Celtic Heroes

The Official Forum for Celtic Heroes, the 3D MMORPG for iOS and Android Devices

In game Death penalty *admin response, give feedback

In almost all MMO's there is some negative effect to death. In CH, other than having to use an idol or run back, there is no penalty and deaths are kind of frivolous. Nobody takes character preservation seriously. Bosses are often completed without any Druid presence and it devalues the class which is already the most under powered.

Body/item recovery
Gold loss
Exp penalty
Death timer
Debuffing effects
Item loss

All are widely used methods on penalizing a player for death and I think this game would gain a bit more depth if one were to be implemented. I personally favor the exp loss like how they had in everquest, players could potentially lose a level if they died too often. A run speed penalty to prevent leystone run backs would be interesting to see tested.

Please share your thoughts. I know most will not like this because it's a negative addition, but please consider overall game mechanics and how you think fights are supposed to be conducted (like a few rangers duoing major bosses and running back from leystones)

We can do something like this in the update that works as follows:

when you die a status effect is added that has no effect and lasts e.g. 2 minutes
if you die again while this is active, the status effect increases in power and reduces max health and energy slightly
if you die again while the status effect is active, the power is increased
if the effect times out after 2 minutes it disappears regardless of the power it was set to

so basically it will be a very minor death penalty but means there will be a very slight meaning to dying

it will go through beta testing so we can test it out then and see if it's a good addition to the game
I believe that will make dying over and over to a boss mean something. What about my suggestion of spring of life nullifying this death penalty?
I like that idea personally, anyone else like it?
Last edited by Tyrant on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Death penalty

And as anyone can see from my signature I have an obviously biased opinion in favor of anything that strengthens the healer class or makes them more favorable to have around. Druids are kind of a joke in the game, nice to have around but not really required unless it's a really complex boss like aggragoth. Rez idols are king, and most boss fights have an expectation for players to bring and use idols. I created the tyrant and friends gang to mitigate and hopefully eliminate my clans need for idols... This effort is kind of underminded by the fact: nobody really cares about having to use and constantly buy idols.

And as anyone can see from my signature I have an obviously biased opinion in favor of anything that strengthens the healer class or makes them more favorable to have around. Druids are kind of a joke in the game, nice to have around but not really required unless it's a really complex boss like aggragoth. Rez idols are king, and most boss fights have an expectation for players to bring and use idols. I created the tyrant and friends gang to mitigate and hopefully eliminate my clans need for idols... This effort is kind of underminded by the fact: nobody really cares about having to use and constantly buy idols.

I have yet to see/fight an OW boss without a Druid, except Maybe the 4 big eyes (not counting the All eyes). Heck, even some Non OW Boss, like Shiver or Blade, or Belly.
World: Rhiannon

I have yet to see/fight an OW boss without a Druid, except Maybe the 4 big eyes (not counting the All eyes). Heck, even some Non OW Boss, like Shiver or Blade, or Belly.
I've seen Druidless boss takedowns. Not all are able to do it, even if they do have idols. High end clans, especially those with high end rangers, are capable of and often complete boss fights without Druids or with way less Druids than normal.

I've seen Druidless boss takedowns. Not all are able to do it, even if they do have idols. High end clans, especially those with high end rangers, are capable of and often complete boss fights without Druids or with way less Druids than normal.
Ok, well that's Quite a Bit Far from saying you only need druids for aggra lol.

Maybe You're in a clan powerful enough to taken down bosses without Druids, but I don't think that's the norm, or even common enough to need a change in the game. Speaking as a ranger, I sure wouldn't mind seeing a few high level rangers taking down something like All Seeing without a Druid lol.

I don't like the suggested ideas but wouldn't be against some sort of system. A game I played had a cool system where after death all stats were reduced by half for a minute so you resurrected weak for a period of time, half damage, half hp, half mp, etc. I think a set back like this would be better than losing money or exp. The bosses on this game are also set up to easily be able to one hit many players which isn't always the case with other games that do have these death penalties.

Also, I know druids are highly prized in clans and always wanted, I think the real issue is they are boring to play in a lot of people's eyes and so clans work with what they have sort of thing.
Last edited by Guffy on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petition to Eliminate "No Shaming" Rule from World Forums!

We are kind of derailing. What do you think of a death penalty for in game deaths? Like losing a small amount of gold or some exp?
Not really; you pointed out that part of the issue You perceive is the uselessness of Druids. I was simply pointing out that I don't find Druids to be useless, especially in boss fights. Aside from War tanks, Druids are A Must for most Boss fights, IMO.

As for death penalty; I don't think this game needs it. I've played other MMOs, some with DPs some not. One thing they have in common is that their more... significant fights are expected to last Much longer than what we have in CH. CH is a bit... more simple, easier, if you will, and more fast paced.

An xp loss sounded good at first then I kept reading, the idea of reduced movement speed is awesome. I would definitely like to see some kind of penalty for death , as it stands now with the weak cool down time on idols ( should be much much longer) many players are more than willing to hack and slash a boss till death with no worry about how many deaths and they play without any real skill in what they are doing.

So yes i think this is a great idea .
Eliminater
Clan Avalon
http://avalon.guildlaunch.com/
Morrigan

ABOLISH TARGET LOCK

An xp loss sounded good at first then I kept reading, the idea of reduced movement speed is awesome. I would definitely like to see some kind of penalty for death , as it stands now with the weak cool down time on idols ( should be much much longer) many players are more than willing to hack and slash a boss till death with no worry about how many deaths and they play without any real skill in what they are doing.

So yes i think this is a great idea .
Thank you, that is much better than what I wrote.