling the worst system for me, but whether or not it works for others is something else.

And again, Lugh tried it and clans fell apart, Belenus and Lugh were communicating and helped each other on mordy and necro (our first mordy thanks to Lugh helping us with strategy, we gave those who helped us necro strategy) and we had a Lugh player who made a lvl 4 toon in Belenus and we let him join Elementals and all our groups, and he told us the downsides of the rolling system at least in Lugh, so for me I'll be against using it in the clan Im a member of.

I think u made very biased statements in this thread, and this thread as a whole is biased, and even tho u insist on defending rolling system, thats not how u should do it.
Wasn't my intention to put down loot counciling, sorry about that.

I was basing that impression off Resurgence vs Avalon. Both clans seem similar in strength, Resurgence having 100+ mains to gear however and each clan takes a different approach to distributing Doch Gul armor. Resurgence, with the exception of a full warrior set, is giving out DG piece by piece, gloves first. I believe this is because Resurgence leadership is concerned that other members late in line to get DG may feel unrewarded for their efforts. Members that feel unrewarded may become less active, quit, or (in large batches) even possibly splinter off and start a rival clan.

Avalon on the other hand is giving out set by set. Avalon leadership seems to be confident that all members are OK with a few being rewarded (first) for the efforts of many. Given that Avalon is continuing to regularly kill the hardest bosses in the game, it would appear that assumption is correct.

If your clan can distribute loot by agreeing upon who is most deserving, great. If you're a big clan and you can manage to loot council while keeping all your members happy, even better.

I should have clarified my statement, that rolling, DKP, and loot counciling all have their specific upsides and downsides, and for Epona in particular, server-wide loot distribution can only feasibly work through rolling. That would logically make both DKP and loot counciling "worse" methods, but only for Epona. I'm not trying to bash your clan Crim.

I'm not bashing Epona, I'm just curious as I'm a competitive player and haven't played on other servers.
For those competitive players in Epona, what is your motivation or how do you challenge yourself in playing a fighting game without competition? Why will you use combo lix or rainbow lix when you see others just doing less effort than you.
Why will you strive to be better? What are clans for if you can join all raids?
Clans are for close friends and/or boss calls. A lone wolf player could ask friends for timers and show up if called, but it helps to be in a clan a lot. And it's a lot less lonely.

Because clan choice doesn't really affect your ability to access gear, you're free to join whichever clan you have friends in... this leads to clans that are more like "tight crews" right off the bat as opposed to a bunch of people getting together for the sake of gear, who then form friendships over the years.

Motivation is for gearing yourself or for your clannies, which are usually your best buds. If your bestie is one yellow crown away from DL bow, you may be motivated to camp 180 for them. Motivation to lix is pride. There are also certain bosses where you're required to haste lix or you can't roll. The main tank almost always pops health/defense/armor, but those can be quite cheap. But yeah it's mostly pride that drives effort. DaWorstPlayer has told me time and time again about how badass his DPS is and how high his attack/damage stats are. He'll try to get the kill at boss encounters, and so will every other DPS player. From what I've seen, there aren't many slackers, and people like to show off their gear/DPS/tankiness/heals. If someone bought a reaper ring, they're sure as hell going to use it for just about every boss they encounter. Those who are less geared are usually just poorer.

I can't speak for everyone, but another motivation/challenge is trying to clan kill stuff. Clan kill is a boss kill involving only your clannies (and/or very close friends). This may seem counterintuitive to the server-wide cooperation I was describing earlier, so let me explain the difference.

On Epona, if Clan A and Clan B are at Hrungnir, members in both clans who are present at pull (pull = initiated boss fight) can roll on the drop. However if only Clan B is there, they are likely to start the boss right away and not call Clan A.

When I first found out about clan kills, I thought it would break down the Epona culture of cooperation. It doesn't though--if you want loot from a boss, time it, camp it, and if you're there at pull, then you get a roll. Even if it's 50 Clan B at Hrung and you're the only Clan A, as long as you're on time, you'll get a roll too. There's no rolling discrimination on the basis of your clan.

For example, you're entitled to a roll at Mord if you're present at pull. But you're not entitled to be called upon to Mord if you're ability lixing in SV. Your clannies and friends will call you, but strangers may not. It may seem like a slight difference, but the outcome is, it's still in a person's/clan's best interest to get stronger and be active, and at the same time there is no open hostility between clans (lock battles, lix griefing, add dragging, etc).

That being said, ideally it would be better for gear to go to people you like rather than people you don't like/know. This is why clan kills, i.e. the capacity to kill a boss with just your best friends, becomes important. Because if you happen to stumble upon a boss alone, you and your friends want to be strong enough to kill it yourselves without having to call outsiders.

I didnt take it as if ur bashing my clan rather than telling u to be careful in the way u attempt to defend rolling. DG wise I agree more with Resurgence, but I surely like how confident Avalon are in every choice.
#NerfMages #AvoidBalance #WhyPlayARogue #MeatShieldOnly #HealingSlavesOnly

OP dps warrior on Belenus, hot af melee druid on Nuada. #Elementals #Apex